Knowing the Real Truth about the "truth" when you're stuck inside...

by OneDayillBeFree 70 Replies latest jw experiences

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Giardano said:

At this point in his life he doesn't need to leave one high control group for another......... the military. A couple of years from now especially with some college the military might be the next logic choice but better yet more education.

How ironic that I actually felt more personal freedom being in the military than as a JW.... At least the military offers rational reasons as to WHY you need to follow orders, when that was sorely lacking in the JWs.

BTW, I went into the military precisely to be able to afford college, not the opposite: I'm sure there must be goods reason to do it in reverse (eg there's a career field in the military you really want to do), but it woulod seem more of the exception, not the rule....

Oh, let's not forget that it's not all about what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country: some actually DO believe in serving as a means to give back to their country (service before self). I know, pretty crazy, huh? That's a foreign thought to most JWs....

• blindnomore
    blindnomore

Ditto to Giordano. Besides, he may not believe in the Military. We should respect others' philosophy.

Befree, I can agree you more with your determation for higer education.

Now that I realize your dad is stepdad to you, hummmmm.............. I hope he has your best interest. My children were raised by step-father. I admit, as much as wonderful step-father, better than real dad in many way, he was to my children, he was less tolerant and more strict with my children than his own. I did not always stood up for my children but gave in to his headship decision.(I feel I was treated as a second citizen then. I was finally respected and appreciated once I put my food down and stood up for myself and my children). I wish I can talk to your mother. Can you talk to your mother about it?

Even though your step-dad is the head of house in Jehovah's Witnesses land, your mother need to understand it is her(unless your step-dad adopted you) that has the last saying on you. When I called the Service Department a few ago on the issue regarding my child, they ignored my husband in the conversation since he was a step-dad. I was told I am responsible for my children not their step-dad. Either way, it doesn't matter what they think, your mother has your best interest than any of them. You need to help her to realize that. Your mother should tell her husband, "it's nice to known your opinion but no thanks. it's my son and this is what I want."

I am glad you feel better. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Edit: As a side note, my eldest is graduating with Master Degree in Psychology at age 22. She is considering joining the Airforce upon her graduation in seeking PHD. Her tuition, housing, salary will be paid by the Militay while taking schooling. Can't beat that)

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Oneday, I know how you feel, I've been there.

Option 1 is the best option, it will allow you time to save.

I don't know how old you are, but I would suggest finishing high school/college, get a job, get your license and save up money.

Make sure you have enough for security deposit and month's rent and some over for bills, plus save up for a car.

It will take a while, but it will be worth it in the long run.

You need to look at what you want as a long term goal and work towards it.

• moshe
    moshe

I have a friend - age 60- who has always had trouble making decisions- when he has lots of choices he waits, and waits- fewer choices now- waits some more and finally he is boxed in with only one direction to go- and he ends up with a bad situation he could have avoided a year ago- with some proactive action-- ughh!! - that is no way to live. Does he listen to Moshe? Never- he knows my advice is spot on (from experinence), but he just can't make the move.

When you are making plans outside the KH for your worldly future, that depends on the goodwill, support and money from your JW parents- that choice is always on weak ground. At anytime your plan could backfire or blowup and you will find yourself sitting at the curb with a cardboard box full of your stuff- what to do NOW? Where to go? Oh, you didn't have what we call in the Army, a fallback position planned out in advance did you? You did not have a squad of pals to rescue you out of the ambush.

We can't wring our hands and lay the blame on the KH for what if I had a different family, it's their fault, I got screwed, etc. You could have been born in India to untouchable caste parents and have a life of cleaning sewers and privies as your only choice. Looking back = accepting defeat from the WT .

The only certain and viable option I see here (lacking worldly relatives who will take you in) is to go into the military- King Solomon is giving good advice-

• moshe
    moshe

I have a distant ancestor- a great grandfather who was born in the early 1800's- he left a hungry and desperate life in Ireland for America- he indentured himself out, saved his money, even went to the California Gold Rush- he had a large family of over 8 children and a very large farm in illinois- he lived to be 103 years old- and he never returned to Ireland, saw or spoke to his relatives again- We have it so easy today--

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Blindnomore said:

Edit: As a side note, my eldest is graduating with Master Degree in Psychology at age 22. She is considering joining the Airforce upon her graduation in seeking PHD. Her tuition, housing, salary will be paid by the Militay while taking schooling. Can't beat that)

Yeah, that sounds like the program I did (health professions scholarship program), where they paid for everything (full-ride scholarship plus a stipend) in exchange for summer tours (1st is Officer training; others are clinical rotations at air force bases). I got a 4 yr scholarship, in exchange for serving 4 yrs after graduation as a Captain. I had a competitive advantage getting it, though, as I was prior service enlisted 10 yrs before (point being, it's about building on prior efforts).

Granted, that path is not for everyone, but it DOES exist....

• Giordano
    Giordano

"The only certain and viable option I see here (lacking worldly relatives who will take you in) is to go into the military-"

It's Viable but not certain. http://www.army.mil/article/75726/ MANAGING THE DRAWDOWN

FORT BLISS, Texas (March 14, 2012) -- During the next five years, the Army plans to reduce the active-duty force from 570,000 to 490,000 by taking a look at who should stay and who should go. Soldiers who wish to remain in the Army will need to be committed and flexible. One in 10 Soldiers currently serving will be affected by the drawdown.

Sgt. Maj. of the Army Raymond F. Chandler III said ......."I personally believe that we can manage our drawdown by focusing on those underperforming or poor-performing Soldiers and those Soldiers who show a pattern of misconduct," Chandler said. "If we focus on those folks who do not measure up to who we say we are as an Army, along with normal attrition, we'll be fine as an Army. We don't have to implement any more Draconian measures."

Sounds just like an elder covering Bethel policy. But hey let's encourage a kid who probably never played on school teams, had limited contact with non JW's growing up and who was just looking at suicide, to go from knocking on doors into the new army.

• moshe
    moshe

Yes, the military is going to reduce enlistments- all the more reason to find out now what options are available. The military can't operate, if everyone has made it to an E-5 and up rank, they will always need recruits to replace the screwups who got the boot.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Giordano said:

It's Viable but not certain...

And surely you're not still looking for certainties in life? If there's one lesson to be gleaned from life after falling for JW false promises of guaranteed returns in a New System if you only take certain steps, real life doesn't go like that. There are NO certainties in life, and anyone offering a "guaranteed, sure-fire deal" is likely a scammer.

As Moshe says, there's always adjustments in manpower strengths being made, but they also need to avoid bottlenecks in rank, to avoid becoming "top-heavy" or "top-thin" in the future. Turn-over is expected, and needed.

But really, none of our advice matters: we're all just laying options on the table for others to consider, that's all.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I don't think his dad is a step parent. Anyway, kiddo, you have a lot of options...anything from AmeriCorps to possibly JobCorps to the military, or just toughing it out as a poor college student living with a roommate. I can't wait to hear how things go with the elders!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit