Love of video games = love of violence? August 2012 Awake!

by sd-7 57 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

This is just another ploy to try and get YOU to remove any outside (non-wash-towel) stimuli from your life.

But they aren't controlling or going beyond the things taught.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

yes because often, people play others on line. Uh oh, thats contact with the outside world

• sd-7
    sd-7

I don't think behavior in video games necessarily transfers over into real life. It is true that most games I could think of require some form of violence. But I hardly think that a child who plays Super Mario Bros. is somehow adding to the sum total of violence in the world.

Wha happened?--I don't know. Pong may teach vengeful behavior--hit the ball back at the other person! And what violence occurs when vehicles attempt to run over Frogger! Some players may intentionally allow cars to run over Frogger, enjoying the cruelty towards animals. No doubt Mario and Luigi murdered their share of turtles and destroyed many piranha plants and other creatures.

Andre, who played Super Mario Bros. regularly for years, relates: "I developed a strong desire to step on any creature I encountered, be they plant, animal, or human. Soon I wanted to learn to fly, shoot fire, and throw or smash objects. I was prone to anger all the time." Thankfully, Jehovah's Witnesses visited him and showed him how God feels about violence. He admitted: "It took much effort and sacrifice to change my thinking. Eventually, I threw away my video games and spent my time learning about Jehovah and helping others to serve him." Andre is now a ministerial servant and regular pioneer. Truly, the rewards of shunning violence are many. May we learn to hate it, as Jehovah does, and thus spare ourselves from being subjected to the final act of violence--Armageddon--that is soon to come.

--sd-7

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Andre? LMFAO

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

My nephew introduced me to playing Scarface on the Wii. Now I have a grudge against those cockaroaches and Columbians, mang. Should have listened to the ¡Despertad! magazine.

• sd-7
    sd-7

Then it's on like Donkey Kong, Las Malvinas!

I think the only games I played where shooting someone was reasonably realistic-looking were maybe Goldeneye and Mission: Impossible on the Nintendo 64. Can't say it wasn't therapeutic, but it certainly didn't occur to me to then go and shoot real people. I mean, come on. Does the WTS assume there is such a moral and mental absence in the world that there's nothing but negative input that mindlessly turns into wanton violent output? Well, their faith in humanity's capacity for good is non-existent anyhow, so...figures.

Even so, I don't find blood and gore in video games to be exciting or entertaining; I find it disturbing. I tended to steer clear of those kinds of games 99.9% of the time in favor of adventure games and lighter fare.

Wha happened?--You know I had to throw Andre in there. I mean, the man is everywhere. He's proven so exemplary that I think I need to start using him in more parts during my satire.

Elders pull Andre into back room: "Brother Andre, we've noticed you're doing so well at the meetings--you're commenting, you do everything the brothers ask you to do, and you're zealous for the ministry. Um...we're thinking of using you more fully. Would you like to let Jehovah use you more fully?"

Andre: "Yes, Brother Asholicus. How can I help?"

"Well, we need someone to do the experiences in The Beast-Tower. Would you mind sharing some of yours with us?"

Andre: "Would I?!"

--sd-7

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

I have been playing video games since I was very young. I haven't really cared about the content, if the gameplay is fun I enjoyed it.

One of the early video games that spurred on advocates was Double Dragon, the beginning showed a gang of thugs walk up, punch the lead character's girlfriend and then toss her over his shoulder (you could see her panties too, eeeek) and that set the stage for a Punch 'em up, fighting game to rescue the damsel in distress.

To date, I haven't punched any women or any men for that matter.

I played Wolfenstein, where you mow down nazis, demons and eventually a cybernetically enhanced Hitler. I haven't shot anyone and have no desire to do so.

People love to point to games about shocking antics because it's something they don't understand. If you instill even the basic of parenting into your children they will be able to tell what is fantasy and what is reality. That said, there are psychopaths in this world that don't have any morals. They will be dangerous regardless of what they play or do for entertainment.

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

Howdy fellow goldeneye player sd-7.

Adrea what an ass, LOL

• dinah
    dinah

There is more violence in the Bible than in your average game.

I've played the Resident Evil series for the last 14 years. I've not shot anybody in real life. And if I did, blame it on my temper, not the game.

• dinah
    dinah

sd-7, you are KILLING me!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit