Is America Evil?

by Orthodox1 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Orthodox1
    Orthodox1

rather be in hades says:

point one finger and 3 point right back at you...
    "Do not judge others, and you will not be judged"
    - some nameless dude, from way back in the day
    wise words to live by though. if only if only...

Christians are nowhere told not to judge, but since you think you know my Lord's words so well, lets see them in context:

Do not judge, so that you may not be judged. 2 For with the judgement you make you will be judged, and the measure you give will be the measure you get. 3 Why do you see the speck in your neighbour’s * eye, but do not notice the log in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your neighbour, * “Let me take the speck out of your eye”, while the log is in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your neighbour’s * eye. (Matt 7:1)

Interesting, yes? That, we should first judge ourselves and correct ourselves before we judge and and correct our neighbor. RBIH, please only comment on what you know. I don't pretend to be righteous, and I don't go around calling everyone sinners, because yes, I would have to point the finger at myself as well, so please don't accuse me of things you know nothing about and keep to the topic if your dislike for me allows you.

Joe, you said:

But in relation to your stance (cf. other threads) - and again, this is a personal opinion, I believe that the Roman Catholic church, directed as it is by a single 'infallible' leader, is the closest thing I can conceive of as an 'evil influence' on the world over many centuries. More than any individual country or state, so far, and its influence continues.

What evidence do you have for this? Atheism in the 20th century, which I have chronicled with facts in previous forums (Hitler: 12 million, Stalin: 48+ million, America's abortions of 53 million, etc.) how atheism in one century has killed more people around the world than all religions throughout all the world.

The Catholic Church instituted the University system of college. A Franciscan Catholic created the scientific method. The Knights of Columbus cares for the sick and widowed. The Saint Vincent de Paul Society cares for the poor. The monestary system has preserved historical records and artifacts.

Read the Catechism of the Catholic Church and find out what she believes instead of judging her on the actions of some her members. This is the point I am trying to make about America. I believe it is ignorant to judge a body, whether a nation or a religion because of some of their believers instead of what they actually espouse and profess as faith. Go here and learn a few things, then we can discuss what you might disagree with the Church about: http://old.usccb.org/catechism/text/

...this is post #10, so I will catch you all later!

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

The Pope mandating against the use of condoms in Africa (and the RC Church protesting against birth control in the Philippines) is enough for me right now, thanks.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

interesting? not really.

so let me get this straight, it's perfectly ok for you to point to the wrongs in other people's religions, it's perfectly ok for you to say it's great for pagan world's and cultures to be destroyed. it's perfectly ok for you to call other people's ideals and morals evil and somehow that's not you judging people...

now THAT is what i call interesting

Christians are nowhere told not to judge,
    Do not judge, so that you may not be judged. 2 For with the judgement you make you will be judged, and the measure you give will be the measure you get. 3 Why do you see the speck in your neighbour’s * eye, but do not notice the log in your own eye?
    Slavery... Racisim... Corporate greed... Atom bombs used against civilians... 53 million aborted... A debt to be paid by generations yet to be born... An oubreak of child-offenders in public schools...

you know, one could easily turn that qupte around

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

as for the question, it's no more evil than many other institutions...

• JeffT
    JeffT

Slavery... Racisim... Corporate greed... Atom bombs used against civilians... 53 million aborted... A debt to be paid by generations yet to be born... An oubreak of child-offenders in public schools...

Except for the atomic bombs that describes pretty much everywhere. Actually the US has a better record on racism than lots of places. How many Afro-Japanese are there? Or Hispanic-Russians? If America is evil where do you put Nazi Germany or Cambodia under Pol Pot?

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

" Except for the atomic bombs that describes pretty much everywhere. Actually the US has a better record on racism than lots of places."

i dunno if it's better per se, but at the very least it's not much worse than anywhere else.

japan is NOT a good place for foreigners workers as i understand it.

you could point to the middle east, europe (lest we forget the french and the row about their soccer team?), africa (not only talking about south africa, that's all over. north and south egypt for instance, tribal wars, etc), those problems are everywhere unfortunately.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Orthodox1 said:

It should be obvious that no action is intrinsically 'evil', as the term is a judgment based on RELATIVE (not absolute) definitions and values.

Isn't that just your opinion based on relativism?.. The idea that all moral concepts are relative to the individual is an ideology based on an absence of God and morality (which is not provable but requires a sort of faith), which goes contrary to the world-wide agreement on fundamental human laws we all tend toward, even the non-religious. All would say murder is wrong, for instance, even without God's revelations through religion. This belief is coded in our very DNA.

You have a very different understanding of the term 'moral relativism' than I, where your definition is commonly seen on religious sites.

The Xians who run AllAboutGod.com actually bought the domain name for http://www.moral-relativism.com/ where you find THEIR attempt to redefine the term (in a balderdashed move at straw-manning moral relativism):

Moral relativism is the view that ethical standards, morality, and positions of right or wrong are culturally based and therefore subject to a person's individual choice. We can all decide what is right for ourselves. You decide what's right for you, and I'll decide what's right for me. Moral relativism says, "It's true for me, if I believe it."

I'd agree, up to the point where they changed the definition to include this: "and therefore subject to a person's individual choice; hence we can all decide for ourselves."

Nope. (That actually sounds more like a Xian definition of religious truths, where people feel they are allowed to justify the existence of God by saying, "It's true for me, if I believe it." Nope: reality doesn't care if you believe in it or not: it just IS...)

But back on point: moral relativism is NOT a synonym for anarchy, or calling for complete automony wherein each person decides their own laws, right and wrong. Obviously citizens HAVE to follow the laws and behavioral norms of their land, at their detriment if they don't (eg prison, fines, etc).

I know, the definition they provide is the kind of straw-man that Xians would LOVE relativists to have, but it's a bald-faced lie. That kind of redefining of the term is intellectually dishonest.

Reality is, most forms of moral relativism implies that moral absolutes don't exist as FIXED, ABSOLUTE, UNIVERSAL values, but their position on the scale between 'good' and 'bad' CHANGES, and is determined RELATIVE to other positions (depending on which culture(s) you're looking at and comparing, and even within a single culture the position changes with time).

Certainly you can accept that, as ancient Hebrews condemned sex with a menstruating as a grave sin, on par with murder and idolatry, but most cultures don't see it that way today (including Jews, Catholics, etc). Why not? Because ultural values have changed with time: hence what once was considered illegal and a grave sin against the Land of Israel is now legal, and often not a sin.

Oh, on this:

All would say murder is wrong, for instance, even without God's revelations through religion. This belief is coded in our very DNA.

There is no anti-murder "universal morality" gene found in our DNA. Why would people commit murder, if there were?

Where do you get that nonsense? You need to take a basic genetics course, as that statement was just ignorant of DNA....

The idea that morality is relative to the individual, when deep jungle societies have similar commandments as the Judeo-Christian word, is not a likely or new or reasonable idea.

You clearly have never studied cultural anthropology, and hence are unaware of the morality of hunter-gatherer tribal cultures, such as the classic Yanomomo tribe in the Amazon, where murder and tribal warfare is common:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yanomami

Regarding the differences in definition of a country and a religion, I do not make much distinctions here, but only compare one large body with agreed-upon principals with another large body of agreed-upon principals. We can easily destinguish between religion and country all day long, but that is not my point. My intention here is to point out that there is "evil", or if you prefer "societal contrarians" among us who do not speak for the entire body, but only speak for their evil, or misconduct within the parameters of agreed-upon principals.

Sorry, but 'societal contrarian' is not a suitable synonym for 'evil': the term carries the unmistakeable taint of God-defined morality all over it. I know you cannot see that, since we often become blind to that which we are so immersed in, that you cannot even see it.

My point was you wanted to compare a particular COUNTRY to a particular RELIGION: one is a GOVERNMENT and the other is a RELIGION. Hence it's a useless overly-broad comparison....

If you want to compare Catholic version of morality to another group, compare to, say, Mormons, JWs, or Shintoists.

If the Church says murder is wrong, and one murders, the individual is wrong, not the Church. If some Americans owned slaves, they would be wrong, contrary to the "life, liberty, and persuit of happiness" promised to all who were "created equal", but America herself would not wrong. Try again. That's utterly wrong. From Chapter 1, Article 1, of the American Declaration of the Rights and Duties of Man, “every human being has the right to life, liberty and security of his person.” Federal, state, and local governments are obligated to protect and affirmatively guarantee the human rights of all its residents, whether foreign-born or not, regardless of their ethnicity, color, religion, race, etc. The US Gov't has been sued many times throughout history for systematically violating the civil rights of groups of citizens AND/OR for failure to protect the civil rights of some citizens from other citizens. The most obvious example that comes to my mind is the Japanese-Americans who were placed in internment camps during WWII, even under the name of doing so for their own protection: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_American_internment In 1988, Congress passed and PresidentRonald Reagan signed legislation which apologized for the internment on behalf of the U.S. government. The legislation said that government actions were based on "race prejudice, war hysteria, and a failure of political leadership". [12] The U.S. government eventually disbursed more than $1.6 billion in reparations to Japanese Americans who had been interned and their heirs. [13] If that's not an example of America having been wrong and apologizing, including making reparations to families of victims, then lay it on me. We have a civil rights lawyer on the forum: they could provide MANY MORE examples....

• apostatethunder
    apostatethunder

Hi Travis, could you please send me a pm with which sites do you manage? I would like to continue reading your posts.

It seems obvious to me that there are some people posting here, hickjacking the threads that seem to have a clear agenda. I see not much of a point in debating them seriously, as they are not looking for truth, just trying to bully the ones that don’t agree with them, and to confuse the others.

Regarding the Catholic Church being evil, you only need to look at her enemies.

America is a country, but if it is governed by a morally superior code than that of Christianity it should show. If it is not, then the Christian code is morally superior.

PS. King Solomon is a troll.

• Orthodox1
  • Orthodox1
    Orthodox1

I find it so fascinating how hard I work to show quotes from scripture, the early Church Fathers, historical statistics, etc., and my opponents use Wikipedia...

King Solomen, who says this:

You clearly have never studied cultural anthropology, and hence are unaware of the morality of hunter-gatherer tribal cultures, such as the classic Yanomomo tribe in the Amazon, where murder and tribal warfare is common:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yanomami

..I reply: since you are a higher authority on Cultural Anthropology, why not cite some cultural anthropology literature instead of Wikipedia? I've written many papers during my college years and since, and if I used Wikipedia as a primary source, I would have been laughed out of the classroom, and would be fired from my current profession. My goodness.

Your idea of the hunter-gatherer culture is Darwinian, which again, is an idiology, but not based on factual evidence. Why would one tribe try to murder or commit war against another? Is it law, which they all come together to agree upon, or, is it distraction and an injury to the murdered? These tribes do not agree to warfare, they are IN warfare. And why? For survival, yes. To safeguard their wives, children, and land? Ah! The instinct to protect! Where has this instinct to protect one's life and property come from? Why be injured at all when seeing your wife axed down if she is only matter of relativism? Why love children?

A waring tribe can be murderous and agree that murder is good, but the same tribe might as well decide that no fingers is good. Does this then make them right, even relative to the rest of the world? How absurd! No! It would make them disabled! And yes, I can make that judgment by simply asking the fingerless to catch a ball, proving my point.

Relativism is the last defense for men who have lost the argument against God, and instead of submitting to God, he reclines in his own pride and ego and says, "it's all relative", and denies any judgment that might be brought down hard onto his head. He would say to our Blessed Lord, "What is truth?" as Pilate asked.

Relativism can never bring about peace, only war. If 7 billion people thought that burning one man alive was not immoral or evil, the whole world would be on fire.

That is all. ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit