What it takes to become an atheist.

by dontplaceliterature 90 Replies latest jw friends

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Embellished stories told by ignorant people thousands of years ago doesn't make for solid evidence of a god, good or bad.

• Twitch
    Twitch
    it seems that it comes down to whether or not you can accept that you will one day be permanantly gone and anyone you have lost in death will never be alive again. Once a person becomes comfortable with these two ideas, there isn't really any incentive to believe.

god might not have personal interest in humankind and just keeps winding the clock. maybe he is the clock

god may not be anything more than an effect of consciousness; he is invisible otherwise.

questions would be, would you believe in a god that doesn't grant immortality? could he still be considered god?

we are the by-products of dying stars. our star will eventually engulf our world. everything gets recycled. spirits are for mediums and mixed drinks ;)

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

A proper study and examination of the bible above and well beyond anything I'd ever done or would even want to do as a believing JW.

Once the bible is debunked, so are it's own claims and those forced upon it by its supposed adherents.

If Jesus really believed in Adam and Eve, Noahs flood etc, then he's clearly not who he claimed to be, ..the Son of God.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Dear DPL , your view of believers is the same as Satan's in the Book of Job, that people only serve God for selfish reasons.

Allegory and fable that book may be, but it is true that many believers do not serve their God for selfish reasons, when I say many that is true, but I do concede such people are a minority amongst believers.

I was the same as dear New Chapter, as a JW I believed that I was not worthy of everlasting life myself, so would not have been surprised when on Judgement day I was told to walk to the left, so my own mortality was easy to adjust to.

The strange thing is that what I miss most about there being no God, is having someone to thank, for this beautiful World, the lovely people in it, and Beer.

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

People don't form relationships with anyone for "No Reason", God included. Period. Believers NEED God. Perhaps it is companionship that people seek? How is this different than having an imaginary friend?

• still thinking
    still thinking

I suppose companionship is a big bonus...not many people like to feel alone. I know it helped me to feel less alone sometimes. A bit of self soothing never goes amiss.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    ...it seems that it comes down to whether or not you can accept that you will one day be permanantly gone and anyone you have lost in death will never be alive again.

I don't see that that has anything to do with athiesm?

Even if we could prove that life started here when a celestial janitor ejected his craft's night dirt can on the way past our solar system, it doesn't mean he did any more than that, or that he cares about the consequenses of the act.

• James Brown
    James Brown

For me it would take a mood swing.

It depends on which way the wind is blowing.

To believe, I need faith, The bible says faith comes from God.

If God gives me enough faith, I'm good to go, If he doesnt deliver on a particular day I'm an atheist.

I see I have 2 personalities, One personality wants answers and explanations, that personality is on the

atheist side of the fence.

The other personality wants to feel good and be happy in spite of the realitys of life, that personality has

faith, faith that this life is not all there is. Faith that this life is just one segment of an endless journey.

Many atheist dont care for that personality.

They say misery enjoys company and that personality is not good company.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

There are hundreds of gods, though a few successful ones have the monopoly at present. Christians reject all other gods and only believe in their god. From this point of view they are only one god away from being atheists.

First I stopped believing in the Hebrew desert god called Jehovah. I then spent some years examining Christian sects and visiting Churches. I failed to find evidence of a personal god. Next I examined the teachings of Joseph Smith; Mormonism. I then started looking into eastern religion. This made more sense and seemed less dogmatic. I still have some sympathy with the philosophy of Buddhism and Taoism. Much of modern western psychology is based on eastern wisdom. The often misunderstood Epicurean philosophy has much appeal, and is probably where I am right now.

I don’t like to be identified or labelled as an atheist or anything else. I am simply a seeker of truth. At present it seems the truth is that death is the end for us as individuals. I have accepted this and made peace with myself.

If Jesus wants to email me, write, phone, text, or visit me in the night, I shall be most cordial and listen to his sales pitch.

• corpusdei

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit