So you think you were a True Witness?

by FaithfulBrother 37 Replies latest jw friends

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

FaithfulBrother, WOW, you were totally abused, and I thoutht I had been hard on my children. You did not even have school as a outlet. You need some counseling for your anger and reading the books recommened will also help.

Leave the bottle alone and get some help. My husband became very depressed after the early (30 years) death of his brother and his own disfellowshipment and drank himself to death at the age of 62. It is not an easy way to

go. You now have your whole life ahead of you. It can be a great life. You are in control now! Most of us born-in (I was 4 so I count myself as one) wasted our youth in that crazy organization. You are not alone. There are some

great people on this site you can vent and talk to and get good advice from. We have been there and done that. Your life was extreme jw upbringing!!

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Welcome! You really need to see a psychologist/counselor about your childhood abuse. Just because your parents never drew blood beating you or molested you does not mean you aren't a victim of abuse.

Armageddon is not coming. You have decades of life ahead of you that can be used happily and productively. Don't let the fact you had asshole parents ruin your entire life!

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa
    For some strange reason, I still have this nagging voice in the back of my head that this system is not going to last long enough for me to grow old in this system. So I choose to drink. I choose to live the last remaining days knowing that I am doomed to everlasting destruction, but my last days will be filled with drunken semi-happiness rather than being a miserable slave to a corporation in exchange for salvation.

This is so sad.

First you life run by a cult, now your life run by a cult AND by alcohol. They are both lying to you.

You are not trapped. it's your life.

It's YOUR LIFE.

You KNOW the nagging voice in the back of your head about your everlasting destruction is just your indoctrination speaking (and boy, were you indocrinated!) You know that voice is not the truth, you know it is not what YOU believe.

I choose to live the last remaining days knowing that I am doomed to everlasting destruction, but my last days will be filled with drunken semi-happiness

alcoholics are not happy, or even semi-happy. You've already got a cult lying to you, and alcohol lying to you...and now you lying to you.

drinking is just another path to being a slave. You're never going to be able to climb out of the fog of the lies you were indocrtinated with if you are drunk. You need your BRAIN to be fully functioning to recover from the brainwashing.

So get off the cross (and off the drink) and get out there and live YOUR LIFE. Stop letting the Jehovah's Witnesses control you.

Oh, and WELCOME!! Very glad to meet ya.

I have been struggling with depression, suicidal thoughts, and drug and alcohol abuse ever since.

There is help out there. Go get the help you need. Please. You deserve to be able to LIVE YOUR LIFE. (((hugs)))

• Deceived
    Deceived

Oh I feel for you big time. I was raised like that, it was horrible. I got disfellowshipped and I too felt frightened and worried that Armageddon was just around the corner.

I went a bit crazy and lived it up a lot for awhile. That was in the 60's but it didn't take away the fear so finally I just decided to live my life like the normal world. Armageddon is still not here over 40 years later and if I had just given up and drank myself to death I would have wasted my life.

Don't let them get their way, they are a cult and they lied to you. You need to do some more research to really prove to yourself its not the truth and then get on with your life. You might need help but its worth it. I had the nagging fear until 7 years ago when I discovered these online exjw forums with all the info to help me know that it was not the truth. That took away all my FEAR.

• wasblind
    wasblind

" Well after all this, you might think i would have become a happily functioning Jehovah's witness today."

Not me baby , wit a life like that, crazy is what I have come to expect

Like I said before, to much of " ANYTHING " ain't good for ya

balance is important in all things

What do they called folks who ain't balanced?????? crazy as hell

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I agree you need to get some professional help for yourself. Some therapy has worked wonders for so many. Why not give it a go? You won't find peace and contentment at the bottom of a bottle although many of us have been low enough at some point to try it. Time to get a grip now for your own sanity.

Loz x

• Greybeard
    Greybeard

FaithfulBrother,

I understand what you are going through. I was raised a JW and I am a recovering alcoholic. Honestly, if alcohol still worked, I would still be drinking. The truth is, alcohol works great for a while and then turns on you. It could turn on you soon in life or latter depending on how you abuse it. If you do not abuse it, it might not turn on you. I abused it and it turned on my big time. I lost everything, you name it, wife, kids, dignity and I still tried to drink my problems away. Then I started going to Alcoholics Anonymous and things got better. This all takes time. My advice to you is try going to AA. You will learn that JW's are not so different than other religions like Catholics, Mormans and the list goes on. They all try to control people and abuse them along the way. Learning that I wasn't so different at AA really helped me to focus on my real problems. Don't discount AA until you try it. It will save you money too. It is all free and there are some great people there including doctors and phycologists. Yes they pass the plate but you don't have to put anything in it. It is only for the rent and utility bills. I have recieved much FREE help from AA and found some real good friends who understand.

If you abuse alcohol, it will kill you... it will land you in jail or maybe even prison. I had to stop drinking because I would break out in hand cuffs. That should be reason enough shouldn't it? AA does say we need to believe in a "higher power" and YOU can choose who that is. A God of your own understanding or the AA group can be your higher power. We admit that our own way of running things didn't work.

You are on a new journey. Take life one day at a time and find some new friends who care about you. For me, AA is that place.

Alcohol can be apart of your life if you can control it. I couldn't, I always wanted more, more... It controled me and became my God. If that is the case with you, you need to learn as much about alcoholism as you can. For me, the best place for that is AA. I say use what works for you. Try to get out of yourself and into helping others if at all possible. You need to loose the "Fuck You" atitude because you are only hurting youself with that atitude. Our resentemnts are what kill us. Resenment is a poison we take hoping someone else dies. I have had plenty of them, I resent JW's and the way I was raised. I resent my fathers business dealing with me etc, etc, etc... sometimes just dealing with everyday life is a chalenge. It is worse when we isolate ourselves with the bottle. Walk your path the way you see fit... Just remember, AA is a OPEN DOOR that will always be open for you. It is full of people who have had their ass kicked by life and turned to the bottle. They all share their experience strength and hope. That is where I get what I need and where I go to help others.

May God bless you and help you find your way through this life,

Greybeard

• sir82
    sir82

You have suffered horrific child abuse. You need to get to a counselor pronto.

• DFd3
    DFd3

Wow! Sounds like you're dealing (or trying to deal) with some troubling issues. I can relate in part to your experiences. I was raised a JW from birth. My dad and mom were both very staunch and rigid thinking JWs. Both were Special Pioneers and "served where the need is greater" for years. Because my dad was often the presiding overseer/elder in whatever congregation we were at, I was held to very high standards. I too did all the studying, meetings, service, ministry school parts, etc. etc. etc. When I finally left for the THIRD time, I turned to drugs with the thinking that if I'm going to die soon anyway (Armeggedon's coming, ya know) I would die on my OWN terms and go out in a flame of glory. After YEARS of wasting my life on drugs (albeit having a great time doing so), I finally came to my senses and got clean. I guess what I'm trying to say here is, yes, I understand your feelings of hopelessness but drowning your sorrows won't help. I too still hold on to strong beliefs of the WTBTC, but I've chosen to put my life (and forgiveness) in Jah's hands. HE ALONE is the reader of hearts and I feel confident he will remember me and my past struggles when the time comes. The best thing you can do is live your life the best you can NOW!

Hang on to who you are in your heart! Learn to foregive those who have hurt you, and move forward with your new life. BE GOOD TO YOURSELF!

• sd-7
    sd-7

Well, I never suffered from substance abuse, but JW training caused me to go through a similar vicious cycle with my sexual feelings (depressed because I can't stop giving in, then wondering what's the point? I'm not good enough anyway, might as well feel good just one more time before I die. Am I in the neighborhood of your thoughts here?). I guess that was kind of like the alcohol for me, just I didn't go out and sleep with a bunch of people. So you could say I kind of understand. Either way, I'm not here to judge you about what you've said by way of introduction. At least you had the stones to really let loose with the words here, and I appreciate your honesty and openness on your situation.

People are always eager to tell you to get off your butt and do [fill in the blank], but when you're depressed, it's not that you can't do it, it's that you feel so terrible that you can't even WANT to change. It's a burden just to handle day-to-day life. And it's so easy to turn to whatever feels good to escape. I think movies and books also proved to be my personal escape. And that's what you've felt that you've needed, to escape from reality. Because drinking alters reality for you and takes you away--for a time. But you wake up and the pain is still there, waiting right where you left it.

But the thing about this is, yes, it hurts like hell to know that that was your childhood. That you were subjected to a complete isolation and absolute and utter emotional abuse and control. It is horrible, and you need to give yourself permission to grieve over that. To feel like a human being, to actually feel again. Because that was stolen from you. Nothing fully erases that, believe me, I know. I still haven't figured out all that was done to me on an emotional level as a child and as a teenager.

But that's why you need to understand what was done to you and why it was done. It's not because everybody involved was pure evil. But they were subjected to very subtle and powerful persuasion and in turn used those same methods to "train" you. When you understand their methods, and you understand that it's not real, that you're not doomed to destruction, that salvation, be it a religious sort or a literal sort, is still possible for you, it changes everything.

I spent years in therapy, and I didn't really know it at the time, but my mind was working through things I didn't even know were going on inside me until my therapist helped me explore them. So that can be one option for you. You also need support from people you can really trust, who will back you up no matter what you believe or who you are, who will be there because you are you and you are special and unique as a human being.

But in the end, you have to find a way to bury what's been done to you. It will resurface again and again and again, but when you understand why, you are that much stronger. I find that old pain rising every day, but I'm able to bury those evils again and again because I learned it was all a fraud, designed to control and manipulate the innocent and unsuspecting. Once you remove the dark shadow of the Watchtower's authority, it is truly like the clouds part and you can see the sun again. It hurts to face it, and it's nothing one should try to face alone. In fact, it's dangerous to even try it alone. You have to be able to cry and scream and hurt in order to get past this.

But you also have to be ready to fight as well. Because what you'll be fighting for will be your freedom. Your mind is still in chains, and your best shot at surviving this is to start breaking those chains. This can be a long process, but freedom of mind is the single most glorious thing I have experienced in my nearly 30 years on this earth. Nothing compares to it. Once you've tasted it, once you understand its power, your whole outlook on life will change.

Don't worry too much about tomorrow and the road ahead. When you're hurting a great deal, today is all you can handle. So today, maybe you can start unveiling the man behind the Watchtower curtain. Once you do that, you'll realize it's not half as serious as you thought--who knows, maybe years from now you'll be able to laugh at it all, as I do now from time to time.

You can't let them win, man. If you destroy yourself, you have only given them what they wanted--the sick satisfaction of knowing you couldn't endure without their so-called guiding hands to lead you like a child. They don't deserve that satisfaction. You don't have to prove anything to your abusers, granted. But you owe it to yourself to get the rest of the freedom I am sure you set out to achieve.

--sd-7

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit