If you were raised in a home with a JW parent and a non-JW parent: a few questions

by Lady Lee 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

If you were raised in a home with a JW parent and a non-JW parent: a few questions.

I am going to be addressing the International Cultic Studies Association (ICSA) in July at the conference in Montreal. My focus is on 3 groups. The third group consists of people people who grew up in homes where one parent was a JW and the other wasn't. The non-JW parent may have been a JW at some time or never.

1. Was your non-JW parent ever a JW?
    2. Who was responsible for your religious upbringing? The JW or the non-JW?
    3. Did they argue about it?
    4. Were you forced to go?
    5. Did the non-JW parent have any real say in how the family celebrated holidays?
    6. Over all what impact did this split household have on your childhood and even later in life?
    7. What would you want therapists to know about your situation?
    8. Any other thoughts?

Please feel free to PM me if you don't want to post on the thread

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

1) no

2) JW (mother)

3) hell yes

4) yes

5) my father and sister and I celebrated until I was about 12 or so. Then my dad gave up. My mother made the holidays intolerable for everyone.

6) probably ruined our family. Parents divorced when I was 19.

7) what I told my therapist is that for about 35 or so years of my life, I BELIEVED my father would die at armageddon because he was "worldly." I sometimes secretly hoped he would die before Armageddon came so that his "wages" would be paid and he could be resurrected. I "progressed in the truth", became an elder and invited my father to all of my Sunday talks hoping I could persuade him to come into "the truth." I lived virtually my entire life in fear of him being eternally destroyed while I lived on forever.

8) I hope you and the ICSA can help expose this group for what it is!

• cantleave
    cantleave

Was your non-JW parent ever a JW? No

Who was responsible for your religious upbringing? The JW or the non-JW? JW

Did they argue about it? It led to a bitter divorce

Were you forced to go? Yes

Did the non-JW parent have any real say in how the family celebrated holidays? No

Over all what impact did this split household have on your childhood and even later in life? Compltely screwed up my childhood, and left me fatherless

What would you want therapists to know about your situation? I was left with severe self esteem issues, found it hard to make autonomous decision and for years felt my father was a bad person for rejecting Jehovah.

Any other thoughts? I hate this religion!

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

very intersting thread, I will read some more later.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

bc and cantleave how tragic for both of you. That fear that your parent will die when Armageddon comes can . . . well I can't imagine what that fear is like to a child who loves their parent.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

My father didn't get baptized until I was 18 or 19.

Of course all little Dubbie children are forced to go the meetings, but I have to say it was my father who said I know longer had to attend after he was baptized, my mother of course was not to happy with that.

Growing up we always went to somebody's house or had folks over to our house for the Holidays, but my dad was an unbeliever then, so I think all good Dubbie wives had to carry on the holidays for their spouse or whatever.

My mother sometimes had me asked my father to come go the the Hall with us, because "if you ask him he'll come". . . oy, I got so paranoid and bashful everytime my mother laid that one on me, btw, as we left for the meeting he was still in his chair.

• nugget
    nugget

1 no

2 jw mother

3 at first my father placed restrictions but it wasn't long before we were attending evening meetings.

4 yes I wasn't aware we even had a choice.We were never asked if we wanted to go, any refusal to participate with family study or apparent lack of cooperation was greater with guilt trips. Did we not appreciate all my mother was doing for us etc.

5 no at first we were allowed holidays but again these gradually fell away as we became more indoctrinated. My father would pretend it was a relief not to have to spend money at Christmas but it was never his choice.

6 on the plus side my father was ambitious for us but in reality he had little influence against the pressure to conform. He has a strong sense of family loyalty and hated it when elders appeared to have authority over private family matters. Later knowing he was there was a huge comfort and helped us to leave. He has had more influence over my mum when we left and won't allow her to shun us. My dad is my hero.

7 being in a devided home is a constant source of stress. You can't gain the approval of both parents at the same time you are always disappointing one or the other. The organisation undermines the voice of the unbeliever and inserts elders into the father's role like a spiritual cuckoo. This makes it hard for them to be heard. It means you never had a normal childhood. I agree that you spend a lot of time preoccupied that your father will die and wondering if there is any way for them to escape gods judgement. Wishing a parent would die is a dreadful thing for a child to concern themselves with. If you lived through 1975 the feeling was constantly present.

8 we missed out on so much but were neither fish nor fowl. We couldn't have worldly friends because our mother would not approve. But we never fit in socially at the hall because our father insisted we attend assemblies whilst other witnesses had to sit outside. We felt uncomfortable at assemblies because we were taught they were bad by the organisation but were grateful we didn't have to make a stand. Childhood was a constant juggling act it gives me a headache just thinking about it.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

For some reason earlier it wouldn't let me post on this thread. I sent you a pm with my answers.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Thank you MrFreeze

If anyone wants to comment but doesn't want to post openly please PM to me.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Shirley

Growing up we always went to somebody's house or had folks over to our house for the Holidays, but my dad was an unbeliever then, so I think all good Dubbie wives had to carry on the holidays for their spouse or whatever.

wow that is a real surprose But wow got you to try to manipulate him into coming to the meetings

nugget

My father would pretend it was a relief not to have to spend money at Christmas but it was never his choice.

Hard to imagine the impact this religion has on men who aren't even a part of it. I know my mother treated my step-father like crap. (she married him after I had left home) The was zero respect for him and whatever beliefs he had.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit