Did anyone find the movie The Grey slightly offensive?

by Chemical Emotions 37 Replies latest social entertainment

• La Falta Habitacion Por Sr Hor-Hey!!
    La Falta Habitacion Por Sr Hor-Hey!!
    I disagree on the "its just fiction" point. Jaws was also just fiction but fistered an irrational fear of sharks for decades. Peter Benchly himself regreted the damage caused to the perception of sharks as a result and worked for years to promote shark conservation... Any harm caused by a movie isnt worth it. Facts are important, even to the perceptions of zombies

With the Jaws thing though, can you really fault the writers, producers, director, etc.? I mean they put out a fictional movie to entertain the public. You can't fault them for the public being overly irrational to the point of blatant stupidity. The reality is people are just stupid. I mean look at us, we're the ultimate example of stupidity, we're Jehovah's Witnesses.

• elderelite
    elderelite

I am pasionate about protecting animals.... Especially animal with a bad rap simply because they are preditors. All animals serve a function in theecosystem and i am not fond of what jaws did and promoted. People have needlessly killed sharks out of fear instead of respecting their rile. Same with hawks... Farmers kill them because they fear for chickens and the like or stupid pideon keepers who trap and kill coopers hawks to "protect" their filthy birds, or the case CE mentions, herders who fear for flocks and kill wolves... All animals play a role. I agree that a movie is just that. A work of fiction that is supposed to entertain, but the irrational fear some of these promot is detrimential and bothers me... Not saying the movies shouldnt have been made, i just dont like the knee jerk reactions

• tinker
    tinker

A really great movie about wolves is from 1983 "Never Cry Wolf" One of my all time favorites.

• elderelite
    elderelite

Indeed! And based on a true story....

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

I loved the movie. Specially the ending. I don't see how anyone can confuse the portrayal of the wolves with the real animals, it's very obvious that they were a bit exaggerated in the first scene when they stare back at them.

• Glander
    Glander

I had put this movie on my "want to see" list but now I'm not so sure. Not because of the portrayal of wolves, but the description of the boring dialogue, acting, etc.

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

It was entertaining, but then again It's one of my favorite genres. I thought the main character's self dialogue was kind of boring, but somehow I think the last dialogue in the scene made up for it.

If you're a fan of the Survival Thriller genre you'll love this movie.

• besunny
    besunny

I really didn't like the movie either,,totally unfair picture of wolves,,just glad I watched it at home on Vudu and didn't pay big bucks at the theater

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

Deist: I know. Zombies are WAY smarter than those idiots from night of the living dead. Very unfair.

I agree with elderlite. The thing is, even though it's just fiction and COULD be harmless, the prevelance of these movies and people's general ignorance about animals is just a bad combination. We all have a responsibility to not feed ignorance.

Nomad Soul: the self diologue at the begining was the WORST! The end was, imho, only slightly better. For me, a movie's gotta be consistently good or occasionally great. Not occasionally tolerable. :)

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

Joe Bob says two thumbs up to "The Grey." I didn't walk away from this movie thinking twice about the actual habits of wolves, because I knew it was fiction when I bought my ticket. Very entertaining and great non-Hollywood ending.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit