Do you think our society is on the verge of collapsing?

by jam 61 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dreamgolfer
    dreamgolfer

NOPE, they got the dough $$$$, MULA, cake and whatever else you call it (oh dosh in the UK)

to make it go another 75 years!

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

to make it go another 75 years!

• apostatethunder
    apostatethunder

You can protest as much as you want, if you can not afford the cost of living, you are not free.Economic oppression will lead to all types of oppression.

Expecting to be able to pay your bills and live a decent life after an 8hr shift is not being spoiled, specially when your banker earns 50 times your salary.

I wonder why psychos like Stalin and others like him wanted so much to bring America down. Individual freedom is threatening yes, specially if you are surrounded by nuts.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Stalin and Marx have been dead for 70 yrs, and they're just as dead as King George II. Get over them....

• Razziel
    Razziel

We are simply following the natural progression of Civilization as I've posted time and time again. The US is on the decline, but like as not, we'll hang on for a few more generations as the dominant power before the hourglass flips. 50 years, even 100 years is a short time in history. Republicans aren't completely stupid. Having the strongest military and not being afraid to use it to protect commerce is key to having the strongest economy. In the mean time, the divide between rich and poor will exponentially worsen, and the middle class will continue to shrink over time regardless of if we elect Democrats or Republicans. This is mathematically inevitable because we refuse to recognize the effect of compound interest and tax accordingly.

• steve2
    steve2

Prognoser wrote:

Steve2, longevity may have increased, although I have doubts about that claim, but disease and cancer is on the rise. So, yes, you may live to 80 or 90, but it will accompany more suffering from the proliferation of diseases and cancer.

Prognoser's comments expose an uninformed grasp of cause and effect and the establishment of current health demongraphics.

As the average life expectancy increases, there are increased opportunities for the emergence of diseases of older age, including cancers. Those working in the health industry recognize this very well. The bulk of admissions to hospitals are for chronic illnesses of older adults. Furthermore, as people reduce the most obvious causes of premature death by, for example, giving up smoking, they do live longer and healthier - but as they enter the older age bracket, and do not die as prematurely as they would have done as smokers, they are now statistically likely to face diseases of older age. Absolutely nothing new or portentous about that age-old fact.

Prognoser's statement about "it will accompany more suffering from the proliferation of diseases and cancer" is the very mentality loved by the Watchtower: Sit around moaning about the state of the existing health situation, while others, including health care professionals, actually do something to improve health statistics.

A recent New Zealand epidemiological study ascertained that the incidence of cancers across specified ages had decreased in the last 10 to 15 years.

Prognoser safely writes that "longevity may have increased, although I have doubts about that claim" - a perfect statement by someone trying to have it both ways. Verifying the increased life expectancies in many developed countries is very easy to do: Check the Census records for the relevant countries.

• Razziel
    Razziel

As the average life expectancy increases, there are increased opportunities for the emergence of diseases of older age, including cancers.

It's all about quality of life. We've learned how to extend life, we still aren't especially learned in how to extend quality of life. Longevity on its own is a poor statistic. We are very adept at prolonging life for years using machines and intravenous concoctions. I personally do not look forward to living 10-15 years in a quasi-lucid state in a nursing home or managed care facility as my grandparents did. I hope and believe it's realistic that we will improve the quality of life for our elderly, especially if we get past some of our moral and ethical turpitudes.

There is really no such thing as death with dignity. But I respect those who choose to end their life while they are in full control of their mental faculties rather than live their last years in either perpetual pain, narcotics induced oblivion, or child-like dementia. And whether I'm 75 years old or 200 years old, I personally would never choose such a thing. And when that time comes, I've already made my peace and will do what I feel honorable, longevity statistics be damned.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

In the mean time, the divide between rich and poor will exponentially worsen, and the middle class will continue to shrink over time regardless of if we elect Democrats or Republicans.

I'm afraid this is all too true. The fact that the great middle class choose to vote against their own self-interest is becoming increasingly unimportant as it becomes increasingly inevitable. It is like a bunch of guys going into a bar and ordering drinks - until finally the bartender says, "You guys have a big tab - time to pay up." The guys with money pay up - the guys swept up in the comeraderie of playing with the big boys can't pay their share and their new "friends" are suddenly strangers. Republicans - hah! They have gamed the middle class and the poor into voting for them. Once they're elected - sayonara, suckers!

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Empires have their life cycle, their days of greatness, followed by decline. Modern civilization is no exception. I will throw some writings of Gore Vidal into the mix for consideration.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/101717027/Gore-Vidal-The-Decline-and-Fall-of-the-American-Empire

• Razziel
    Razziel

My point is BOTH parties have played the middle class. They have distractred us with ancillary issues like abortion and gun-control, and divided us into a false dilemma of black-and-white thinking while the few at the top siphon off the top of the economy and steal us blind regardless of which party is in power.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit