If you were raised in a home with a JW parent and a non-JW parent: a few questions

by Lady Lee 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

bobbi

You are right. This is so sad. The kids have no protection. They are caught in between worlds and they fit no where

Thank you for the responses. A lot of this has come up in regards to the children where both parents are in the cult. But this one parent in and the other not ----- I think this will be very interesting foir the custody cases.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

What pains me is to see over and over how the kids got little to no support from the non-JW parent what was probably overwhelmed by the JW nonsense. And too often gave in and stopped fighting just to keep the peace if they stayed.

• nugget
    nugget

Lady Lee in fairness the JW parent is often out manouvered by the cult very early on in the process. They cannot win if they are opposed and try to make the spouse see sense and offer ultimatums and threats then the watchtower has it covered with expect opposition from those close to you. If the parent is supportive they are quickly pushed to the background as a non JW they have no authority in their own homes since their spouse is taught to defer to the elders and the society in all matters. The cult is clever and prepared the spouse is caught off guard and unprepared.

The society is good at wars of attrition and that is what child rearing becomes. As the cult becomes part of everyday life and appears less threatening the spouse is introduced to normal seeming brothers and sisters and there seems little reason to object. It is only when things go pear shaped and the full cult machine of JCs and cover ups occurs or when the children have no ambitions that the parent realises how little influence they have. Not all spouses even realise it is a cult.

My dad thought that the cult would at least teach us good morals but was powerless against the rule of the elders. The cult did not prevent sexual abuse occurring nor did it help with the mental recovery. It merely told us that punnishment and guilt were part of life even if we were victims.

It is when you exit that the non JW parent comes into their own. I became allies with my father and he provided a buffer between me and the JW relatives who shun. He became a valuable link and a neutral party able to celebrate with us and appreciate the implications of what we had done. I think he secretly loves being able to stick two fingers up to elders. Of 4 daughters 3 are free. I appreciate that there is danger generalising and that my experience may not be common but felt I should add it. I feel that unbelieving spouses are also victims in this, they are struggling to come to terms with the issues in the family just like the children.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

nugget I totally agree and that is the point I want to make. UBMs don't have a chance unless they are willing to pick up the kids and take off and they can't do that legally.

so

lack of knowledge + JW + elders = poor chance for the UBM or the kids caught in the middle.

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

1. Was your non-JW parent ever a JW?
    2. Who was responsible for your religious upbringing? The JW or the non-JW?
    3. Did they argue about it?
    4. Were you forced to go?
    5. Did the non-JW parent have any real say in how the family celebrated holidays?
    6. Over all what impact did this split household have on your childhood and even later in life?
    7. What would you want therapists to know about your situation?
    8. Any other thoughts?

1)

No.

2)

JW

3)

JW parent got upset about non-JW's uninterest.

4)

A couple times as a child I didn't want to but was guilted into it.

5)

Sort of. But the non-JW parent didn't are either way, so it didn't matter.

6)

I worry about their arguing and other problems. Many are caused by the Non-JW parent and are not religion-related, but some by the JW parent are frequently tinged with vague references to dying in armageddon. That worried and terified me as a child, and the repeated warnings that the non-JW would eventually hate us, oppose us, try to hurt us scared me and still makes it hard to not be scared of others and to trust them.

7) I wasn't given much choice but to "love" Jehovah and mistrust all non-JW relatives. It made life scary, lonely, and awkward. All caring and love was conditional, all of life's pleasures were temporary (and therefore hard to enjoy) because of Armegeddon coming so very soon.

8) It still makes me sad.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

1. Was your non-JW parent ever a JW? - my JW parent was my mother, non JW my father. My father was never a JW, though he did study for a couple of months and came to one or two meetings, in that time though he saw through it.
    2. Who was responsible for your religious upbringing? The JW or the non-JW? The JW
    3. Did they argue about it? They did argue. Some of it was between themselves and the doctrinal differences they had. Some of it was about me - they weren't about the trivial things like birthdays or christmas, but about me being blinded to what was going on. I remember many many arguments that sometimes ended violent (my mother hitting my father) He would try speak to me about other theories and as you know that wasn't allowed.
    4. Were you forced to go? Honestly I don't know - I wasn't born in, but my mother converted when I was very young. I remember celebrating a christmas and a birthday but then I wasn't allowed to again and didn't really understand why.
    5. Did the non-JW parent have any real say in how the family celebrated holidays? Amazingly I remember going a number of times for christmas lunch, but I had to make sure that I didn't say Merry Christmas.
    6. Over all what impact did this split household have on your childhood and even later in life? My mother and father initially split when I was young, remarried again and then divorced again. As a child you are torn in 2 - you want to enjoy the freedoms of the non witness family member but you are always on guard because of the witness parent. You are constantly walking a fine line. Now - well I used to believe I was okay - you know strong and independent - but I also realise I was made to grow up very quickly. I had huge responsibilities from a very young age. Had to learn to stand on my own two feet and in a way I was robbed of a childhood. Then again, it's moulded me into the adult I am today - sometimes a little shakey on the ground I stand but overall I am a very strong independent woman that will not take people's crap.
    7. What would you want therapists to know about your situation? that one was made to feel like you were never worthy. You always had to prove your worth and even then it wasn't good enough.
    8. Any other thoughts? Growing up in this situation (with the religion as being the big factor) makes one very cynical. Trust issues arise. Is that a good or bad thing? Not too sure when a lot of the time you are questioning people motives all of the time.
  • Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Thanks Chem and LouBelle

What I hear you saying is that for many of you being caught in the middle was really hard. And the JW side was always placing a lot of guilt on very young shoulders.

Some of you were very afraid of the non-JW parent dying and some even were angry that you weren't protected more.

Those are certainly issues I will wnat to point out to the audience.

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

Exactly right, Lady Lee.

And I might add, I was not a perfect child but wanted so badly to be one, so that my non-JW parent would come into the truth and not die, of course. While it was rarely used directly as a threat, I was led to believe that I could, theoretically, be bloodguilty and god might kill me at Armegeddon or not protect me if I was in danger (rape was always emphasized as a danger, as I was female, as was bullying), if I wasn't a good enough daughter and didn't try my very best to make my dad want to be a JW. Strangely, it usually made me so depressed that while I didn't behave badly at all, I didn't behave that great, either.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

This is a very interesting thread.

Nugget - It is only when things go pear shaped and the full cult machine of JCs and cover ups occurs or when the children have no ambitions that the parent realises how little influence they have. Not all spouses even realise it is a cult.

This is a problem I have seen several times. It is a self fulfilling prophecy that JW kids go off the rails, and when that happens, the non-JW can blame themselves. A girl in my congregation with a unbelieving father left the religion in her 20's and then did a lot of experimentation with drugs and sex. The father saw that the daughter went crazy once she left the religion, and so started to become interested in the Witnesses. A classic case of mixing up cause and effect.

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

1. Was your non-JW parent ever a JW? - NO
    2. Who was responsible for your religious upbringing? The JW or the non-JW?JW Parent
    3. Did they argue about it? NO, at least not in front of me. I never sensed it was an issue.
    4. Were you forced to go? Well... I was never given an option NOT to go. EXTREME guilt was imposed on any sibling that expressed any desire to not go to a meeting. So much so that i rarely recall it ever happening. When I was age 12 to say age 18 the last place I wanted to be was in a KH but I wouldnt dare ever say that out loud, the rage and guilt from my JW parent would have been relentless.
    5. Did the non-JW parent have any real say in how the family celebrated holidays? Nope, it was all decided by JW parent. Final.
    6. Over all what impact did this split household have on your childhood and even later in life? As a child I often blamed my lack of interest in the "truth" to the fact I had only one JW parent. This led me not to respect that parent. Later in life when I realized my lack of interest was because of internal dichotemy (knowing inside it was bull shit but suppressing those feelings) I lost all respect for my JW parent. The most difficult part is not being able to ask my unbelieving parent for forgiveness since they have died. Only my JW parent is still around.
    7. What would you want therapists to know about your situation? I remember talking to a therapist when I was at the beginning of my path to understanding. At the time I was unaware that my depression was largely due to this dichotemy coming to light. I was denying it. When my therapist asked me what religion I was I did not provide an answer and said I did not want to make that a part of my discussions. The problem was it was at the very core of my issues. This is why so many JW's have difficulty recovering from depression since they deny themselelves the help they need to recover and compound the problem by seeking advice from elders and from the WTS - often the vary source of the problem.
      I would want therapists to know that I am living a life chronically plagued with guilt, a never ending feeling of inadequacy fueled by those whom I look to for guidance. I am looking for someone to TELL me what to do because that is what I have been conditioned to need. I am not capable of confidence in my own decisions. I NEED approval. I NEED someone to pat me on the back and tell me that I am doing what I should be doing. This is the core of my problem as the vary people I seek the approval of are themselves the reason I seek approval.
      the never ending spiral into a life long ensarement by a cult.
    8. Any other thoughts? As an adult looking back I actually don't resent my upbringing, I resent that I was not able to emotionally break free at a younger age. I resent that my JW parent used this religion as a way to control me, while at the same time some how pacifying their gult for being a lousy parent - if they force their kids to be good JW's this will somehow be their golden ticket with Jehovah and make all their bad parenting okay.
      What being rasied a JW has done for me for the positive is that I am very in touch with my spiritual self now that I am mentally free. I have no fear from an existential perspective. My life has meaning because I give it meaning.
      So many people spend their entire lives never being satisfied with any spiritual or existential meaning. While I am still on this journey (as I believe it is life long) I am satisfied that I am not losing out on anything, or that the "truth" is somehow out there and I need to find it. I know that truth is internal, that my happiness is from within and not from some external source or group that I need to search for.
      this is my truth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit