Sept. 15th WT - WT Society Hypocritically Disses " Materialistic " JW's

by flipper 60 Replies latest jw friends

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Who's Materialistic now??

The Watchtower corporation is run by worthless scumbags.

• hoser
    hoser

this caught my attention

this is from paragraph 4:"You may also be anxious about the future and wonder"Will I have enough income after I retire?"

so what exactly are they saying? That they think this system will go on long enough for us to retire???

It seems to me that the Watchtower Society wants its' followers to make poor financial decisions on purpose. One elder told me that I just need

to make enough to pay my bills and a little "extra" to contribute to the organization.

It is a set up for failure. If a person doesn't generate sufficient cash flow it ends up costing you extra in the long run. It is like WT Wizard says. If

you can afford to buy Quality products instead of cheap junk you will be way further ahead in the long run.

It is designed to keep people dependant on each other and the watchtower and longing for the kingdom blessings. If jws were allowed to make

responsible fiscal decisions(college, overtime, buying a house etc) the wt would lose a lot of the control over the sheeples.

hoser

• hoser
    hoser

This picture is from the same watchtower article. I don't know what to make of it though.

it is obvious that they have overspent on their credit cards. But on what? The WT leaves it up to our imagination. Mine tells me that this medically

uninsured window washer elder has just had a hernia operation a month ago, hasn't been able to work since and his regular pioneer unemployed

wife has been helping rack up the credit card bills filling up the minivan with gas out in service. And they didn't have an emergency fund because

one of the elders counseled them on being too materialistic!

hoser

• hoser
    hoser

from wikipedia

Materialism (adj. materialistic) is the excessive desire to acquire and consume material goods. It is often bound up with a value system which regards social status as being determined by affluence (see conspicuous consumption) as well as the perception that happiness can be increased through buying, spending and accumulating material wealth. Positively, materialism might be considered a pragmatic form of enlightened self-interest based on a prudent understanding of the character of capitalist society. Negatively, it is considered a crass, if not false, value system induced by the spell of commodity fetishism and void of more noble and worthy values.

one other issue I have had with "Materialism" is definition. The watchtower has never defined the meaning of the word as far as I know.

If a person used the above definition of the word most hard working folks are not being materialistic by preparing for their financial future.

They have no desire to live like a king. They live a frugal lifestyle with the realization that someday their body will be too old and tired to work like

a 20 year old.

hoser

• flipper
    flipper

KURT BETHEL- Thanks a bunch for printing the yearly money grabbing efforts on the part of the WT society in how they are constantly trying to weasel into JW's pocketbooks for donations and steal their inheritances ! Very well printed from the WT articles , thanks for doing that.

HOSER- Exactly. The WT society DOES want JW's to make poor financial decisions on purpose. If they can deflate the economic state of individual Witnesses then the WT society can dominate and keep each Witness under control even more so. If they keep them uneducated by putting down college, lacking money by putting down earning a living - the only thing thats left ( in a JW's mind controlled thinking ) is to turn to the WT society's false promises for hope as many JW's have no other alternative than to leave the cult ! Then you lose your support system , family, former friends, etc. It's an incredibly vicious cycle that is rally criminal on the WT society's part.

You are probably right- the couple in the picture is in debt big time. I lived that picture. When I divorced my JW wife in 1998 she had run up $20,000 on the credit cards and I had to file a form of bankruptcy. I've recovered , but the typical JW view of finances is " oh well, the New system will be here soon, we won't have to pay anything off ! " I swear I've heard JWs say that very thing, including my JW ex-wife ! Really crazy

• hoser
    hoser

We are currently on the receiving end of unofficial shunning by the congregation because we work and invest.

hoser

• flipper
    flipper

HOSER- Yeah, isn't it interesting that the WT society has free reign to save and invest all they want on behalf of their corporations - yet you and your wife are shunned because you want to better your financial state ? WT society leaders are the epitome of hypocrotes. Hang in there buddy

• hoser
    hoser

"You are probably right- the couple in the picture is in debt big time. I lived that picture. When I divorced my JW wife in 1998 she had run up $20,000 on the credit cards and I had to file a form of bankruptcy. I've recovered , but the typical JW view of finances is " oh well, the New system will be here soon, we won't have to pay anything off ! " I swear I've heard JWs say that very thing, including my JW ex-wife ! Really crazy. Peace out, Mr. Flipper"

But at the wt study the comments will be made that they wanted to live beyond their means and that they desired to be rich, that is why they are in such trouble.

financial problems are usually not very complex. Either you are not earning enough or you are spending too much or a combination of both.

hoser

• flipper
    flipper

HOSER- Good points you make. The WT society will try to spin it their way

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

hoser:

I agree with you. It does seem like the religion doesn't care if their followers make bad financial decisions. Do you think they are concerned that responsible working people in the congregation have to run from these people who made poor choices???

And that elder who gave you that advice, I wonder how HE lives? Probably makes a decent living, has a nice house, decent car, nice clothes, goes on vacations. But, he's pushing poverty for YOU. This is what I observed: the poverty being pushed was not for THEM - just somebody else. They wanted some poor sap in the congregation to do the experiment of living on the edge and buying clothing in thrift shops, scraping to make ends meet. All this just so that the "comfortable" group in the hall can go "ahhh, look how spiritual he is.....you can really see how he puts Jehovah first.....". Meanwhile, these people would never be caught dead doing any of these things.

I could not stand the hypocrisy about this issue and this figured in my decision to leave.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit