Love of video games = love of violence? August 2012 Awake!

by sd-7 57 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

People relieve stress in different ways. For some, all it takes a video game where you wipe out an opponent. It can be as simple as Mario jumping on a turtle shell or graphically blowing someone apart who's trying to kill you. I don't buy into the whole 'fomenting violence' thing. It largely depends on how you feel after playing the game. Does it make you angry or upset you in any way? Do you play it all the time and does it consume your life? If so, then you need to stop playing it and deal with your obvious anger issues. Granted, I can think of a hundred more creative things to do than playing a violent video game. I just can't condemn someone for doing it anymore than I can get all pious on someone who's had too much to drink. That's the only thing I liked about being disfellowshipped. Now all this time was mine, and it was up to me on how to spend it.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Don't baseball bats enable people to beat up women with baseball bats?

Let's ban baseball!

• sd-7
    sd-7
    One of the early video games that spurred on advocates was Double Dragon, the beginning showed a gang of thugs walk up, punch the lead character's girlfriend and then toss her over his shoulder (you could see her panties too, eeeek) and that set the stage for a Punch 'em up, fighting game to rescue the damsel in distress.

What about the two women with the whips that would attack you? Or Abobo, the big bald guy who could slap you to death? Or those guys who would throw dynamite in your face? Or the most brutal of foes, stalactites!

Howdy fellow goldeneye player sd-7.

Yeah, that was my game back in high school. First-person made me dizzy, but I still played it a lot. Given the context of this post, I suppose praising the automatic shotgun that was in the game would be inappropriate...

--sd-7

• sd-7
    sd-7

Double Dragon

Violent video game known as 'Double Dragon'.

--sd-7

• sd-7
    sd-7

goldeneye

...And Goldeneye. Hmm. I don't remember shooting anyone in a bathroom...oh wait, yeah, I do...never mind.

--sd-7

• Azazel
    Azazel

Paralipomenon one of my favourite "old" time games was a varient of Wolfenstein called Blakestone 3D awesome weapons. Then came Doom.....

Az

• sd-7
    sd-7

Mega man

I just had to include the most violent of all games, MEGA MAN. You kill the same 8 robots, TWICE, along with hundreds of other robots, and then blow up the a doctor's home--a DOCTOR!--and arrest him.

Evil!

--sd-7

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Wow I'm glad that the WT pointed this out. Ever since I've taken to secretly killing zombies I have become ultra violent. After I've eviscerated the commons and used headshots on the specials I feel unfulfilled and yearn for more action. While out in the supermarket i find myself mentally checking out where the exits are ,the best defensive points (delicatessen and fish counter ) and constantly evaluating the offensive capabilities of products on the shelves. The satanic influence of game playing has left me with an incredible urge to survive the apocalypse so I can run between safe rooms with the chosen ones killing all who stand in my way. I need help. I need a good peaceful book or something that doesn't focus on brutal murder and corruption of the flesh.

• afreeman
    afreeman

I was playing Assassin's Creed II earlier today. Guess this explains why I've been feeling this urge to wear hidden blades and kill people with them.

• d0rkyd00d
    d0rkyd00d

Here's the last paragraphs from the article.

The problem with violence in videogames isn’t its mythical ability to corrupt the nation’s youth, but that for so long it has been the only meaningful interaction with the game world. Alternatives have always existed, but only in the last few years have they begun to permeate into the major blockbusters. When they become as much a part of the language of game design as 20-hit combos, the medium will become richer, and offer rewards to those people who see no merit in it now.

“I don’t think it’s a problem, insofar as it is really just a symptom of the immaturity of our form,” says Hecker. “I think violence is a tool that will be in the toolbox, but it will be joined by other actions and emotions, hopefully including love, jealousy, betrayal, and all the other characteristics that make art great and are meaningful to people.

“Violence is meaningful and powerful, except when you use it to the exclusion of all other dramatic and emotional tools; then it just becomes gratuitous and meaningless. Killing your hundredth orc is no different from killing your tenth orc, but killing your spouse in a jealous rage and then having to deal with the consequences is completely different and is the stuff of great art… Uh, fictionally speaking, that is.”

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit