Did anyone find the movie The Grey slightly offensive?

by Chemical Emotions 37 Replies latest social entertainment

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

Its portrayal of grey wolves was horribly inaccurate. It will probably lead to an even more negative attitude toward wolves, which puts them in more danger. I believe I read that the creators bought dead wolves while producing the movie.

Its main characters' philosophizing was pretentious, cliched, and insulting to my intelligence. Like an Ayn Rand novel, it lazily, and not very skillfully, regurgitated an unintersting slew of pop philosophy and oft-repeated ideas that no longer have as much intellectual or emotional impact, especially when repeated by actors who sounded as bored as I was.

Am I just being to critical? I just kept thinking: How can movies still be so bad when we have so much knowledge? How can society take so much pleasure in being condescended to and treated as if they were totally incompetent? Do we need to steriotype even generally harmless animals as vicious, cruel beasts simply to justify our desire to slaughter other living creatures- while those very animals our being viciously killed by US in real life?

Idk. Just thinking. Maybe it's an over-reaction. What did all of you think?

• Leolaia
  • Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

Oh, thanks for the link! Interesting!

• Twitch
    Twitch

I guess Farley Mowat wasn't consulted for this one...

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

Lol, apparently not!

• glenster
  • Diest
    Diest

Yes but not nearly as offensive as the portrayal of zombies in Night of The Living Dead. They have feelings too.

• cheerios
    cheerios

meh .. its just fiction. fiction isnt required to be factually accurate. that is why it is fiction.

the real problem isnt the misrepresentation of wolves. the real problem is that the majority of people nowadays are too stupid and/or non-thinking to understand that fiction isnt real.

you should be happy that you are not one of those people and can see thru the fiction.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

i too am highly offended the way zombies are portrayed at the movies, night of the living dead is just one of the many movies that incorrectly portray these dear zombies in such a manner

• elderelite
    elderelite

I disagree on the "its just fiction" point. Jaws was also just fiction but fistered an irrational fear of sharks for decades. Peter Benchly himself regreted the damage caused to the perception of sharks as a result and worked for years to promote shark conservation... Any harm caused by a movie isnt worth it. Facts are important, even to the perceptions of zombies

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit