Do you try to "shape up" for Summer?

by Open mind 60 Replies latest social physical

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Yes. if you consider round a shape!

• James Brown
    James Brown

I'm always trying to get in shape, stay in shape.

I think I'm in pretty good shape for a 60 year old, But I keep chasing my 30 year old self.

And I'm loosing.

I work out about 5 days a week, count my calories, watch my fat, take vitamins.

I cant get off the 200lb mark.

When I was 30 I was 160. It seems like every 10 years I put on 13 pounds.

Back to the drawing board.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

Yes, I have to lose 10 pounds by Sept. Going to my school reunion. I am giving up wheat which I have read is responsible for a lot of people gaining weight. Also going to try and do some walking.

• Open mind
    Open mind

rvw: Hey, if you feel OK with "round", that's the main thing. If it's causing you physical problems though, that's another.

James Brown: I feel/resemble your pain. I'm currently researching diets like Atkins and Paleo. Atkins looks VERY extreme, to be done under a physician's supervision along with blood work, but it also looks very effective from the data that's out there.

panhandlegirl: Good for you. Anything is better than nothing. Let us know how it goes. (You do know that School Reunions are one of the favorite hangouts for the demons right?)

om

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I do the low carb route a lot. I seem to do better mentally and physically when I cut out sugar, refined flour, and other processed foods. Mostly I follow Atkins. I'm also trying some things from Dukan Diet. One of the things I miss on Atkins is even just a little bread to make a real sandwich. And with all the allowed meat and cheese, fiber is a must. So I got this from Dukan. They cook up kinda like pancakes and make a thin, grainy "bread".

Dukan Oatbran Pancakes

• 9 oz. Oat bran (or partly wheat bran)
    • 6 eggs
    • 6 oz. container Greek low fat Yogurt
    • pinch salt
    • oil for pan

Mix in a bowl. Should be a little thicker than pancake batter. Heat pan and spoon in and smoothe or shake the pan to even out the pancake. Flip when it's firmed up nicely.

This should be enough batter to make 6-9 pancakes. I like to do a batch for a week at a time.

Since oat bran is extremely absorbant, the batter gets thicker and grows as you go. I have two teflon pans going on low heat to get this done quickly. I start the pancake in one small pan then flip it into the larger pan. My first couple I do kinda thick, then start adding a little bit of water or milk as the bran begins absorbing moisture. And partway through the stack, I'll add some herbs or spices for variety. After some practice, I've kinda figured out how to make them thinner without them falling apart.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

I try to keep in shape for LIFE!

• talesin
    talesin

I usually gain a few pounds during the winter sleep, and it drops in the summer, with the low-cost availability of fresh veggies. But I eat healthy all year round. I don't drink pop (soda, for the americans) or eat any processed foods except for condiments like ketchup, mustard, salad dressings... and NEVER diet. Exercise every day by walking 1-2 hours. I weigh just under 10 stone, and am the same size I was at 25 (now 54). It's all about balance, and developing healthy eating habits as a lifestyle.

Chocolate every day - either dark in the bar form, or cocoa. No 'low fat' or 'lite' foods - to me, that spells c-h-e-m-i-c-a-l-s! The body processes natural food naturally -- we don't know what all these chemicals are doing to our bodies. The baby-boomer generation is the first to grow up on chemical and hormone-laden foods, and look at us! Altzheimers, cancer, fibro myalgia, and a host of other dis-eases run rampant -- I'm not saying that processed foods are the cause of this --- I'm saying we don't know.

Also, if you learn to read labels, you will find that corn sugar, under a plethora of names, is in almost every product that is processed! The best advice is to shop the outside aisles of your supermarket (if you can't/won't visit a farmer's market). That is where the fresh foods are found.

tal

• Open mind
    Open mind

Thanks for the recipe BillytheEx!

I did about 1.5 days of impromptu, unresearched, unsupervised Atkins and felt like crap yesterday morning. So I decided to stop for now. Just a plain slice of wheat berry bread tasted like HEAVEN! My wife and I are thinking about trying out Atkins (or something similar) with a bit more planning later this summer so we'll keep your "pancakes" in mind. Between now and then I'm going to taper off my carb and caffeine intake so that it's not quite so much of a shock.

00Dad: Yeah, I'm afraid my days of just catching up right before summer are gone.

talesin:

om

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Oh yeah, I didn't go off coffee during Atkins. I know it says to quit caffeine, but I was afraid I would die without java.

• Joshinaz
    Joshinaz

I pulled my back out last year. It ended up being two herniated disks in my back that laid me out for the entire year. I was trying to save money for a house so I didn't get it treated. I just sat on the couch after work in extreme pain and drank until I past out, hoping that would give me enough sleep to go back to work again.

A couple months ago I got the $3,000 treatment and I'm starting to work off the 30lbs I put on over the year. It was horrible. I couldn't do anything but be in pain. Now I'm feeling much better and starting to be active again. Hoping to be cleared to work out again. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit