Scientific Careers and Race

by Quendi 85 Replies latest social current

• wasblind
    wasblind

Billy

• snowbird
    snowbird

Education definitely begins at home.

A child's curiosity is a wonder to behold.

I just wish ALL parents would take the time to nurture and encourage their children.

It doesn't take much effort to do that, and in the long run, it really pays huge dividends.

My granddaughter recently graduated from middle school.

I attended the ceremony and was heartened to see so many young men take top honors in math and science.

My only hope is that the challenges they face in high school will not rob them of their potential.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Syl, I suspect that the success of your family is testimony to your love and motivation. Exactly what more kids need, regardless of the color of their skin.

I attended the ceremony and was heartened to see so many young men take top honors in math and science.

My only hope is that the challenges they face in high school will not rob them of their potential.

Whenever you get the chance, go up and tell these kids how happy you are for them and wish them the greatest success. Too often these kids get pushed aside by the attention that is lavished on athletes after every game.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Two for what Billy said.

Black kids - males, especially - are soooo adept at putting each other down.

My g'daughter is well ahead of the curve, academically speaking, but I have to stay on her rear end.

Even now, I can see her backsliding, and I shudder to think of high school.

• poppers
    poppers

One of my favorite people ever: Neil deGrasse Tyson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTTWSE4Qhx0

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

It is so heartbreaking, but what can a grandmother do?

Love him unconditionally. Check into some of the many resources that can help kids excel. If he's online, www.khanacademy.org has helped lots of kids.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Mine too Poppers.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Another for Billy.

Man, you are on fire today!

I gave all of them hugs and "the talk" afterwards.

They will be attending high school quite a piece from where I live; hopefully, they will remember.

• dgp
    dgp

I suppose this question has to do with why "people of color" (and this means "non-whites") are underrepresented in science jobs in the United States. It's a question that is particularly American. It wouldn't make sense in India, for example. There it would be a matter of "poor" versus "rich".

I do not live in the United States and then I cannot offer more than mere speculation. But I think I can tell you why some of my people, the Latino, do not make it to the top.

First, I will limit this comment to second generation Latino, not those who came from abroad, because it is necessary to compare what can be compared. You need to measure the opportunities open to all, regardless of race, since birth and on. A recent immigrant in his early 30's does not fall into this category; much of his fate is already defined.

I think many Latino families do not have a scientific background simply because they didn't have it at home. To our regret, science is not appealing to most of us. We can compose wonderful music and play soccer beautifully and cook a lot better than many, but we're not fond of logic, the scientific method or the like. And the small, poor peasant who crossed the border to work is not the most literate or scientific minded of us.

I think you tend to inherit values and a vision of life. If your parents do not think science is important, then they won't encourage you much in that sense. In this regard, I can but remember the comment that an American man made to me about how Central Americans of all countries tend to buy Toyotas when they move to the United States. Well, that's what they learned to buy at home.

A parent who does not understand much English is sometimes incapable of finding a way to educate a child and take advantage of the options offered by the education system. I know this for a fact. I happen to have met a lady who can't manage to get a simple paper issued on her favor, while the second generation is perfectly capable of understanding the system and using it to their advantage. But, the second generation also comes from a poorer-than-average background, so the results are, generally, not that good.

Asians work very hard, and that goes with them anywhere they go. I know for a fact that this results in better students than a couple of fiesta loving people. I don't want to dismiss every fellow Latin American as "fiesta loving", but at least some of us certainly do love fiestas and siestas. And our children learn that.

That said, many Latin Americans do achieve quite a lot compared to what they had at home. It may not be much compared to what the average white American would achieve, however.

If you are of Latin American descent and want to study an university career, you're better off if you go back home. College is cheaper there and education may be good enough. I think the cost of education is part of the explanation why Latin Americans fall behind.

I think we could also turn the question upside down and wonder why it is that so many Jews excel at apparently everything, and then everywhere. I think it has to do with their mindset. I am not sure Jews had it easier than anyone. And, even among them, the Ashkenazi tend to do a lot better than the Sephardic.

I think I should stress that I don't think there is anything genetically wrong with us. And yes, the people of color have had it more difficult than others, but that does not explain everything.

• moshe
    moshe

You won't make it unless you study- there are more fun things to do now than study. When I tell my daughter who is going into the 8th grade how I stayed up until 10pm studying for 4 hours after supper for a test she doesn't get it. I wanted an A, even an A+ on all my classes- she is satisfied with a C+ and could care less about giving it any extra effort. I think Facebook is one of the biggest grade killers around for teenagers.

Perhaps the biggest obstacle for kids of all races is the decline in traditional families and having parents as role models for these jobs in scientific fields.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit