Atheism

by avatar 837 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Please go back and read, I didn't ask you if you cringe at your own opinions.

• Twitch
    Twitch
    Haven't you ever been away from the forum and cringed at how opinionated we can all be? And then it hits you how it's like residual jw behavior traits.

No, can't say I have. And though such traits are easily attributed to the jw experience, they are by no means exclusive to it.

I normalize this with opinionated (and more often than not, ignorant) people I've known in my life, the majority being outside the jw world. Most people don't take well to having their core values and beliefs challenged, never mind overturned as is typically the case of the xjw. Besides, everything I see here, I've seen outside in varying degrees for different reasons.

I guess I expect strong opinion here; after all, it goes with the territory. No biggee.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

New Chapter, you can be guilty of treating Dawkins like he's infallible. He isn't. And do realize that your summation is a paraphrase and not my words.

I'm guilty of so much tonight! LOL Dawkins is human, and I don't always agree with his approach, but I usually understand it and defend it even if I would choose a different approach. But you know me so much better than I do---all these insights on my inner workings and such---my continued entrapment to WT ways. It quite remarkable.

And for the record---as a JW, I was not nearly as confident, and would not have entered into half the debates I do now. But you know best. And don't be mistaken, coming to an exJW board, and accusing someone of still being under WT influence when you don't agree with them, IS a cheap shot.

And yes, our conversation was paraphrased----where was I inaccurate?

NC

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

New, think of how JW's discuss their beliefs with unbelievers.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I'm too tired to fight tonight. The bitch is gonna sit in the corner over there----> and watch.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

It's pointless anyway, Mrs. Jones. It's good to know you're here.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

No NC, you're just traumatized by your JW experience, one day you will get over it and see the light

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Please go back and read, I didn't ask you if you cringe at your own opinions.

I will repeat. I know what you said---but I don't differentiate between being opinionated, and holding strongly to an opinion. Because this is most often a charge leveled against someone that disagrees with one, and will not waiver in their opinion. I am disregarding the opinionated label, and getting to the crux of the matter. Do I regret holding an opinion, and holding it strongly? No.

Do I regret being opinionated? Well that would be playing into your label. It would be some admission of something negative so that it perpetuates the idea that I am opinionated, and that it is a bad thing.

If you agree with me, then I express my opinions well and strongly.

If you disagree with me, then I am opinionated.

So the base is my opinions and how strongly I hold them. I do not regret how strongly I hold my opinions. I do not regret expressing, supporting or debating them.

NC

• still thinking
    still thinking
    Palm - yes, once the PA is identified, they are to be studiously avoided.

That is very good advice tal...I am going to try to remember that....

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

What's a PA?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit