Let's talk about the worst articles from the WT for young people (YPA articles and others).

by Chemical Emotions 64 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

At the moment I don't have the WT CD program up, but when I can bring it up, I'll post some.

Also, articles which include a paragraph here or there that are directed towards children or teens count as well.

Articles that come to mind for me first are ALL the articles dealing with (gasp) masturbation. And one poster here recently posted some parts from a Young People Ask article about dating, which was very funny. Ones about education too.

I hope this topic hasn't been "done" yet.

This is important for me because I've always had those articles and the YPA books shoved in my face. "Read this. Jehovah knows what's best for you". "See, these girls are just like you. They're your peers. And they're completely normal." "Always read these, that's what they're for." "They're help you to deal with life".

Yeah...no.

The articles about cutting never helped. They gave no real comfort or any good info. I felt patronized. The masturbation/sex ones made me feel guilty.

And let me say, My Book of Bible Stories scared me a lot. I asked my JW parent why the little baby was being killed in the flood when i was little twice. She couldn't give an answer other than, essentially "His mommy didn't listen to Jehovah". Listening to the Great Teacher (yes, I had the old version, the less disturbing one) was annoying. I HATED it. I thought the writing AND the reading (when i listened to it on cassette) was SO CONDESCENDING! Ugh.

Yeah, I've whined about this all before. A lot of us have. But I'd love to have a nice long thread specifically for it. :) It might be interesting.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

"The masturbation/sex ones made me feel guilty."

sounds like someone is telling on themself. hairy palms? ;)

i have to second all of those articles. how's about a funny story?

one night i had just finished ummmm handling myself and was looking for something to wipe down with. listen, don't judge me. teenage boys don't always think before they act.

anyway, i was searching for something to wipe down with, when all of a sdden my mom tried to barge in the door. i was in a panic and just so happened to be naked so i flung myself against the door and she demanded to come in. oh god. that was horrible. i refused and finally said i had a "wet dream". at least i could say it through the door but still. no son ever wants to say that to his mother. i was horrified when she said:

"you weren't masturbating right? cuz you know that's a sin!" of course i was but i wasn't gonna say that. so of course i lied (another sin) and was humiliated (penance).

fucking young people ask. it shouldn't count if we're in the new millenium and the young people were young back in 1928

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

*Lols slightly* Your story is both funny and sad, but it's a good example of how the WTS screws kids' minds up.

I mean, that subject shouldn't be that big of a deal unless it truly becomes an addiction for someone. Otherwise, leave it alone.

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

"you weren't masturbating right? cuz you know that's a sin!"

Did you know that ceiling cat was watching you?

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

it wasn't an addiction, but i can't just leave it alone

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

I mean unless a person is addicted, EVERYONE ELSE (including WTS) should leave the subject alone and let people do what they want in that area. It isn't harmful if it's not an addiction.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Hands down---er off---er somewhere else, the article on masturbation. I wouldn't even read this one with my daughter and did what every parent should do---stayed neutral and buried my head in the sand! sheesh.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

lol i was joking ;)

i have a very healthy schedule.

hahahaha thank you newchapter. i had a feeling all parents knew. i mean how can you not???for fuckssake. literally. pipes might burst. there's a lot of plumbing and pressure down there. better to have regular scheduled maintenance than to have leakage in an inopportune moment

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

Lol@ NC!

I'm glad you weren't like my JW parent. I've been accused of it just for having my hands under my blankets.

I just love one example in an article of a young guy who talked with his father about it and his father actually CRIED and confessed that he had the same problem as a kid. WTF?

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

@RBBIH: Oh, ok! Got it. I'm so slow sometimes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit