Do you try to "shape up" for Summer?

by Open mind 60 Replies latest social physical

• Open mind
    Open mind

Billy: Yeah, I know they say NO caffeine, but I get the feeling it's more of an individual thing. From what I've read they say that for some people the caffeine really cranks up cravings in general. I think I'll play around and see what works.

Joshinaz: Sorry to hear about everything you've gone through. Staying injury-free becomes so much more important the older we get.

om

• Kudra
    Kudra

I just get a new pair of these at the beginning of June every year:

and call it good. slip on the shape-ups, head out to the pool chair with a bag of cheetos and let the shoes do the work!

I'm figuring I'll lose about 5 pounds a week -can't wait!

• Open mind
    Open mind

@ Kudra: Ah, to have the slim genes that you do.

Careful, people on this thread might start throwing stones!

I've always been on the slim side myself, but once the forties hit, the "cheeseburger cummerbund" has been slowly making it's appearance.

Back cummerbund!! Back!!

om

• talesin
    talesin

Anyone trying "Atkins" strictly (and Billy, good to see you are moderating that diet!) should google "ketosis" .... we NEED carbs, peeps! Instead of looking at them as bad,,, research the 'good' ones --- beans, lentils, leafy greens, brown rice, etc. It's the 'white' that is bad for us.

xo

tal

• Open mind
    Open mind

talesin: Atkins and his cheerleaders try to make the case that the medical establishment is set in their ways and won't look at the evidence. (Sounds kinda paranoid & almost cultish to me) The Atkins camp claims that most healthy people can handle 2 weeks of ketosis without serious side effects. I was 36 hours into it when I started reading about how potentially dangerous it could be and grabbed my slice of wheat berry bread. Mmmmmm.

Still researching and on the fence, but thanks sharing your perspective.

om

• Sulla
    Sulla

If you are 40-something, you are really going to have to have a good level of intensity year-round, in my estimation. For one thing, your longer recovery time will prohibit you from training with the intensity level you will need if you want to make rapid changes in body composition. You will wind up hurt and miss lots of workouts.

But, there really isn't a substitute for running yourself into the ground. ~20 miles a week is a decent goal for steady weight loss, plus all the other stuff.

• talesin
    talesin

I agree with your first para, Sulla. Good advice.

As for the second, I don't think running is good for the body (we are designed for short sprints, except for that tribe in CA who runs everywhere,, wassup with that?), but walking sure is!

tal

• Open mind
    Open mind

A curse upon you Sulla! Go take that reality stuff somewhere else!

om

• cofty
    cofty

As a coach I am not going to discourage exercise but remember it takes a depressingly huge amount of activity to burn the same number of calories that you can consume effortlessly.

Careful control of what you eat is by far the more important part of the equation as far as weight loss goes.

The science is very simple - "eat less - move more". Its all about calories in and calories out. Genetic factors account for only a very modest percentage of excess weight.

Exercise is great for reasons of health and fitness but if your only goal is burning fat you can increase your daily calorie burn significantly by simple changes in habits. Stand more and sit less. Take the stairs insted of the lift (elevator) walk as much as possible.

Muscles are fat burning machines, so you can increase your basal metabolic rate by weight training to add muscle bulk but remember it will disappear again much faster than you will put it on if you can't maintain your regime.

Losing a pound a week is a realistic goal. Diets that claim rapid weight loss are a con at best and possibly dangerous. Rapid weight loss is down to dehydration and loss of glycogen which will leave you feeling tired and unable to exercise effectively. It has nothing to do with burning fat.

Eat breakfast but avoid sugary cereals. Hi GI foods cause a spike in blood glucose, your body then releases insulin which drops your blood sugar lower than it was previously - rinse and repeat. Try low GI foods like porridge, and complex carbs. Never fast, it will trigger a drop in metabolic rate as your body prepares for famine. Eat smaller portions often. Don't diet, aim instead for a sustainable change in lifestyle.

Take a pound of butter from the fridge and imagine having that amount removed from your body every week. Not a bad goal is it?

Thus endeth today's sermon ;)

• lovesholiday
    lovesholiday

Put down the knife and pick up the fork

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit