Love of video games = love of violence? August 2012 Awake!

by sd-7 57 Replies latest watchtower bible

• d0rkyd00d
    d0rkyd00d

Take-out-of-context much?

• Rydor
    Rydor

So, Diablo III, approved for Witnesses or not?

I've never understood their thinking here. Do they realize the object of the game is to kill demons? Not worship them?

• sd-7
    sd-7

10 years later...

"Caleb, what are you playing?"

"Oh. It's Diablo X. Take that, you demon!"

"Caleb, can you turn off the game for a moment? Like, an overlapping generation kind of moment?"

"Sure, Mom. What's up?"
    "Does that game have [squinting] demons in it?"
    "Yes. But I'm killing them, so it's okay, right?"
    "But who wants you to think about demons? Is it Jehovah? [Squinting] Or Satan?"
    "Again, Mom? Seriously? So it was okay for the drama to have that creepy demon-possessed girl at the district convention, but not okay to kill demons in a game?"

"Steve! He's exercising independent thinking again!"
    Steve [sadistically]: "Remember, son, he that is entrusted with much will be beaten with many strokes."

Caleb [backing away]: "Dad, no!"

[Caleb limps out to the trash bin, dumps 'Diablo X' into the trash...]

Caleb: "Bastard...[smiling mischievously]...good thing I already burned a copy of it. I'll just play it when he's at his elder's meeting and she's getting drunk on wine coolers with 'Billy the Bible Study'...heh heh heh!"

[Switch to inside of trash bin; a snake curls around 'Diablo X' game...then lets out a gleeful laugh that sounds like a thousand laughs...]

--sd-7

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I still play Crash Bandicoot games, Pacman world and other Pacman games .. I figure it is keeping me young and agile..

Most my age don't even know how to turn on a computer let alone play a video game..course I have never advanced past Playstation one..

Snoozy..will that make me violent?..

• Badfish
    Badfish

one popular game enables players to simulate beating women to death with baseball bats.

I always did enjoy beating hookers to death with a baseball bat on Grand Theft Auto.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

In the midweek meeting there was a segment on violence including violent video games.

"Of course they drag out the "Jehovah hates those who love violence" quotes as well."

1 Samuel 18:7

The women who were celebrating would sing: “Saul has struck down his thousands, And David his tens of thousands.”

David was a man after Jehovah's heart, but yet Jehovah hates him.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Saul was probably a support class, like a shaman. He was buffing David and letting him do all of the DPS. David, like all melee class players, hogged all the glory. What an ass.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

The thing that gets me down about the religion and meetings more than anything you all can say is this: when they talk about things in such generality such as Jehovah is offended because we watch violent videos.

Jehovah is offended because I watched Superman and Zod battle it out?

Really?

Isn't that the point of Superman to be strong that he can fight and not get hurt?

Then there is the reality. War is real and violent.

Is he offended because we observe history?

The blanket categorizations are what I can't take.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit