Clueless Attempt at Information Control In New Brochure

by LostGeneration 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

We should avoid such sites? This is the Age of AQUARIUS, not Pisces! If a web site is actually lying, it should be pretty blatant to someone that knows the real truth. So, one should go right ahead and read it anyways--seems I never have that problem with Satan! Instead, I am encouraged to read the opposing viewpoint just to see how blatantly absurd it is.

If they had the real truth, those "opposing web sites" would be just as blatantly absurd. At least the real truth would be plausible. Once one knows the real truth, it is almost impossible to deceive them with lies--after a certain point is reached, it becomes impossible. That being the case, why are there people that have been "in the truth tm " for 30 or more years, having pious-sneered, having gone through Beth Hell, having gone through the Value Destroyer Training School, having been lead hounders and even hounder-hounders (and one even a hounder-hounder-hounder), and still leave the cancer when they find out that it is a lie? Go ahead and research, using your favorite search engines (more than one, if you so wish), use different search engines if you wish, go to as many different sources as you feel like, and the truth will become blatant. If they are that afraid of using outside sources, chances are that they are not the truth and you will never become immune to deception by learning the organization's viewpoint.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I guess my basic response would be that "the truth" has nothing to fear from opposing information.

If I were going to buy a car, I would listen to the salesman's enthusiastic pitch and look at the glossy brochures, but what if the brochure and salesmen gave me this "warning":

A NOTE OF CAUTION:

Some Internet sites have been set up by opposers to spread false information about our wonderful product. Their intent is to draw people away and consider purchasing other vehicles. We should avoid those sites.

What would a person think of that? I'd do was tell the salesman, "I'll think about it." Then I'll go spend however much time I need on Google, checking outside information.

Obviously, the car is going to be a lemon and the salesman a scammer if there is such fear of outside information.

bean

• steve2
    steve2

Billy, I love the comparison with a car being a lemon when you buy it without inspection!

The interesting thing about these predictable warnings is they invite reactions, including "mere" curiosity. Unlike the good old days when the Watchtower warned about the dangers of reading books and brochures written by "opposers", access to these forbidden sites is now an easy key press or two away.

I recall the purposeful lengths I had to go to after I first read the Time article in 1982 about Ray Franz leaving the organization. I was so curious - but didn't know what to do with that curiosity because the information was not widely available. It took a lot of sheer willpower, persistence and patience - and ambivalence - to get more information on what had happened at bethel.

Nowadays, by stark contrast, even half-interested parties can access a significant amount of information in seconds.

While it's impossible to make a horse drink water after leading it to the pool, that horse might take a sip or two of water when you're out of sight (and you'd never know it) because to resist thirst when it's near water would be a very hard urge to keep denying.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

I remember as a JW having the sort of naivety that permitted me such arrogance; you really believed that people should listen to you and do what you said because you had "the truth".

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I remember having that same mentality Pass

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

This brochure would be the king, if they posted all the evil websites that are trying to reveal all past doctrine taught to the new reformatted congregation disk. : fdisk

:Generation 1914, Blood Fragments, UN NGO.

:Pedophile Coverup

:Magazine "The Generation That Will Not Pass Away"

Add Floppies :Insert Blank, Pliable, Inablity To Critically Think Minds

:Add Janitor, Window Washer, Jardinero Program

• VM44
    VM44

"Who Are Doing the Watchtower's Will Today"

Is this brochure available for downloading?

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

This reminds me of a comment a True Believer made during the meeting last night on the part about the "history" DVD. She said it was great to have this DVD for a "true" history about JWs because " there's so much misinformation on the Internet." I felt like going up to her and asking, Well, what exactly is the misinformation?

• baltar447
    baltar447

Ugh. They are so full of hubris. I long for the day when they implode.

• baltar447
    baltar447

Sorry double post. I'm using icab for iPhone to post.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit