Do you try to "shape up" for Summer?

by Open mind 60 Replies latest social physical

• Open mind
    Open mind

A while ago* I set a goal to lose 10 pounds before summer. Today's the day. I didn't make it.

Where did I go wrong?

* "a while ago" was yesterday

Do you try to get in better shape for the summer?

How has the passing of years affected your efforts/results?

om

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

I started out this January. And I lost about 20lbs, now I want to gain those 20lbs back but with muscle. It's harder either way you go.

When did you start? First thing, is setting reasonable goals. A pound a week is good, two pounds a week is even better but it takes more dedication.

What worked for me was keeping up a food log (fitday.com), and keeping up with your calorie intake. Once you've done it for a few weeks you should know how much you should eat to keep the progress going without using the log.

• Nambo
    Nambo

You didnt try losing weight by eating anything "sugarfree" did you?, its been revealed that not only is the likes of Asparteme a neurotoxin, it also makes you fatter than the original made with sugar.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/jun/11/why-our-food-is-making-us-fat

The above is also an interesting read.

I remember when I was a kid, everything was made with real sugar, we used to eat tons of sweets and cakes, evrything else was laden with fat, yet we were mostly skinny as rakes.

• Open mind
    Open mind

The thought of getting in better shape for summer never even occurred to me personally until I hit my mid-30s. I would notice that the pants were getting a bit tighter and I had probably actually gained 5 pounds (HORRORS!!!) .

So somewhere around the start of May, I'd just make sure I started riding my bike every day (or something similar) and by June I'd be trim and lean.

Now that I'm in my late forties, the over-winter paunch gets bigger each year and doesn't come all the way off anymore.

Time to adopt a new way of looking at this.

om

• cult classic
    cult classic

I don't try to shape up for summer per se. But once our midwest winter is over, I get back into a groove of walking, parks, swimming etc. I automatically feel better and shape up. I always have a summer obsession and perk up fashion wise.

This year it's summer hats and cute swimwear. I think the best thing about summer is being comfortable and uninhibited. Don't try to fit any standard except your own. Summer's way too short.

LOL on getting started a couple of days ago.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Do you try to get in better shape for the summer?

Yep, I try.

How has the passing of years affected your efforts/results?

A little harder to take off weight, partly because I spend more time reading and studying now, a little less active. And I'm a little more sore after exercise. This year I'm trying to shape up my gluteus maximus. So far, I'm just getting a sore butt.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Yeah, I try.

Next summer, I plan on trying harder.

LOL.

• finally awake
    finally awake

I've never worried about shaping up for summer just because it's summer, but I do find it easier to eat fruits and vegetables when they are fresh and tasty. I've managed to lose about 90 pounds, and it's really only in the mid summer that I can drop pounds steadily.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Most years, I start getting outside more and begin a consistent weekly routine when Spring rolls around. Last year was our first year out of the WT and I never got in the zone mentally. Zero motivation. Was a bit depressed about family, drank a coke-n-alky almost every night, didn't care about what I ate or how much. Then mom passed away, more stress from that... later, lots of birthdays and holidays.... it all caught up with me and I morphed into a skinny-fat caricature of myself and couldn't run a quarter mile without gasping for air.

This year, Jan 1, I started using a Couch to 5K app, stuck it out and managed my first ever sub-thirty-minute three-milers after 9 weeks. Not outstanding by any means but I set records for me, so I'll take it. (I've never been a fan of running unless I was chased by bees that were molested. haha *crickets* Kingdom Melody? Anyone?) Unfortunately, I was still wearing my cheeseburger cumberbun from the previous year.

Depression cleared up, I started feeling healthier, and only treated myself to weekend drinks, and neat at that. Gained momentum and started picking my foods more carefully. Added other Crossfit-type exercises and now I'm about where I usually would be in the summer... gauging by performance, pants, etc...

But this is where I usually plateau and eventually quit around September. Then when the fall/winter months come around and those damn pagans start shoveling pecan pie down my open gullet, all progress goes out the window. Just hope I feel motivated to start it all over again early next year, near the bottom rung again.

I want to talk to the fool who manages to stick to it all year 'round.

• laverite
    laverite

SBC - judging from your pics you are never out of shape. You're probably talking about a 3-4 lb gain/loss.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit