New MS - Looking for the "better" job

by nochoice 58 Replies latest forum announcements

• nochoice
    nochoice

Hello all. Long, long time lurker and great fan of the site - first time poster. I am not sure if I am truly a “lurker” since that implies I am apostate-curious. In fact, I have been mentally “out” completely for a long time, but still physically “in” like many of you. My story is very typical of others, “in” for the family. And frankly, no end in sight.

When I get more comfortable with this bold move of actually posting, I will share more and try to help others. In the meantime, may I offer a sincere thank you to so many of you on this board that have taken the time to share stories and thoughts. I too was helped to get out mentally by COC and our hero Franz.

I was recently appointed an MS after being “tested as to fitness” assisting in just about every capacity I could. This was my way of showing all the powers that be that I am as strong spiritually as they come. The brothers will be meeting soon to decide what new role I will have. There are a lot of servants moving around their roles because some are leaving the area due to lack of secular work. I am told, on the side, that I could be the new Territory Servant, the new Literature Servant, the new Accounts Servant, the new Magazine Servant, or the new TMS Assistant. Really, it could be anything, and it could be multiple jobs, as our hall really needs help. The only MS job that is not up for grabs is the Talk Coordinator.

I searched the site for a prior post that ranked the horribleness of each of these jobs, but did not find one-stop shopping for comparison. Typically, one would not have much say in the matter. But it’s an employee’s market, so to speak, at the moment, so hinting toward what I’d want might actually garner the “better” job.

I wonder if you good people would share your thoughts. I know “horribleness” comes in many forms, the amount of time required being a big factor. Assisting everywhere, I know some jobs are more horrible depending on the time of year – Territory sucks when there are campaigns such as Memorial or convention invitations and you have to keep track of what’s been fully worked door to door, and what’s just been worked for the campaign, and it also sucks right before the CO comes to town and all the territories have to come back; Literature sucks most when it’s annual item ordering time; Magazines suck more when there are more foreign speaking friends in the hall who order other languages. I’d love to hear to horror stories because I am sure there’s much more to it when you have the role. Certainly, some are more thankless jobs than others. And these little details that I just shared when assisting are only quick observations. The amount of time you spend at home working behind the scenes, etc., has to be lived for 6 months or more to be appreciated.

Thank you all so much!

• elderelite
    elderelite

Territory is by far the easiest gravy train. Avoid the goddamn accounts like the plauge. You stay late every friggin meeting and it eats up 2 or 3 hours a month in tedious book keeping.... Really any of the others, just beware accounts :)

And welcome!

• fugue
    fugue

I agree about Accounts. It's the worst. Although I've heard that they have software to do it now, perhaps? I don't know. When I did it, it was all on paper. And yes, I was almost always one of the last ones to leave because I had to count the money. AND you have to convince someone to stay and count with you.

Be glad Talk Coordinator isn't available. It sucks too.

Territory can be easy, or it can be a pain in the ass. It pretty much depends on your Service Overseer (or whatever he's called now.) If the SO is a hands-on guy who likes to do all kinds of different territories (phone, letter writing, business, etc.) then Territory Servant can be a pain. When I did territory, my SO was an old guy and he pretty much worked on auto pilot. All I had to do was keep the record up to date. And when the Circuit Overseer visits, he wants to see your records. He doesn't like seeing territories that haven't been worked in the past year. So you can help yourself by just doctoring the books. Find those territories that haven't been worked in a year, and check them out and then back in, using either your own name or a pioneer's name.

I was the Lit Servant for a while. It can be a pain in the ass unless you have a good helper. I had a good helper and I was always able to delegate stuff to him.

I never did Magazine Servant but it seemed like a big pain in the ass. Although now they don't actually set aside magazines for each person, correct? So maybe magazines aren't so bad now.

TMS assistant is probably a pretty good gravy train. Just give out talk slips and then call people to remind them they have a talk, right? I would think that would be the easiest job of all.

Good luck.

• Glander
    Glander

TMS assistant is probably a pretty good gravy train. Just give out talk slips and then call people to remind them they have a talk, right? I would think that would be the easiest job of all.

I was TMS elder for 1 year. Every week, there was always at least one no-show you didn't know about until 5 mins before the meeting started.

• fugue
    fugue

Yeah but did your assistant have to cover for it? I was TMS elder for about 3 years and I didn't have an assistant. When I had a no-show, I would ask for volunteers at the start of the meeting. Unless it was one of the elder/ms talks, like instruction talk, highlights, speech counsel, etc. Then I would either guilt trip another elder into covering it for me, or I'd do it myself.

Nochoice would just be the TMS assistant. I wouldn't think he'd get recruited to cover last minute no-shows.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

To be asking for a "better job" sounds like your heart isn't really into being a MS.

Do you really believe the JWs have "the truth"? Are you serving men or Jehovah? Or are you trying to impress a gal?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Welcome to the forum Nochoice.

Forget MS. You have to learn how to say no.

Instead, get yourself an education. Paradise isn't going to raise your living standards and is a really bad retirement plan.

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

nochoice - welcome to JWN.

While you're here and trying to sort things out, maybe you can answer a question I've had for some time:

In a typical Kingdom Hall congregation, how many elders and Ministerial Servants are there? Is there a minimum number? Is there a maximum number?

What are all of the "servants" positions called now?

When I was a JW (back when dinosaurs still lived among us) we had about 6-10 "servants" positions. There were no "ministerial servants."

Prior to 1953 there were the following positions in the Riverside, California Central Kingdom Hall:

"Company Servant" (changed to "Congregation Servant" early that year) - (typically a lifetime position as long as the fellow was effective, popular, and met service requirements). We had an excellent, dedicated, and loving brother in that position [Ted Rogers].

"Assistant Company/Congregation Servant" - typically hardworking and effective. Took total charge when Congregation Servant was ill, on vacation, or otherwise unable to attend a meeting or other gathering.

"Theocratic Ministry School Servant" - ran the Thursday night ministry school, made assignments, and typically did most of the critiques after student presentations.

"Literature Servant" - managed the storeroom where literature was kept. Opened the literature counter before and after meetings, collected 3 cents per magazine and 25/50 cents for books and ordered additional supplies as needed. Provided handbills (ours had the dates and times of public talks printed on them) and other specialty items. Would also supply Pioneers with left-over or out-dated literature at no cost for their field work. Was responsible for the accounts for literature.

"Accounting Servant" (this was often a double-duty job for the CS or ACS). This was sometimes assigned to a brother with no particular skills, but married to a sister who was good at accounting and keeping the books. My mother was acting "accounts servant' when my father was assigned this position for a few months.

"Territory Servant" - some Kingdom Halls had a separate position for this, but ours was handled by the "Literature Servant." Handed out and logged the territory maps to "pioneers" and ...

"Book Study Conductors / Servants" - This was my first "elder position" assigned to me when I was just 20 years old. Conducted the Tuesday night Book Study held in a private home. Eight to twenty JWs and their families would meet at a private home for an hour to study one of the more advanced books. Would lead prayer, assign a reader, and (typically during the summer) would assign local streets to those who showed up for pre-study field service. Was also responsible for Saturday and Sunday morning field service management if located away from the Kingdom Hall.

Some Kingdom Halls had "Building Maintenance Servants," but these were rare. Our janitorial duty assignments were handled by the Assistant Congregation Servant. He'd post a calendar with cleaning dates and times assigned to family heads.

---- Jump to the present ----

When I attended a Memorial Service two years ago, the local Kingdom Hall seemed to have an elder's position for just about every well-dressed older man. It seemed like at least eight elders were involved in the presentation. One opened the meeting, introduced the song, and then invited another brother to say the opening prayer. He then introduced the main speaker (I assumed to be the COBOE). Two younger brothers adjusted the microphones and also carried hand mikes up and down the aisles. I counted four brothers on each main aisle (total of 8) who stood at the front and back during talk and then passed the bread and wine when that process began. There were at least ten brothers acting as parking attendants before and after the meeting. I believe an ASL meeting was taking place behind me, but I couldn't tell for sure. At the end of the meeting, the main speaker turned it over to the first "host", who then led the closing song and called on another brother to say the closing prayer. Before everyone was released (the Spanish congregation was coming in behind us), he turned the meeting over to another brother who made some announcements about the special talk that was scheduled for the following Sunday. After the meeting was dismissed, a nice younger brother (in his 30s) introduced himself and his wife. He then pointed out his wife's father and uncle (not otherwisde involved in the meeting) and told me that both of them were elders. I'm guessing this congregation of about 125 must have had at least a dozen elders and maybe ten Ministerial Servants.

So - can anyone help me out here? What is the typical configuration for elders and MSes in an average KH now? I've looked through all of my current books and the WT CD, but I can't find anything definitive.

JV

• cedars
    cedars

First off nochoice, welcome to the forum. It's great to have you with us!

I am told, on the side, that I could be the new Territory Servant, the new Literature Servant, the new Accounts Servant, the new Magazine Servant, or the new TMS Assistant.

I would rank them as follows (most desirable first)...

1. TMS Assistant
    2. Territory Servant
    3. Literature Servant
    4. Magazine Servant
    5. Accounts Servant

Accounts servant is by far the worst job anyone can be asked to do in a kingdom hall. The tediousness is horrific, and it is a thankless task. Avoid it at all costs!!

The reason I've chosen TMS Assistant first is because there is next to nothing to do apart from hand out talk slips - easy work. Worst case scenario - you are asked to do the talk schedule, but there is software now that makes this easier. Territory Servant is a bit of a pain of a job, but at least you get to mingle with people rather than stand behind a desk before and after the meetings. It's a no brainer in my opinion. Try to get out of doing anything involving counting money or standing behind a desk - that's a fairly good rule of thumb.

Cedars

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

TS sucks unless you like the ministry. Mag serv is the easiest IMO. Lit serv is OK, Accounts do indeed suck.... Mr Sound Man is not a bad job either though LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit