Medical Marijuana, Your opinion please?

by Greybeard 164 Replies latest jw friends

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

I used to be a very heavy drinker and it was causing problems in my life. Drink drink drink and always sick and miserable the next day, almost impossible to go to work. Caused problems with friendships and with family. I drank to cover over my severe social anxiety problems but of course it caused more.

When I started using MJ, I very quickly and substancially cut back on my drinking. It has helped calm my anxiety and stress more than I could put into words. I used to miss a lot of work because I would be too hungover to get to work and was always worried about losing my job, but I never miss work anymore since I started using MJ. I am a much calmer, reasonable person, have been able to overcome my social issues and make real friends (not all pot-smokers by any means) and has helped with my back and neck problems. I always got sick off of pain meds that doctors give me and know too many people addicted to painkillers and have seen them ruin their lives so I was scared of them anyway.

With MJ, I of course enjoy the feeling i get when I use it, but I don't feel a need for it like i did with drinking. I can use it every day, then just stop for a while with no withdrawal issues.

The health risks associated with MJ are incredibly lower than many other legal products. The only people I know who have gotten into trouble over MJ are people who were arrested for possesion or fired for failing a drug test, NOT because they caused any kind of harm or damage due to using. On the other hand, I cant count the number of people I have met who have injured themselves or wrecked a car due to alchohol abuse.

Sounds tough to believe, but MJ has made me a better person.

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.

Hey i'm doing this in my Advatar LOL!!!!!

Oh Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!

• botchtowersociety
  • truthlover
    truthlover

A relative has MMJ and is licensed to grow his own, quanity is monitored, got stopped by police and they checked his license and found it ok

has it for chronic pain, insomnia, emotional distress - has a certain type which as I understand, there are many types, that controls the pain issues.

The only reason it was banned in the first place back in the early 1900's was because of the rising dependability on alcohol and the heavies behind the distribution of it.. currently, medications for pain, etc. are being made out of MJ and it is reported that legal pain killers can be prescribed by dr's .. apparently there is a hue and cry to have it legalized in many states and provinces of Canada and US.. after all, wasn't Coca Cola using cocaine in their original ingredients... cough med was also laced with drugs..

Hemp was so closely related to Mj that they even stopped growing that - a miracle plant that could stop starvation , have so many uses that it would put some companies out of business today..and clean the earth of pollution, because of those dear cronies in govt who felt it was akin to MJ - you can only grow that with a govt license.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    Shirley: From listening to the court shows, like Judge Judy and a few others, just from hearing the so-called "medical reasons" a lot of folks are prescribed legal pot is an absolute joke. Asthma, ADHD, really ? ? ? ....And btw I've never even tried the stuff myself.
    LKL: Huge problem with today's society. People criminalizing/demonizing things of which they know nothing about.

Hang on, Lysmith, I understand the researchers at Johns Hopkins University always seek the medical expertise of Judge Judy before undertaking a new study. So I'm sure you get the same information - or better - if you just skip the middleman and watch Judy.

In Shirley's defense, hers is a prejudice that I used to share. Then I realized I'd been a parroting misinformation all my life.

I had a fundy at work tell me that MJ should remain illegal because it 'makes people lazy and incompetent'. I think he got his perception from Cheech & Chong. I told him how the famous astrophysicist Carl Sagan was a MJ user. He immediate reply was, "Yeah, and he probably could've been a REAL scientist if not for smoking that stuff."

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

Good man Charlie!

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    I told him how the famous astrophysicist Carl Sagan was a MJ user.

So are a number of Nobel Prize winners and US Founders...including the likes of Washington, Lincoln, and others.

The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world."
    - Carl Sagan quote on Marijuana

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

And we also have to MJ to thank for The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan, Bob Marley... and soooo many others.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith
    Hang on, Lysmith, I understand the researchers at Johns Hopkins University always seek the medical expertise of Judge Judy before undertaking a new study. So I'm sure you get the same information - or better - if you just skip the middleman and watch Judy.

Judge Judy would very likely benefit from a tug or two off a nice phatty. Might reduce the abuse that she dishes out by calming her down a shade or two.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

What a bunch of lazy stoners.

http://www.marijuanalibrary.org/7_presidents.html

American High Society

The extent of cannabis smoking during the Colonial era is still subject to debate. President George Washington wrote a letter that contained an oblique reference to what may have been hashish. "The artificial preparation of hemp, from Silesia, is really a curiosity." 38 Washington made specific written references to Indian hemp, or cannabis indica, and hoped to "have disseminated the seed to others. " 39 His August 7, 1765 diary entry, "began to separate the male from the female (hemp) plants," describes a harvesting technique favored to enhance the potency of smoking cannabis, among other reasons. 40 Hemp farmer Thomas Jefferson and paper maker Ben Franklin were ambassadors to France during the initial surge of the hashish vogue. Their celebrity status and progressive revolutionary image afforded them ample opportunities to try new experiences. Jefferson smuggled Chinese hemp seeds to America and is credited with the phrase in the Declaration of Independence, "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

Did the Founding Fathers of the United States of America smoke cannabis? Some researchers think so. Dr. Burke, president of the American Historical Reference Society and a consultant for the Smithsonian Institute, counted seven early presidents as cannabis smokers: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe, Andrew Jackson, Zachary Taylor and Franklin Pierce. 41 "Early letters from our founding fathers refer to the pleasures of hemp smoking," said Burke. Pierce, Taylor and Jackson, all military men, smoked it with their troops. Cannabis was twice as popular among American soldiers in the Mexican War as in Vietnam: Pierce wrote to his family that it was "about the only good thing" about that war.

Central and Western African natives were farming and harvesting cannabis sativa in North America as slaves. If they did smoke on the plantations, that would be kept secret. 42 By the time of the Louisiana purchase in 1803, New Orleans had a mixed Spanish, French, Creole, Cajun, Mexican and Black population. The city teemed with adventurers and sailors, wise to the ways of cannabis. It was mixed with tobacco or smoked alone, used to season food 43, to treat insomnia and impotence, and so on.

Cannabis was mentioned as a medicinal agent in a formal American medical text as early as 1843. 44

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit