Is America Evil?

by Orthodox1 51 Replies latest jw friends

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

no, you believe in some magic fairy god that endowed everyone with the same moral standards.

clearly that's not the case as different cultures have different standards.

as cultures and ideals merge, certain practices and customs have fallen by the wayside.

some groups, for instance, used to think it was perfectly fine to burn non-believers at the stake and they also felt it perfectly fine to squelch free speech by burning a bookmaker who wanted to help others see his version of the light. they also found it perfectly okay to enslave millions, while working to death whole groups of people.

thankfully their morals have largely fallen by the wayside as human thought and philosophy evolved.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

So we shouldn't judge any of the above that you listed, because morality is relative? So, some people in the Catholic Church, who do grave evil (pedophile priests, murderers, etc.), should not be judged under your relativistic standard, making you a hypocrite in your judgments against them.... My head is spinning.

Oh look, it's a ....

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades
    Here again we come to the conclusion that you, and people like you, will give a free pass to those you wish, and throw stones at those you wish. I, though, recognize evil, or immorality, anywhere it can be found, even in my beautiful Church and in myself, and I hate it (but not the people who partake in the evil or immorality, because these things we are all capable of). I can make the distinction between the person and the wickedness. Relativism is a perverted way of rationalizing bad behavior for the sake of the person instead of condemning bad behavior for love of the person, as you see in Christianity

the very notion that you can overlook all the history of the cactholic church, while claiming it's the true religion, while looking down your nose at other nonbelieving religions goes to show that you're more than happy to give a free pass when it suits your purpose. i am not. after carefully examining different religions and their histories, i came to the conclusion that i couldn't support any of them, especially one with as bloody and corrupt a history as yours. that's not a free pass, for anyone. still you seem to have some arrogant sense of high minded morality as though yours is somehow better than anyone else's because you think your god is better. this is more or less equivalent to some kid on the playground claiming his kid can beat the other kid's dad up. if you want to believe in a book that claims as real: 1. a woman turning into a pillar of salt 2. the parting of the red sea so that who knows how many people could miraculosly escape 3. angels killing armies in a single night 4. angels messing around with humans and having some sick hybrid child 5. ANGELS 6. some guy with magic hair 7. fireballs raining down from heaven 8. a virgin birth 9. some guy turning water into wine 10. same dude spitting and rubbing mud in a blind guy's eyes to heal him 11. same guy raising the dead 12. also feeding thousands with scraps that weren't even enough to have a family reunion 13. did i mention him raising people from the dead? go ahead and believe anything you want. just don't try and push your book and your self righteous sense of morality on anyone else. i don't need a comic book to tell me what i feel is right or wrong and if morality is really universal and endowed by some magic king, you wouldn't either.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Orthodox said:

So we shouldn't judge any of the above that you listed, because morality is relative? So, some people in the Catholic Church, who do grave evil (pedophile priests, murderers, etc.), should not be judged under your relativistic standard, making you a hypocrite in your judgments against them.... My head is spinning.

Here again we come to the conclusion that you, and people like you, will give a free pass to those you wish, and throw stones at those you wish. I, though, recognize evil, or immorality, anywhere it can be found, even in my beautiful Church and in myself, and I hate it (but not the people who partake in the evil or immorality, because these things we are all capable of). I can make the distinction between the person and the wickedness. Relativism is a perverted way of rationalizing bad behavior for the sake of the person instead of condemning bad behavior for love of the person, as you see in Christianity.

How refreshing to see I write a detailed explanation of how 'moral relativism' is NOT a synonym for 'anarchy', but apparently those words were too big for orthodox1 to comprehend; he instead resorts to his straw-man definition, since without that, he'd have nothing to preach against.

Ortho, broadly speaking, there are TWO elements to consider when creating a legal/moral code:

1) determining if the behavior or action is allowed or prohibited,

2) if prohibited, determining the penalty for violation.

You're assuming that 'moral relativism' says there's no penalties: NOPE. Wrong-o. Your pedophile priests had to learn this the hard way that they are subject to the same legal codes as the lowly-men in the countries where they are convicted, hence serving time in real prisons. Their appeal to God's morality and higher authority offers them no cover from lowly man-made "inferior" laws.

The concept of moral relativism is related to legal relativism, a fact that actions in different Nations differ in both #1 and #2, due to the sovereignty of all Nations. A good example is the penalty delivered to the gunman in Norway who murdered 77 children. Some here objected to the punishment, thinking that it was too light (compared to U.S. justice). There's a living, breathing example of legal/moral relativism.

And unfortunately for your argument, God DOES approve of man administering justice over other men, using their own legal codes. Maybe you're forgetting the significance of Genesis 9:6, where God granted His authority for men to administer justice:

Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

That means men for the first time in history were authorized to use their own legal systems to demand retaliation/retribution for crimes; just as God ordered Adam to exercise dominion over animals, now God was giving man the responsibility to police themselves (and presumably since it was right after the Flood, that may have been the significance of granting such authority to Noah at that point, since it may have been a factor that necessitated the need for Flood: perhaps every human felt entitled to do as they please, without fear of punishment (including Cain who literally got away with murder, centuries before).

Relativism can never bring about peace, only war.

You cannot argue with a straight face that societies DON'T exercise legal (and this moral) relativism, as the laws of each country differ. And unlike your assertion above, it's the FAILURE to respect moral relativism, the sovereignty of Nations to determine their own laws, that often leads to wars, NOT the fact itself.

• scotoma
    scotoma

"Yes, in her was found the blood of prophets and of holy ones and of all those who have been slaughtered on the earth."

Babylon the Great is a political entity. The USA is a better candidate for BTG than any religion.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Uh, the historical "Babylon The Great" was once located in present-day Iraq, but that govt was overthrown by the Persian Empire 2,600 yrs ago (which also no longer exists).

The book you're pulling vague prophecies from (ie figurative BTG) is only one of many such ancient historical texts found, which probably should be of interest to historians, mythologists, and cultural athropologists, but not treated as if it's Gospel or anything....

• scotoma
    scotoma

King Solomon:

Your comment is "only one of many" and therefore "not treated as if it's Gospel or anything..."

What's your point?

• apostatethunder
    apostatethunder

Well said, scotoma.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

King Solomon:

Your comment is "only one of many" and therefore "not treated as if it's Gospel or anything..."

Soooo, if it's all down to "pure opinion", in your book? Methinks you need to brush up on the difference between opinion and facts, unless you're one of those foggy-brained PC types who says, "Everyone's entitled to their own airy-fairy opinions, and even to their own airy-fairy definitions of facts to support those opinions".

What's your point?

My point is you offered TWO questionable conclusions, without even bothering to support them with verifiable proof AKA facts.

You're conflating your conclusions (which I fully understand are based on ancient precedent, but are actually just old opinions) with facts, and I'm challenging you as to WHY they should be accepted without question. Can you rise to that level of debate, or will you just continue to parrot mindless slogans?

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades
    ...the difference between opinion and facts...

just wanted to highlight this. we do live in the REAL world where there are FACTS and REAL events, places, etc in history.

the prophetic visions in the bible are not FACT, they are unfounded opinions and guesses

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit