Watchtower sends Cease and Desist order on SPARLOCK items!

by sacolton 61 Replies latest jw friends

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Diest, Good Idea!

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    So the Watchtower OWNS and TRADES with wicked and evil Sparlock?!

This is hardly surprising, and the only strange thing is that it didn't happen sooner. Sparlock (a metafictional toy wizard, and the tamest 'villain' of all time) is no different to any other intellectual property. Protecting the use of such property in no way suggests that the owner 'agrees' with the 'ideals' of the fictional character. Try selling unlicenced toy Daleks, Darth Vaders or Freddy Kreugers, and you could expect much the same result, regardless of whether their makers agree with the 'evils' of the fictional characters.

• heathen
    heathen

Looks like JEHOVAH was a no show once again so they put their faith in satan corrupt legal system.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Well to all the WTdrones ou there doing the bid of their counterfit god. I hope that as u continue to read the truth about the truth on this site, and report back what is still leaking from your many sacred elder bodies, that some of it penetrates the wall and helps u regain your life, and a healthy relationship with God again. if not, well then kiss this: (_!_)

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

So, Caleb is guilted into throwing Sparlock in the trash bin, but the Watchtower Corporation can't follow Caleb's example.

Maybe Caleb should have gotten a good lawyer before ditching Sparlock.

Total hypocrisy.

pseudo

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

Considering it's an artist's rendering of the character, couldn't it be fair use?? A lot of people sell their own renditions of celebrities (ie. Marilyn Monroe, Michael Jackson, etc) without having to go through copyrights because it's THEIR vision of the person and their own artwork. This isn't the ACTUAL clip from the dumbass dub film, it's an artists rendition of the character...

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

Not only that, but as far as I can see they haven't copyrighted the name Sparlock itself. Perhaps because he appears in the video, it falls under the copyright, though... HOWEVER, with a few minor adjustments, we might be able to tweak him enough that he becomes our mascot and no one can take him away... Just a couple of changes would make it so that their copyright isn't "infringed".

Does anyone else feel like this is just the Watchtower telling us apostates "My dick is bigger than your dick"?

• sizemik
    sizemik
    selling products that may infringe the rights of a third party, including, copyrights (e.g.,an image of a television cartoon character), trademarks (e.g., the logo of a company),"

There is already a Company named SPARLOCK . . . www.sparlock.com

They sell a type of building product . . . does WTS have their permission to use the name?

I would think the only thing they could copyright would be the image . . . not the name.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

with everything that's going on in Fremont, I would think this was all a hoax

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Not only that, but as far as I can see they haven't copyrighted the name Sparlock itself.

That's not particularly important, as they didn't make any claim about the particular name, nor has the official spelling ever been provided. Irrespective, the image and likeness of the character, for better or worse, are their intellectual property. People should be concentrating on the available avenues of fair comment (including parody) rather than lamenting the fact that they cannot continue illegitimately making money off it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit