Why are religious people scared of atheists?

by jamesmahon 69 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sizemik
    sizemik
    Poor choice of words, my apoligies. Many Atheists?

Too late . . . your confirmation bias has escaped, and is running around for all to see.

It's only 'some' religious people that are scared of their faith being tested, imho.

Agreed . . . fear brings on the "flight or fight" response in some form.

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

Talesin

I do agree that there are certainly many JW members (I will not use rank and file in the future if I remember) that don't want to open the box of their own disbelief and so steer away from apostates. I have two brothers who are in and one certainly falls into that camp. But the other has told me that he is a JW to the very soul of his being (which is interesting because they don't believe in a soul but still) and nothing could ever sway him from his faith.

It is interesting that on this board certainly most of those (or certainly the vocal majority) that leave the witnesses seem to lose their belief in god if not instantly than over time. I know I went through the phases of "they have it more right than other religions" to "it is just as much rubbish as other religions. Still believe in god though" to finally "nope, no god actually".

• cofty
    cofty

Athesists are just as ignorant and arrogant as the JWs.

Oh the irony.

James will send you a PM

• Messerschmitt
    Messerschmitt

It's only 'some' religious people that are scared of their faith being tested

I agree.

Cofty what are you calling me arrogant and ignorant

• sizemik
    sizemik

Not all religious people are the same (and not all atheists are good examples either). People will screw up any ideology, philosophy, religion, or group—an ass is an ass, regardless of the group the animal might make claim to. Maybe that's why I may not have a lot of religious friends. I don’t accept anyone on their claim to any creed alone, and I’ve yet to see an atheist not want to be friends with me. . . . OldGDude

Well said . . . Discussion and debate would not be threatening without a pre-existing fear.

• talesin
    talesin

jamesmahon - so it would appear one brother is 'afraid' to have his faith tested, and the other is not.

tal

• cofty
    cofty
    Cofty what are you calling me arrogant and ignorant - Messerschmitt

If you really believe that people who are not convinced by stories of supernatural are arrogant and ignorant then you can't fail to see the irony

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

Sab

On one of your other posts you said 'flipping' as well as in 'flipping heck' so just assumed you were a Brit. My apologies (although they may not be needed )

OGD. Very good post. I 'celebrate' christmas but enjoy all the various cultural influences going back thousands of years that links you to the past.

I would be surprised if you would find any sane non-believer that wanted to change a believer unless they thought that belief was causing genuine harm or the believer was trying to force their views onto them. I think on a personal level most believers and non-believers get on great. The problems arise when society has to make decisions on how to function. How do we educate our children? Gay marriage? Abortion? Euthanasia? I think most non-believers are socially liberal even if they are economically conservative and if we feel an individuals' right to do as they please is threatened by people saying that god wants the world to be a certain way it just gets on our goat. Most of the time we all get on just fine really and are accepting. Accepting someone's belief is the easy part. Letting them decide how you or anyone else is allowed to live their life is the difficult bit. In this regard I don't think that non-believers through or because of their non-belief try to tell other people how to live their lives. Or force it into law.

• tec
    tec

If some have doubts then they might be afraid to have their faith questioned... and that can come out as anger.

Same with some atheists, I expect.

No one who is afraid of atheists would be on this forum, lol... certainly not outspoken on this forum.

Peace,

tammy

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

Talesin

Exactly. I suspect you might be right that when I think of the JWs I know that more fall into the camp of being scared to test their faith than not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit