Surprise Elder's Visit-FAIL

by iclone 59 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

I am not an apologist, but does not 3:10 refute the claim? They had "turned back from their way" At least thats what I read. Thoughts?

• startingover
    startingover

Gotta bookmark this one

• PaintedToeNail
  • Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

(bump) I like the line of reasoning but I still can't get past Jonah 3:10...looking for someone to hopefully set me straight. Mr Flipper, Blondie, your thoughts? I have even looked at other translations...still the same.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Simon, I addressed that on pg 2, quoting from 3:11.

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

KS: So what does "turning away" imply? repentence on the part of the Ninevites? - your thoughts?

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

That's a fantastic line of reasoning.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

KS: So what does "turning away" imply? repentence on the part of the Ninevites? - your thoughts?

That's exactly what they did: they showed signs of remorse, with even the King of Ninevah stepping down from his throne and sitting in ashes, wearing sack-cloths, etc, signs of grief. Heck, they even dressed up their animals to wear clothing of shame (and what sin exactly did THEY do, to need to feel remorse)!

That made God "Happy", not "Sad", and hence He didn't do what was threatened.

The moral of the story seems remarkably similar to Job: I'm God, and I get to do what I want!! You don't like it, then YOU go find another Universe and become it's God... (Although God didn't get all bossy with Jonah, like he did with Job, starting in with the verbal strip-down, "Where we YOU when I did so-and-so?")

• etna
    etna

Iclone, brilliant, I would like to use that too.

Etna

• Diest
    Diest

Marked

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit