Why are religious people scared of atheists?

by jamesmahon 69 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Messerschmitt
    Messerschmitt

I was amazed that this whole ex-JW forum was infested with Atheists!

I am not scared of atheists! Athesists are just as ignorant and arrogant as the JWs.

I pray that one day you may find hope in God.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Infested? You make it sound like a rodent problem. Infested indeed.

• Messerschmitt
    Messerschmitt

Poor choice of words, my apoligies. Many Atheists?

• talesin
    talesin

disagree that your rank and file member is scared of apostates for the same reason

I can only speak to my personal experience. The rage engendered when I brought up the UN Scandal to my relative is indicative of fear - fear that her whole life had been wasted in a lie - the cult personality immediately took over, and she started screaming at me. I accept your different opinion, and am just offering the reasoning behind mine.

Oh, and I detest that dehumanizing expression 'rank and file'. It's bad enough that the society uses it.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

There are many people here. Yes.

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

Really cofty - I'm in Coldingham. Vomiting bug is going around here as well. I have probably bumped into you in Morrisons and never realised it. Small world. We should meet up and have an awkward conversation. Preferably after you have stopped being sick.

Lozhasleft

I think you have put well where the problem is as has been suggested by other posters. It comes down to this faith thing. You see, I don't think non-believers have 'faith' in science and we find it annoying that a rational thought process that holds no idea as sacrid and can be debunked with evidence is seen as the same as 'faith' that can never be proven wrong in the mind of the believer. I have faith in nothing becuase it is a word that just means nothing to me. I look at evidence. From that I reach a conclusion with an implicit probabilty.

The moon is round and is not made of cheese. I have never been but I can see it as a circle in the sky. Is it a rock? Well, there is evidence I can see and touch but until I go there myself I would never be sure. But with the available evidence I conclude that it is most likely round and a rock. I don't have faith this is the case. If someone fired a rocket into it and it exploded showering the earth with cheese I will change my conclusion. I guess I just don't get faith that says no matter the evidence brought I will continue to believe what I do. That just seems irrational.

Most non-believers like to continually question things which is why they end up as non-believers I suspect. Believers perhaps misinterpret this constant questioning as a challenge as they are happy with the world view their faith is built on. We get cross because we think that people with a religious faith are no longer searching for answers perhaps and also trying to give the answers to other people and stop them thinking for themselves. The irony of course is that this is exactly what religious people think atheists are doing.

Anyway, don't want to turn this into a bashing thread one way or the other. Just really interested in where the anger and fear (if there is fear) comes from so thanks for your contribution.

• talesin
    talesin

Dark Knight

Hang on -- if we are talking of fear --- then it MUST be emotional. Fear is an emotion - feeling threatened is an emotional response.

Loz - I have Christian friends - they are not scared of me. It's only 'some' religious people that are scared of their faith being tested, imho.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    What is with the 'aye' btw? Where in UK you from?

I am an American who likes the term.

-Sab

• OldGenerationDude
    OldGenerationDude

Not everyone who is religious is scared of or hates atheists. I am religious, and it's very clear to my friends that I am, the majority of whom are atheists. Do we talk about religion or atheism like we do here? No. Do they get mad if I don't invite them to one of my dinners like Seder or invite them over for Chanukah? You bet! Why? Because we're friends--more than that, we're family. It's about being open enough to share each others' customs and to grow in this sharing. I'll go if one of my "family" is having their child baptized or if they are taking part in Native American coming-of-age ritual or to our annual "Festivus" in honor of the FSM (which is fun because we make up new "time-honored-traditions" each year).

But if we were brought up as JWs, we might still have that "only one way" can be right attitude that we let slip by. So when we talk religion on here some of us might still be arguing or view things that way.

Having been out of the Watchtower for just about 20 years now, I can honestly say that life among people of various faiths and creeds is nothing like it was portrayed by the Governing Body or even as you see things happening here. People are generally very cool about everything (at least my friends are) and are really open about getting into the "ritual" of it all at gatherings like I mentioned above--even if they don't believe in a deity or spirituality.

We did talk about the difference between "tolerance" and "acceptance." We agree that we don't tolerate one another and the beliefs of each other. Instead we accept one another. And that means we accept a person and their beliefs regardless--because if you love a person, that person is the result of a myriad of things, including their convictions. Pull one string out and the whole tapestry changes or even falls apart.

I know that doesn't exist for some people. I didn't think something like that was ever possible as a JW. But it's out there. Maybe it's what they call being a liberal--I've just thought about that (I don't consider myself a liberal, moderate, conservative--whatever, but I'm sure a conservative reading this would say "impossible" or "blasphemous" or "unnatural").

A lot of atheists are cool with other folks and their beliefs and a lot of religious people are too. And a lot from both groups are just wanting to debate with those of the other side. Waste of time for me outside of this group here--

Not all religious people are the same (and not all atheists are good examples either). People will screw up any ideology, philosophy, religion, or group—an ass is an ass, regardless of the group the animal might make claim to. Maybe that's why I may not have a lot of religious friends. I don’t accept anyone on their claim to any creed alone, and I’ve yet to see an atheist not want to be friends with me (or reject an invitation to brisket dinner for Chanukah).

But come to think of it, if an atheist can't tolerate you then your religion is useless. It's like a quote I once read: "Going to church doesn't make one a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car."

• talesin
    talesin

OGD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit