I watched "Game Change" I`m curious about americans take on this movie,and their attitude to Sarah Palin

by smiddy 47 Replies latest social entertainment

• Sulla
    Sulla

I think Palin was about as well prepared to sit in the big chair as was the fellow who won the election, if we are looking at experience. Temperment? Well, probably quite a bit more so if I'm being honest.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Sarah Palin's 15 minutes of fame have long been over. She is just unimpressive in her intelligence, or lack thereof, her grasp of international affairs is dismal, she didn't even finish her first term as governor of Alaska.

Although not that it matters, no matter who sits in the Presidents post, it's just a puppet position.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    Palin provided the impetus for many Americans to become actively involved in the OBama campaign. She was the best "get out the vote" strategy that the Dems had.

The day after Palin was announced as VP pick, I sent in my very first campaign donation - to Obama/Biden. I also ordered a banner for my balcony.

• I Want to Believe
    I Want to Believe

Before her VP nomination, Palin was well respected by both parties here in Alaska and never -- repeat, NEVER -- tried to inject her personal beliefs into her politics. She changed completely after gaining the national spotlight, but before that she was an effective governor. After that she was a punching bag and really had no choice except to resign. I'd never vote for her, but at least I have some perspective; all of the "She's the personification of the Devil" people are the reason political discourse in this country is so lousy.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Saw the movie and wasn't surprised. Another gun toting Jesus lovin simpleton, slinging slogans and raking in the cash.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

It is interesting how different people view certain matters. I am extremely involved in politics. Indeed, I worked for the United States Senate. B/c of my interest, I read vocariously. Newspapers and web sites, such as Politico. My strategy is to stay away from all progressive sites b/c I learn nothing new. I never heard any positive comments about Palin pre-campaign cycle. She was a lightweight. Governors of insignificant states are not noticed much outside of their borders.

As soon as McCain announced her selection, reporters found problems relating to her candidate immediately. Within Alaska, she was notorious for Trooper Gate. Her brother in law was a state trooper. When his relationship with her sister soured, Palin ordered that he be demoted. There was no reason for the demotion, save his personal problems with her sister. The Alaska legislature investigated the incident. Her brother in law sued her. She was not able to convince anyone that there was more than personal animus present.

I don't agree with many conservatives but I respect them, nevertheless. There were so many awesome politicians from whom McCain could choose. She actually wrote notes on her hand to do interviews. Ignorant people on the right loved her. Most GOP professionals, esp. McCain, were horrified.

I could list many Republican governors who received good reviews or who started innovative programs. She would not make any such list. Palin fired up a base that was base. Contrary to public opinion, the GOP has many intellectuals experienced in foreign policy and the military. Politicans able to do a fluff piece with Katie Couric. How hard could a Katie Couric interview be?

What was good was that the entire nation had much fun making fun of her. More than polarizing the GOP base, she energized the Democratic base. There is no denying that she was attractive (no more) and could deliver a speech with gusto. Notice she is not running for anything now. To do so would be too much work, just as being governor was too much work. She can suck in the money on the lecture circuit and starring in a realtiy show.

• I Want to Believe
    I Want to Believe

Band on the Run said: "Within Alaska, she was notorious for Trooper Gate."

No, she wasn't. I worked at the Anchorage Daily News at the time as a copy editor, and "Troopergate" was just a blip before the VP nomination. Everything else you said though is pretty much true. She had no business being nominated; it cost us a decent governor.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

i personally was appalled had how they went after her family.

locally here, they were jeering her child (not bristol) and she has to leave a baseball game.

if i were in her shoes, i would spit fire (just like i've done with elders)

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Alaska can have her! Those of us who live in real states, esp. someone fortunate like me to live in an original 13 colony, don't want her. The few rabid GOP she attracts in other states are more than welcome to emigrant to Alaska. She presented the idea of Alaska as a state that should not have been admitted to the union.

No, I do not like her politics. Also, I trust the NYT, WSJ and WP, before I trust someone on the Internet. She crossed boundary lines in what is acceptable public discourse. The citizens of Alaska should have sued her for slander. She is so polarizing. I can't figure out she ever graduated from high school, let alone college. I believe if McCain were elected, there would have been efforts by more moderate GOP figures to get rid of her. If you notice my posts, I respect many people with whom I disagree. Justice Scalia is one. Altho I have little respect for Clarence Thomas (as does most of the bar), he does not push my buttons.

She never would graduate from my high school. McCain was one of her biggest detractors. How could anyone possibly argue that he had good judgment when he selected her. Her ignorance and attitude made so many people open their pocketbooks and volunteer for Obama. The election was a landslide. If she had not been on the ticket, McCain would have fared better. He sacrificed the independent vote to bolster his base, who would have voted for him anyway.

Joe Biden is no treat, either. He is well-regarded for his foreign policy expertise. The book reported that while has campaigning for Obama, he was holding forth on the plane, telling them why he was so much better than Obama. Biden's brain might make good foreign policy but his mouth could start a war.

I'm wondering if we are crossing Simon's boundaries. Time will tell.

• I Want to Believe
    I Want to Believe

@Band on the Run: You're not getting it. She wasn't polarizing before she was nominated, she didn't play hard partisan politics until after she was selected. If McCain never picked her she would've gone done in history as a capable non-threatening governor that most people liked and a few didn't, with no strong feelings either way. AFTER the nomination, not only did SHE turn hard right, but suddenly all these people appeared who just HATED her in Alaska, people who never spoke up until after Palin was in the spotlight. The NYT and WSJ can report on people's feelings after the fact but if they were talking to people before hand they would've gotten a different perspective.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit