Is America Evil?

by Orthodox1 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Orthodox1
    Orthodox1

Sent you my site Apostatethunder. I hope you like and I encourage you to chime in whenever you like to teach me a thing or two. God bless, friend!

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Christians are nowhere told not to judge, but since you think you know my Lord's words so well, lets see them in context

Except that the very first words you quote say "Do not judge".

A Franciscan Catholic created the scientific method.

You obviously mean besides that dirty brown Muslim Ibn-al Hathym, widely considered to have pioneered the scientific method.

I find it so fascinating how hard I work to show quotes from scripture, the early Church Fathers, historical statistics, etc., and my opponents use Wikipedia..

and yet you never mention the early Christians that said the ones you like were wrong. At least wikipedia lists it sources. The bible has as its source "invisible silent sky daddy.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hmmmm. Absolutism can never bring peace either....

• james_woods
    james_woods

The poster is a troll with no other agenda except a maniacal self-promotion of Roman Catholicism.

Notice that he immediately went off-topic on his own thread to go back to his inane pro-catholic ranting.

As I said before, I would be deeply ashamed of him if I were a Roman Catholic ex-JW.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    The poster is a troll with no other agenda except a maniacal self-promotion of Roman Catholicism.

Plus he's kind of creepy when you look at him in the face and one of his eyes if looking in a different direction.

Rub a Dub

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

Here is Catholic joke for you all.

One day col. Sanders visits the vatican, and gets an audience with the pope.

He proceeds to make an offer to the pope to the effect that he will pay 100 Million for the pope to change the lords prayer to say give us our daily chicken instead of give us our daily bread for several months. They go back and forth on the price and agree to the deal at 300 million.

A few days later the pope convenes his meeting with all the bishops and cardinals and says I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is we just got a huge 300 million dollar cash infusion which will really help us cover these pesky child molestation lawsuits, the bad news is that we lost the old wonder bread account!

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Orthodox said:

I find it so fascinating how hard I work to show quotes from scripture, the early Church Fathers, historical statistics, etc., and my opponents use Wikipedia...

You do realize that if you are trying to compare the morality of a RELIGIOUS institution to a SECULAR Nation, you DO have to be prepared to use more to back up your argument(s) than JUST the Bible and Catholic texts, right?

I know Bible-based morality; can YOU claim the same knowledge of secular concepts of morality, based on legal and philosophical precepts? If so, you're doing a pretty piss-poor job of demonstrating it....

King Solomen, who says this:

Oh, just for your own information: you're misspelling the name. It's spelled 'Solomon' (note the 'o').

I reply: since you are a higher authority on Cultural Anthropology, why not cite some cultural anthropology literature instead of Wikipedia? I've written many papers during my college years and since, and if I used Wikipedia as a primary source, I would have been laughed out of the classroom, and would be fired from my current profession. My goodness.

WOW: throw the baby out with the bathwater much?

For one, I'm not a "higher authority" in cultural anthropology; I just enjoyed the subject in my undergrad education.

I used Wikipedia because the information I found there was valid: the article relied on the work of (and cited) sociologist Marvin Harris, PhD, a Columbia-trained anthropologist who was famous for his field studies of Yanomomo warfare and culture, and his work in material sociology. Having read a few of his books on the subject, it jibed with my prior understanding of his work.

Are you actually disputing the veracity of Wikipedia's article? If not, then your anti-Wikipedia rant is invalid, and pointless.

And remember: YOU mentioned "deep forest tribes" in one of your posts, not me: I responded to your silly claim that morality was universal, and hence the same moral beliefs against murder could be found in all cultures. I disproved that argument with the example of the Yanomomo peoples.

Your idea of the hunter-gatherer culture is Darwinian, which again, is an idiology, but not based on factual evidence. Why would one tribe try to murder or commit war against another? Is it law, which they all come together to agree upon, or, is it distraction and an injury to the murdered? These tribes do not agree to warfare, they are IN warfare. And why? For survival, yes. To safeguard their wives, children, and land? Ah! The instinct to protect! Where has this instinct to protect one's life and property come from? Why be injured at all when seeing your wife axed down if she is only matter of relativism? Why love children?

A waring tribe can be murderous and agree that murder is good, but the same tribe might as well decide that no fingers is good. Does this then make them right, even relative to the rest of the world? How absurd! No! It would make them disabled! And yes, I can make that judgment by simply asking the fingerless to catch a ball, proving my point.

Bud, read Harris' work: I'm not in the mood to spoon-feed it to you, esp when it's clear you're talking WAY OVER your head on this topic.

Relativism is the last defense for men who have lost the argument against God, and instead of submitting to God, he reclines in his own pride and ego and says, "it's all relative", and denies any judgment that might be brought down hard onto his head. He would say to our Blessed Lord, "What is truth?" as Pilate asked.

That would be a conclusion (unsupported).

Relativism can never bring about peace, only war. If 7 billion people thought that burning one man alive was not immoral or evil, the whole world would be on fire.

Whatever point you were trying to make (?), that would ALSO be a conclusion (also unsupported).

I recently saw you mention the "Hitler was an atheist" claim, which not only is a lie, but also relies on fallacious belief that a certain ideology inherently leads to a certain outcome (and learn how Isaac Newton caused Hitler's atrocities, using the same logic as you've expressed about Darwin).

Here's a video for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP_iNCGH9kY

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

the idea that morality is universal is stupid.

some cultures found it acceptable for young girls to be married off

some cultures found it acceptable for young boys to be in relationships with older men

homosexuality was acceptable for some cultures

human sacrifices

cannibalism?

• Orthodox1
    Orthodox1

rather be in hades:

the idea that morality is universal is stupid.
    some cultures found it acceptable for young girls to be married off
    some cultures found it acceptable for young boys to be in relationships with older men
    homosexuality was acceptable for some cultures
    human sacrifices
    cannibalism?

So we shouldn't judge any of the above that you listed, because morality is relative? So, some people in the Catholic Church, who do grave evil (pedophile priests, murderers, etc.), should not be judged under your relativistic standard, making you a hypocrite in your judgments against them.... My head is spinning.

Here again we come to the conclusion that you, and people like you, will give a free pass to those you wish, and throw stones at those you wish. I, though, recognize evil, or immorality, anywhere it can be found, even in my beautiful Church and in myself, and I hate it (but not the people who partake in the evil or immorality, because these things we are all capable of). I can make the distinction between the person and the wickedness. Relativism is a perverted way of rationalizing bad behavior for the sake of the person instead of condemning bad behavior for love of the person, as you see in Christianity.

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

Taking into consideration America's shortcomings and ills, I'd still rather be here than any other country in the world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit