Did anyone find the movie The Grey slightly offensive?

by Chemical Emotions 37 Replies latest social entertainment

• James Brown
    James Brown

I think it was a grade D movie.

I've seen it or something like it 50 times.

I saw the movie you are talking about Friday Night with Liam Neeson.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I resent the depiction of Smurfs being called fiction! They are very, very real and magical. One jumped up during a meeting and ran out of the Kingdom Hall. But nobody believes it, because the hall was full of Zombies that knock on people's doors, and nobody ever believes Zombies.

Disclaimer: I am proactively sorry to any Zombies that are offended by being compared to JW's.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

What about Congo, where gorrillas are totally portrayed as aggressive killing machines?

Seriously though, unless it's a documentary or historical, I give movies a very wide berth in their storylines. I didn't feel after watching it that I had to go out in a helicopter and start sniping wolves.

• steve2
    steve2
    I think it was a grade D movie.
    I've seen it or something like it 50 times.
    I saw the movie you are talking about Friday Night with Liam Neeson.

I totally agree. I once was a big Neeson fan, but this has "Liam-Neeson-film-cliche" written all over it. No one does male angst better than Liam. No one does quiet rage better either. But after a succession of these sorts of roles, none stick out. They all merge into one. The man wears the same unending pained expression, the same sterling silver manliness.

For once, I'd love to see him lighten up and drop the heaviness. He almost did that in the role of Kinsey in the film of the same name -but even in that latent grubby sexed-up role, he was too uptight to convey passion.

• elderelite
    elderelite

I think a critical differance between "congo" (a terrible movie) and the grey is that we dont have apes here in the usa roaming free or as a native population. Anyone in the us who sees congo isnt to be a position to take action on a view point based on the movie. Wolves are native to the us though and important to the eco system. Just sayin, these movies exagerate the natural fear some have of preditory animals in an irrational way, prompting slaughter and pointless killing. Jaws was notable instance. Just my .02

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

It's not that I disagree that movies have a right to do this, but I dunno...this film just...bugged me. But then again, I'm not even a movie fan. And after recently viewing the '60s Lord of the Flies, EVERYTHING is disappointing by comparison. :)

"I think a critical differance between "congo" (a terrible movie) and the grey is that we dont have apes here in the usa roaming free or as a native population. Anyone in the us who sees congo isnt to be a position to take action on a view point based on the movie. Wolves are native to the us though and important to the eco system. Just sayin, these movies exagerate the natural fear some have of preditory animals in an irrational way, prompting slaughter and pointless killing. Jaws was notable instance. Just my .02"

^ this.

• Chemical Emotions
  • elderelite
    elderelite

CE, i started a thread on whale wars and conservation if you wanna pop by....

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

Cool, I'll check that thread out. I've been meaning to! :)

• Glander
    Glander

steve2, I agree that Liam has been type cast. The same thing with Harrison Ford. He has an intense anger scene in every picture he's been in for the last twenty years. He phones it in. Hell, I can flare my nostrils and look pissed off as good as him. I would do it for onlt $1 million too. Save them a lot of money.

between the two I think Neeson has more range and is more interesting to watch.

Too many movies today rely on CG effects and neglect telling a good tale with good acting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit