I'm gonna have to decline your invite

by mrsjones5 42 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

" When I do choose to attend, my attitude is: accept me as I am because I'm worth it."

I like that. Thank you Mamochan

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

Mrs. Jones,

Is she calling your bluff by not counting on you actually going through the hassle to get there?

Call her bluff and show up with your daughter and a birthday cake...

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

"Get busy living" is the best advice I have picked up on this site. Good for you!

I like to send "Frienenmy" JWs and relatives I am not THAT close too a simple card and small gift. Something they will be practically FORCED to use and appreciate for many years...but may leave them wondering if there is a double meaning. 1. A VERY NICE KITCHEN knife is my favorite, followed by 2. a NUTCRACKER.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Why would you attend a social gathering where people are going to look you down and may even not talk to you.

I've been to JW weddings and my parent's own 50th wedding anniversary and thats pretty much what happened.

Unfortunately the JWS don't evaluate a person on their personal character but rather what position you hold within their

religious organization.

Even though for myself who was never a loud opponent to JWS, they still evaluate people on the basis of your JW standing.

Such is the case I've completely stopped going to any JW social engagement, funerals, weddings ... whatever .

My personal appreciation to these events is dwindled down to the point of nothing, might not even attend my JW father's funeral

not just because he was a JW but because he was such an abusive unloving asshole .

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

" If I'm following correctly, you've never received a personal invite from this cousin anyway, so do you think she's really be sincere, or as I said in an earlier post, because of the travel distance do you think she kinda knows you won't show anyway?"

A lot of family history comes into play here, our families aren't close. Her MIL was never that fond of her niece (my mother) and my grandparents (really my mother's grandparents - they raised her) giving my mother power of attorney and making her executor of the estate didn't help. They accused my mother of changing the wills and taking all the money. So for awhile there I hadn't seen that part of the family, saw them last at my grandmother's funeral last year. They were nice enough and this cousin asked to be friended on Facebook. So in my mind she's trying to be nice and wants to re-establish family ties but its not going to happen that weekend.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I like that you sent a response directly to her and not through your mother.

That alone shows your maturity, compared to hers.

I'm glad you made the decision based on what was best for you and your family. Bugger trying to please people who don't even have the decency to invite you personally.

You showed her more respect than she showed you. Good on you.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Update: my mother called yesterday specifically to ask if I was going to her cousin's anny party. She sounded a tad surprised when I replied in the negative saying I had too much other things to do (there was a big homecoming game at my daughter's high school, daughter helped build the sophomore float, tonight is the big homecoming dance and most importantly said daughter just turned 15 yesterday ). I'm of the opinion now that it wasn't the cousin's idea to invite me but my mother's. Another weak attempt to immerse me in jw culture to show me the errors of my ways perhaps? Could be, she's done it before.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Bttt

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

On second thought skip it

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

Is it me or are mothers more notorious for that kind of stuff than men are?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit