Dental Problems are interesting

by Terry 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

My appointment with the oral surgeon was this morning at 10 a.m.

The tooth I'd cracked had to be tended to. I knocked the whole top off by eating a cube of ice. (Yes, the word "moron" comes to mind..:)

We started the root canal procedure and an hour later the tip of the drill broke off waaaay deeeep in the tooth!

Joy.

Finally, with X-rays and consultation we went for extraction instead.

Two and a half hours total in the chair.

But, I had taken a hyrocodone before hand and I was mellow through it all.

Instead of it costing $1900 bucks the total was $85 bucks.

I call that a mixed blessing wouldn't you? :)

The thing about dental problems is that we don't tend to them until they smack us upside the head.

Why are we so negligent?

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

It's the human condition. Nothing is wrong with us until it is really wrong with us. I just recently had a root canal done. I too waited way too long. It wasn't until my face puffed out to the size of a softball and it was excruciating pain did I do anything. My dentist was great though. I would have considered extraction but it was one of the teeth in the front of my mouth so I didn't really want to lose it.

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition
    Why are we so negligent?

Could be wrong, and probably am, but I think it's a male thing. You should hear the mother hens I work with after telling them I haven't been to the dentist since middle school. I purposely disregarded obtaining dental insurance this past year even though my employer offers it. The next open enrollment period I plan on picking up the dental coverage and getting a checkup though. Hopefully everything works out.

Glad you're alive and kicking Terry.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Why are we so negligent?

Because it's NEVER 85 bucks for me.

-Sab

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

So was the $85 the usual price for an extraction, or discounted to make up for the unexpected drill breakage?

• Glander
    Glander

My advice for anyone - even though you have no current problems, get an exam and cleaning. Take care of the things the dentist recommends. Then establish a routine of dental hygiene. I brush, floss, and use a waterpick. takes 5 mins. and can head off most tooth and gum problems. I am going to get one of the new power flossers. The last time I had a cleaning the lady said my teeth looked like they had just been cleaned. It had been about 3 yrs.

• Terry
    Terry

So was the $85 the usual price for an extraction, or discounted to make up for the unexpected drill breakage?

It is a very reasonable dentist clinic price wise.

The rates around town vary like you wouldn't believe!

I'll consider myself "lucky":)

• baltar447
    baltar447

I hear you. Dental problems run in my and my wife's families. Poor kids. Their oral hygene isn't a factor as much it appears genetic or we've been catching a super-bacteria and spreading it. Totally sucks. And costs for dental work are astromomical. I really do not know why they are so high.

• baltar447
    baltar447

Glander, do you attribute most of your teeth's cleanliness with the water pik in particular?

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

$85? Thank God for Medicare!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit