Who was the Gilead Student that jumped overboard?

by VM44 44 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

It's been almost 30 years since I read Barbara Grizzuti Harrison's book, "Visions Of Glory," but I believe she mentioned the incident about Thai student's suicide because of Knorr. Harrison was serving at Bethel at the time and like Bill Centnar would have heard about it from Bethel insiders. If someone has Harrison's book, check and see if she mentions the incident, as I could be wrong.

• zeb
    zeb

the more i hear of Knorr the more i dislike the man.. what a bloody nazi!

• ziddina
    ziddina

Not surprising that Knorr would coldly order her home via the cheapest means possible, instead of using precious Watchtower money to provide proper psychiatric care for the girl.

They've been opposed to most forms of psychiatric and psychological counseling from the very beginning. It goes along with their "don't notify the cops if there's a pedophile" mentality/ any admission of problems among the members seems to imply that "Jehovah" can't take care of his people, after all.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

If someone has Harrison's book, check and see if she mentions the incident, as I could be wrong.

I devoured that book - had to special order it and was glued to it for 5 days. Wish I had never let it out of my sight - but stuff happens..............I do not recall the story.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    President Knorr told Worth Thornton, transportation secretary, tosend the girl back to Thailand the cheapest way, as soon as possible.
    Arrangements were made to place her on a train to San Francisco and there she would board a ship for Thailand.
    When she learned of this she begged to be placed on a plane, or to have another missionary accompany her.
    She explained that when she had the spells, she could not control herself and if she were on a ship, she might jump overboard.
    Both of her requests were refused as being too expensive.....From Leo`s Post

It was also reported that Knorr would get TWO first class seats on an airline when he traveled: one for himself and one for his briefcase.
    It was speculated that he did this because he did not want to talk about what he did for a living (was he embarrassed?)
    to a passenger sitting next to him. Remember, in first class there are only two seats side-by-side.....Farkel

............................ ...OUTLAW

• binadub
    binadub

You can get a pdf of Barbara Grizzuti Harrison's book, Visions of Glory, on Randy's Freeminds Store for $6.

http://www.freeminds-store.com/downloads/visions-of-glory.html

~Binadub

• Farkel
    Farkel

I spoke for about an hour with Barbara Grizutti Harrison about a month before she died. She promised to send me a copy of each of her books, but unfortunately never got around to it. She also told me that should I ever visit New York City again, she would love to meet me.

Barbara had class coming out of her class. She was obviously ill, but every much the consummate classy lady, and was quite self-deprecating. There was not a hint of arrogance about her. Her book on the JWs is a treasure because it gives a story from a women's point of view in the 1950's. She had MUCH to say about that slut Bonnie Boyd!

Farkel

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Rather surprising to see the name Worth Thornton pop up in some of the threads on this forum. We used to meet in his home for the Book Study when I was a child. I didn't know his past at the time, but from his dignified air, I'm not surprised he was a well-known brother. I remember him passing away quite a few years ago.

• flipper
    flipper

It's experiences like this one that make me happy to have exited such a calloused organization with criminals running it. Truly a despicable, sad story

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Knorr seems to have been quite a cruel man.

Bangalore

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit