Clueless Attempt at Information Control In New Brochure

by LostGeneration 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• baltar447
    baltar447

Ugh. They are so full of hubris. I long for the day when they implode.

• fugue
    fugue

Imagine you run "Bob's Burger Shack." A rival restaurant, "Bill's Grill," spreads negative information about you: "Bob's Burger Shack uses cat and dog meat in their burgers", "Bob's Burger Shack employs illegal immigrants," "Bob's Burger Shack failed their health inspection because they have dead rats in the kitchen."

IF THOSE RUMORS WERE UNTRUE, wouldn't Bob be wise to specifically address them and give evidence to prove that they're wrong? "It has been alleged that we use cat and dog meat. However, we buy our meat directly from Smith Cattle Farm on Highway 11. Also, the other allegations made against us are false. Our Health Inspection certificate is on display in our dining room, and all of our workers are documented."

BUT... what would you think if Bob just refused to address the allegations, instead posting a sign in his dining room: "There are many false accusations about our restaurant on our competitors' websites. We should avoid those sites."

Wouldn't that make you feel like there was something Bob didn't want you to see? Wouldn't you wonder if the "false allegations" were actually true?

So... why won't the washtowel actually address the "false information by opposers"? Why try to intimidate everyone into not even looking?

(Of course, we all know the answer to that question: because the information that's out there is TRUE, and the most damning information was written by the wtbts!

• steve2
    steve2
    BUT... what would you think if Bob just refused to address the allegations, instead posting a sign in his dining room: "There are many false accusations about our restaurant on our competitors' websites. We should avoid those sites."
    Wouldn't that make you feel like there was something Bob didn't want you to see? Wouldn't you wonder if the "false allegations" were actually true?

Absolutely fugue. Well said

I recall the days when the witnesses were told to say to householders who declared themselves to be members of a church:

"You need to check out in the Bible what your ministers tell you so you can tell whether that's what the Bible says".

If the householder said, "I'm not allowed to take what you're offering me because you're just spreading rumours and misinformation", imagine what some of those old-timer JWs would have said.

Yes, something like, "You owe it to yourself to make sure of all things! Besides, if what your minister tells you is in the Bible, you should have nothing to worry about in reading our magazines and checking things out in the Bible".

Big fat ugly d ouble-standard thinking. A so-called conversation with a modern-day JW is strictly a one-way street - if they even bother to try to defend their closed-eyes-and-ears policy in the first place and not simply high-tail it in the opposite direction.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

THis proves that the WTS is bleeding due to the Internet.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Couldn't you just see Scientology saying the same thing!

• sabastious
    sabastious
    "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. The great and powerful Oz has spoken!!!"

-Sab

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

you know Steve that's true. In the old days I would have called anyone down on whatever accusation they had, and if they presented evidence, I would have pick it apart. Nowadays it's a big game of duck and cover. "dubs run at the 1st sign of an "apostate"

• BU2B
    BU2B

This deserves a bump since it has just ben studied. Great thread!

• Imminent1975
    Imminent1975

Amazon has customers reviews and upon opening the page there is one sample of the highest ratings and one of the lowest ratings. I really doubt WTBTS will ever consider this.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Watchtower August 15, 1950 p. 263 Name and Purpose of The Watchtower

…The Watchtower… invites careful and critical examination of its contents in the light of the Scriptures.

The Truth That Leads to Eternal Life 1968 p.13 Why It Is Wise to Examine Your Religion

5 We need to examine, not only what we personally believe, but also what is taught by any religious organization with which we may be associated. Are its teachings in full harmony with God's Word, or are they based on the traditions of men? If we are lovers of the truth, there is nothing to fear from such an examination. It should be the sincere desire of every one of us to learn what God's will is for us, and then to do it.-John 8:32.

Awake! October 22, 1973 p. 6 Examine the Evidence

Reasonable persons agree that the only fair method is to examine the evidence on both sides, both for and against a disputed theory. That is how one arrives at the truth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit