Fistfights for seats at DC?

by Blind_Of_Lies 63 Replies latest jw experiences

• mercedes_29
    mercedes_29

I remember conventions in Providence and the women there would always grab seats, saved or not. Later we had to go to the Coliseum in New Haven and the attendants started roping off areas so we all had to sit together down in the front rows.

• Fencing
    Fencing

Never personally witnessed any fist fights, but I will tell you having spent many a convention opening the doors in the mornings, these supposedly unified, loving, "happiest people on earth" turn into rabid animals the second those doors open.

• blondie
    blondie

***km4/11p.5par.6ThreeDaysofSpiritualRefreshment***We show good manners by entering the building in a calm and orderly way when it opens at 8:00 a.m. and by saving seats only for those living in our home or traveling in our vehicle or for our current Bible students.

*** km 4/04 p. 3 par. 3 “Let Us Exalt His Name Together” ***God’s Word admonishes us to ‘let all our affairs take place with love.’ (1 Cor. 16:14) When the doors open at 8:00 a.m., consideration for others will restrain us from running, rushing, pushing, or shoving in an effort to get to the seats we prefer before others do. Seats may be saved only for those traveling with you in the same vehicle or living with you in the same home.—1 Cor. 13:5; Phil. 2:4.

*** km 5/01 p. 6 par. 7 Do Good and Be Praised! ***When the convention doors open at 8:00 a.m., some brothers and sisters can be seen running, pushing, and shoving to obtain the “best” seats. Injuries have resulted because of this type of behavior.

*** km 5/93 p. 4 par. 14 Benefit Fully From the 1993 “Divine Teaching” District Convention ***We do not push or shove when lining up for food or publications.

• the_raisin
    the_raisin

In the Romeoville assemlbies in IL, the best seats were those right in front of the baptizing pool behind the glass, or so everyone thought. I always lobbied my parents for the seats aaaallll the way back, right by the doors, because I could fall asleep without anyone watching the back of my head jerking back and forth. Plus I could take off my shoes and no worries about who might see :p

• whathehadas
    whathehadas

I have never understood how these big sports complexes somehow manage to park hundreds if not thousands of cars once a week all season long without 100 guys standing around flapping their arms "directing" yet the most loving organization in the world cannot park themselves without instruction. Blind Of Lies

I never understood that either, and Why couldn't they just PAY some outside source to do the parking duties? So the "brothers" would not have any distractions and could be in their seat for the program. I hated having to do parking every year! Some of the "brothers and sisters" were the biggest DOUCHEBAGS ever!

• biometrics
    biometrics

A relative of mine used to save us seats, even though they were all told not to.

You could never get a good seat, and the venues were always too small to seat everyone.

And the love you'd express when someone came in late and asked the whole row to move up two seats.

Then there's the loving brother's and sisters who constantly kick the back of your chair.

It's all love.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I became part of the solution when I stopped going. One less seat to fight for.

• dreamgolfer
    dreamgolfer

Only thing I saw was "karate Chop movements" - that really took the cake,

thought I was at a Jackie Chan movie - but alas on the DC in SF! Cow Palace Rules!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

actually u need people flapping their arms. I was in Long Beach one year and there were no brothers directing traffic. You should have seen the traffic crunch. It took almost an hour to get out of the parking lot, whn it would normally only take 15 min or less.

• sir82
    sir82

Ya know, this got me to thinking....

Suppose it's the great tribulation, and 100 JWs are all hiding in the Kingdom Hall. There are mobs of violent angry armed people roaming the streets.

Some brave JW has gone out in search of food. He comes back - all he has found are 20 cans of tuna.

But no one there hiding in the Kingdom Hall has eaten for 3 days.

If JWs are disposed to fight each other over frickin' seats at a convention, how much more so are they going to beat each other up when things are really desperate?

"New personality" - Ha! Only while it is convenient....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit