What it takes to become an atheist.

by dontplaceliterature 90 Replies latest jw friends

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

If somebody needs something to be happy then what's wrong with that? And even then, that is a rather broad, generalized statement.

Wouldn't it be better to concentrate on your own happiness than make other people feel lousy for having a belief?

@shamus

I'm not saying I have a problem with believers at all. I'm just trying to understand what holds people back from entertaining the possibility that they are alone. Perhaps the statement is broad, and generalized, but that doesn't make it invalid. It's like saying that all mobsters are ruthless. A generalization? Yes, but it sorta comes with the territory. Not that believers are ruthless!

I'm also not trying to make anyone feel lousy for believing. I just hate people who dance around with vague answers to direct questions because they can't quite explain why they feel the way they do. They'd rather split hairs than commit to a specific reply. I'd rather they not say anything at all because that strategy of dialogue just floods the discussion with distracting information and doesn't accomplish anything.

• ammo
    ammo

Not all people go Gods way for the prizes. I never wanted anything except to feel like he -God was ok with me, I had spent so much of my life wishing I was never born, and never really feeling part of anything or anyone when I did learn in regard to Jehovah his ways I felt so ungrateful not wanting this paradise earth, live forever etc etc, I just felt it was the right thing to do, and I did truly believe it, I was one of thoses glazed over robots that was 100% SURE it was real.

I am really trying to work out what I believe now, the thought of totally not believing makes me feel like I have let go of something indescribably satisfying, maybe it was the peace in the words read and digested, maybe it was feeling like Jah actually got me, and knew me, and still liked me just for me. To me the 'atheist' term always conjured up pity or they were missing something- Poor Dears! but now I guess I am wondering where this new found 'awakening' about it all will lead me, as the gaps are getting harder to fill in.

Tammy I do get what you mean in regard to faith I have had things happen to me -saved from a burning house, saved from a car accident, and also a schizophrenic flatmate, all by the same calm male voice- and no I was not off my face on drugs at any of thoses times.

This is why its so hard for me to completely turn my back on the belief of Jah, because it was not learnt in some book, or brought up with it, it personally happened to me, and even though elders have said to me Jehovah does not speak to people, well that voice saved my ass a few times. I dunno somedays it really does my head in, and yes now I can shoot holes in the JW teachings and would never set foot in a k hall again, I just don't know what to do with these very real personal experiences.

Sorry to ramble, I too have wondered what it would take to become an atheist.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Nice post ammo . . . sounds very familiar.

To me the 'atheist' term always conjured up pity or they were missing something- Poor Dears! but now I guess I am wondering where this new found 'awakening' about it all will lead me, as the gaps are getting harder to fill in.

My road to Atheism was spent largely in a concerted effort to find the true God because I was certain he existed on account of similar experiences. They're not unique to "believers", as you may find, as the gaps get filled through further research.

While I enjoy immense relief from the trap of self-delusion now . . . the road was not easy. I never voluntarily relinquished belief . . . the facts tore it from me. At times it was scary and painful.

• tec
    tec

Ammo

I would guess that the elders tell you that because THEY don't hear. Or because it is all that they have been taught... but taught by whom? Certainly not the Christ, or God... because that would contradict the idea that neither speak. They are just listening to one another... men who do not know, but only pretend that they know. You have more faith than them (though i would suggest that they have none at all)... and well, that just cannot BE!

You could bring your questions (of what to do with these personal experiences) to God. To Christ. Ask for understanding and guidance. You could also just take them as they were, keep listening, keep living, keep loving.

Peace to you,

tammy

• ammo
    ammo

Thanks Tammy faith is a strange thing, it cannot be seen but is undeniably felt.

Thanks Sizemilk, its funny because it was reading yours and coftys comments especially that made me want to sign up on JWN about 2 months ago now. The way you both expressed your viewwith intelligence but not haughtyness- I found very appealing.

Do you really think its self delusion? sorry to ask but the obligatoryguilt to some higher power can weigh me down somedays, if you have any suggested reading let me know please as I am still pretty new at all this......

All this being --- thinking for myself

• sizemik
    sizemik

Timings not good . . . I gotta go out. Can I come back to you on this one?

• ammo
    ammo

Please do.

Have a good one!

• shamus100
    shamus100

dontplaceliterature,

I haven't seen any posts by you being rude to believers. It's those that do and have this tit for tat mentality that I question. ;)

A crusade on an ex-jw board to convert people with faith to atheists? D: I don't buy it, but maybe there is some miscommunication here...

Did you read my post on how I became atheist? Again, for me I didn't need god anymore. Once I didn't need him I looked at everything objectively. Your experience may vary.

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

ammo - I too have heard a male voice that has warned me and helped me through various situations. I've lost count of how many times that voice has said something that has been spot on. By heeding that voice I was able to take steps that saved me from what could have been much worse situations. I used to think this voice might be evidence for some sort of god, but I now think it is a mistake to make this leap. Although I cannot explain the uncanniness of some of these experiences, many of them I think can rightly be attributed to my own ability to assimilate past experience with my current surroundings, make educated guesses, and make use of opportunities as they arise rather than let them go to waste. It might be what some people call "intuition" perhaps because the mental processing can occur rapidly.

Attributing that voice to the deity of a specific religion, e.g. "Yahweh" of the Bible is not a logical necessity. For reading recommendations, I found books like Sagan's Demon Haunted World and Dawkins' The God Delusion, while not immune to criticism, helped me to begin thinking more clearly on the subject.

• ammo
    ammo

Thanks Interested One I have heard of the God Delusion and I think I will give it crack.

I'm glad others have spoken out to 'hearing stuff' to be honest it makes me feel less like a freak,and yes I have wondered about the ol intuition, it just felt like being a bit presumptuos/ unthankful to believe it may just be me and not Jah.

One day I will put my story on a thread, its still a little raw for me so I'll give it some time.

Sorry DPL getting off topic a bit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit