Who was the Gilead Student that jumped overboard?

by VM44 44 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

This is all I had at the time when I looked into this (back in 2006):

I am trying to do some research on the story of the Gilead student from Thailand who did not complete her schooling and who committed suicide on her return trip to Thailand by jumping off the ship (this happened in either 1956, 1957, or 1958).

There is no definite information about this woman's identity, and I checked Watchtower sources for women who were named as pioneers in Thailand in the 1950s, who would be possible candidates for investment as Gilead students in the U.S. These sources mention 5 women who were notable pioneers in Thailand in the 1950s, and three of these (Karun Chuthiangtrong, Buakhieo Nantha, and Sonsri Phanthuphrayun Darawan) are accounted for as still active in the JWs after 1958 (and are thus excluded from consideration). One of these however was a Gilead graduate in 1958: Buakhieo Nantha (Boa K. Nantah in the 1959 Yearbook ). According to Bill Cetnar, two women from Thailand were studying at Gilead at the same time and the suicidal student requested but was denied having a companion on her return trip home (a denial that had tragic consequences in the context of the story). This suggests to me that Ms. Nantha could have been the second Thai woman in Cetnar's story and that the unidentified woman was enrolled with her in the 31st class of Gilead (which graduated in the summer of 1958), unless Nantha was enrolled in the 30th class but graduated in the 31st class (if she was sidetracked by her friend's death). According to the 1959 Yearbook , 109/112 students of the 30th class graduated (i.e. 3 dropped out), and 100/103 students of the 31st class graduated (i.e. 3 again dropped out). If the 1958 Yearbook is to be believed, our suicide victim would not have belonged to the 29th class since all 103 enrollees graduated.

Since the only names released are those of the graduates, there is no published record of the name of Nantha's presumed companion. However, the 1991 Yearbook 's history of the Thailand mission mentions two other sisters linked to Ms. Nantha who cannot be accounted for as active after 1958. When Nantha was baptized in 1940, she was baptized with four other people including Kaeomalun Inthaphan (the sister of Chomchai Inthaphan) and Buakhieo Chaiwan (the wife of Kham-ai Chaiwan). Chomchai was an important early Thai JW, being the first primary translator of Watchtower literature into Thai. Kaeomalun was mentioned as playing a role in the spread of the JW message in Chom Thong, a district in Chiang Mai province, in the 1940s. But nothing is mentioned about her thereafter. No details are known about Buakhieo Chaiwan.

There could have easily (or even more likely) have been someone else at Gilead unnamed in the literature, particularly in light of the embarrassing chain of events, yet these two people are still viable candidates since there were so few JWs in Thailand (i.e. around 240) and even fewer pioneers (around 34), and both are linked to Ms. Nantha. Anyway, a lead is better than no lead. Do you know anything about these people or the case in question?

I may also look into Honolulu newspapers from 1957/1958 which might report a death at sea, which may help substantiate the story.

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

It appears that all gilead graduates to be came and went back to their assignments by boat.

• steve2
    steve2

I understood that "temporary residents" in the USA need to have identifiable and contactable sponsors who are like substitute next-of-kin. In the event of accident or death, the authorities must contact the sponsors in the first instance rather than any other individuals, including even parents and family in the home country.

I remember reading about this several years ago. Its authenticity has never been in doubt, having been documented by several individuals, as well as verified by thsoe who knew this young woman. A tragic story that sadly reflected upon the harsh face on the Watchtower. I'm sure that if such a thing were to happen today, the Watchtower's PR would go into full operation, cooing sympathetically about the tragedy.

• VM44
    VM44

It is possible that a second person traveled with Boakheo Nantah on the trip TO Bethel and Gilead.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Bats in the Belfry.....Ohh nice find! So Boakheo Nantah was enroute to the US on 27 Dec 1957 and departed the US on 17 Sep 1958. That helps firm up the dates somewhat.

Notice that these records are for ocean liners: the S. S. President Wilson and the S. S. President Cleveland. The story has the girl's return voyage on a merchant vessel. That is a broader class that includes passenger-carrying freighters. If Knorr was looking for the cheapest travel, it could have been a freighter.

Here is Nantah's arrival listing:

It is possible that a second person traveled with Boakheo Nantah on the trip TO Bethel and Gilead.

I am checking now.

ETA: I found Nantah's traveling companion, a second person from Thailand on the same ship:

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Interesting story. Heard a number of rumors like this of Bethelites and Missionaries having "breakdowns" and "vanishing" . A number of Bethelites and Missionaries I met were dumbfounded when they found out the truth about the truth at headquarters.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

That person is not our suicide victim....it is Brother Chantraboon:

*** yb91 pp. 230-231 Thailand ***

Among the 103 students of the 31st class of Gilead, whose graduation exercises took place in 1958 during the memorable Divine Will International Assembly in Yankee Stadium, New York, were two pioneers from Thailand—Brother Bantoeng Chantraboon and Sister Buakhieo Nantha. Brother Bantoeng had been appointed circuit overseer in 1956. He still serves as a special pioneer in the north of Thailand.

Those were the only two Gilead-bound passengers on that ship; so I am doubtful that the suicide victim was a student of that particular Gilead class, unless a third Thai student came on another ship. It seems more promising to look for passengers arriving in 1956 to see if there were two Gilead-bound passengers from Thailand. Still looking though. I'm searching for all people from Thailand born in the 1930s entering into the US through Hawaii between 1956 and 1958. About 350 names on the list....most so far seem to be university students.

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

Just curious - since Boakheo Nantah was enroute to the US, would not the other students also come by boat in 1956/57 for the Gilead school?

Would the passenger manifest not also list them coming from Thailand and going to "Watchtower Bible Sch. of Gilead"?

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

Leolaia >> Sorry, I just saw you answered my question in the affirmative.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

Fascinating historical research. Thanks, Leaolea, Bats, et al for sharing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit