Why are religious people scared of atheists?

by jamesmahon 69 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• talesin
    talesin

Why are Jehovah's Witnesses TM scared of apostates? Because we can prove their faith is based on false premise(s), leaving them with nothing but blind faith.

Same thing.

tal

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

cantleave

Faith is the thing I think that gets non-believers most fed up with believers and why we end up getting angry. Non-believers are happy to say "I don't have all the answers, might never have anything close to all the answers, but am happy with that and it is good fun looking for the answers". A believer says "I don't know the answer. So i have faith that god is the answer. End of."

cofty

Where are you? And what are you doing up at this time?

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

Talesin

Think the organisation is scared of apostates for that reason, but disagree that your rank and file member is scared of apostates for the same reason. In any case I think most religious people live on faith anyway and are quite happy doing so. Indeed it is the lack of faith that non-believers have that probably annoys believers so much. And faith being what it is the more it is challenged I suspect the stronger it gets (for some people anyways)

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I'm not scared of atheists...nor am I scared per se. The man I love most in the whole world, Mr Lozhasleft is an absolutely confirmed atheist....he calls me a God bothering bible basher lol. What I do feel, especially on here, is a frustration and an intolerance with atheists. They have this arrogance that they 'know' they're right, when, in actuality, it's simply an alternative faith, a faith in science. They refuse to believe the grounds us believers have for our faith but, our grounds are just as valid, often varied but valid nonetheless. Their lack of spiritual evidence isn't ours, it's theirs. Why cant they live and let live? We don't ridicule their faith. I wish they'd get over themselves. That's,, all.

KLoz x

• sabastious
    sabastious
    And this in a way is the paradox. I want him to grow up to have the freedom to make his own decision on god. However, if he chooses to believe in god I will feel I will have failed because I feel you can only reach that conclusion by putting aside the questioning mind I am trying to help him develop. Joys of parenthood. I did once say I could convince him god existed and went into a JW routine about design and complexity etc. He didn't buy it. Just looked at me like when I try to tell him an orange gets its skin from an animal in Africa called the borange.

Aye, it's a tough spot to be in. I'd say that your goal for him should be freedom of mind and if he denies that then you will have failed and he'll be scooped up by a mind control artist as is so common. I think it's a lot to put on your shoulders if the goal is non belief. Freedom is the first step, then comes choice, imo.

-Sab

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

Sab

Aye, tough indeed. Just read one of your threads from a couple of years back and sounds like you had similar (abeit worse) problems.

What is with the 'aye' btw? Where in UK you from?

• cofty
    cofty

Where are you? And what are you doing up at this time?

Berwick-on-Tweed

Throwing up :(

• Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Because when people create a strong association between their religious beliefs and their own identity, atheism invalidates who they are.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

So it's an emotional thing? *i know it is I'm jst putting that out there*

• Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

I wouldn't say emotional. It's more about people's sense of self-worth and identity. When an idea comes along that challenges you as you percieve yourself some will react in hostile way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit