Do you try to "shape up" for Summer?

by Open mind 60 Replies latest social physical

• talesin
    talesin

Okay, GI denotes Glycemic Index ... I am not well-versed in this, so cannot explain it though I live by it. Once again I call on Cofty to give a better explanation.

t

• cofty
    cofty

please explain what you mean by GI foods .. I get it. but many would have no clue ... BEANS!

GI stands for Glycemic Index. In simple terms its a measure of the ability of a food to raise blood-glucose levels. Sometimes its defined the rate of rise buts that not strictly accurate.

Low GI foods release glucose into the blood gradually without causing a spike and avoids the rush of insulin. Often the details of which foods are low GI are counter-intuitive and frequently depend on combinations of food.

Low GI foods will also tend to help avoid hunger pangs for longer. There are a number of good websites that list low and hi GI foods which can only really be worked out in the lab.

ETA - As a general rule complex carbs are low GI

• talesin
    talesin

As a 'type 2' diabetic, I appreciate the info... I walk 1-2 hours a day, and eat healthy.. no meds required. It's funny,,, I had one person say "you have the healthiest fridge I've ever seen".

Eat healthy! I enjoy using "REAL" mayonnaise on my food, and butter, but I also use Olive oil (the good kind) for most of my cooking. and canola when I need high heat (zero cholestorel). ...

but, also eat spinach salad every day (yes, I do,, sometimes adding shredded chicken instead of egg), and lots of raw veg and garlic.

We are what we eat, peeps!

Don't let illness make you eat healthy --- start now .. it's really tasty, and you would be surprised at what you would enjoy!

xo

tal

• cofty
    cofty

Good advice talesin

• talesin
    talesin

cofty, ,, I only hope you are as well as you can be, and hell, man, think of you every day.. my friend is fighting this horrible dis-ease, and all I can say is ... I am with you, through every moment,,,

xo

tal

• cofty
  • Open mind
    Open mind

cofty: "World Champions? Isn't the USA the only place that weird game is played?"

"(Cofty puts on body armour)"

No need, my point exactly.

If aliens were to visit planet Earth they would find 150 nations playing a game called "football" and using a round ball and one nation playing "football" using an oblong ball and using totally different rules. And the team from the nation with "odd" ball calls itself "World Champions".

Can somebody find me an inter-galactic face palm?

om

• Kudra
    Kudra

I try not to eat any food with sugar added and I have totally cut down on any grains or dairy. This seems to be a pretty good diet. tough to stick to but very nutritious and great for athletes. I get a lot of good protein, tons of veggies and fruit, nuts n berries etc. If I have to use dairy (like in a morning smoothie) I use goat kefir or goat cheese. I use a lot of almond flour and mesquite flour to cook with. I don't eat a ton of meat but I try to buy any meat I do eat at the local farmers market where I actually am talking with the folks that have butchered the beef, raise the chickens etc. If I don't make it to the farmer's market that weekend, I just don't eat meat that week. I also use high quality omega-3 oil from anchovies in the morning (it is good stuff and has no fishy taste- I even put it in my smoothies).

For my exercise regime, I have found that I cannot abide going to the gym so I do things that are fun that build muscle -right now I am going to trapeze classes and I'm also starting up with an aerial silks class in a few days. These classes are SO fun and are an amazing workout. The upper body and core strength that you need is amazing. The teahers are phenomenal, and it is a really healthy environment.

For endurance activities and a cardiovascular workout I love trail running. It is so absolutely fun- running trails is like being on a rollercoaster. I do shorter tempo runs and speedwork around my neighborhood and the university but for longer runs, I do them all on trails. It is better for your joints and you avoid the repetitious motions found in poundin' the pavement because on a trail you are landing differently every time you take a step.

Its interesting reading about what different folks here do for exercise.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I'm very slim and (please don't hurt me in a jealous rage) it doesn't seem to matter how much I eat, I just don't seem to gain any weight. My dad was the same way his whole life except he did develop a beer gut.

If you're trying to "shape up" for summer, success will continue to elude you.

Fitness is not a seasonal event; it's a year round lifestyle of proper diet and exercise. Diets don't work in the long run; you will eventually gain back everything you lost.

I've been exercising and eating right since high school, and was always very active before I started a serious exercise routine. I've kept it up for about 3 decades now, and won't stop until it's time for my dirt nap. Here's what I've learned:

1. Exercise: It's not what you do, it's that you do it regularly and consistently for years. It's about lifestyle. Those who go all out in the gym for a few weeks will be gone in a few weeks. You need to exercise, but make sure that you keep it fun and don't overdo it. There's always tomorrow, and you need to look at exercise the same way you look at that shower in the morning. It should simply be a regular part of your routine.

2. Food: Eat like an animal. If it comes in a box or a can, don't eat it. Eat whole foods and grains. Eat lots of raw vegetables. Eat lots of fish and chicken, and an occasional meal of red meat. Stay away from saucy, oily foods.

Best of luck to you!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit