Lots of JWs out at tables this morning!

by AuntBee 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AuntBee
    AuntBee

Sorry, before 6 am, forgot to switch to CHrome.

THanks for letting me share, and the kind comments. -- Several asked about tables. Yes, it's like Breakfast said, they bring their own tables, and spread out the literature, and speak to anyone who comes up. Often they are in a park, or in front of a library or store. It's pretty common here in Tucson, where the weather is usually sunny. It seems that it's often the very elderly ones or those with physical problems doing tables.

YES! How ironic to deprecate witnessing that is not "door to door" while sitting at a table. That escaped me until you guys pointed it out.

Fernando - Those articles sound really interesting, never heard of them before. I will look them up, thanks!

Designs - come to Tucson, and we'll go for Mexican! yum.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

When I was still in I saw one of these tables set up at the San Diego airport. I was with a work associate and I wanted to impress him on how JWs are united...so I stopped by the table and the sisters greated me warmly, as always. They told me they weren't allowed to approach anyone and only spoke to those who came to them at the table. I guess they were happy to finally have someone to talk to...even if I was a JW from Canada.

I was also approached by JWs at the Incheon airport in Seoul, South Korea. Two witnesses who spoke very little English saw me working on my computer while waiting for my airline counter to open so I could check-in. They asked where I was from and offered a tract in English. I opened my wallet and showed them my medical advice card (card I no longer carry). So they stuck around telling me about their life a JWs in South Korea.

I learned a while back that my 79 year old mother who is a long time pioneer has been doing "table" work at her local airport...I guess it is easier than walking all day going door to door.

• moshe
    moshe

Heard of it, but I've never seen the do that before- what a big waste of time for JWs.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

So, are the JWs doing regular street witnessing not counting that as service, either? What twits.

• cofty
    cofty

Well done AuntBee, I wish they would do this sort of work over here in the UK. I am sure it will backfire as it gives us the option of approaching them for a conversation in a public place.

That would have been really funny if you could have filmed them tearing up your magazine, it would have been a hit on YouTube.

• sherah
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I am sure it will backfire as it gives us the option of approaching them for a conversation in a public place.

Interesting point, cofty!

At your door they can "shake the dust off their feet" and leave. At a public table, they'd have to pack up their table and haul off or remain in a "debate" (hopefully with interested onlookers). At their door, most of the unsuspecting public is unprepared to take on a JW. At the tables, they're likely to meet a lot more "prepared" guests.

Doc

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Good going Aunt Bee.

Like one previous poster said, this sort of 'witnessing' could backfire on the JWs, especially since they are 'captive audiences' and cannot just leave their tables.

So, if someone like yourself walks up and engages them in conversation, they have to 'stand and fight' so to speak.

When they run out of answers, they will then resort to yelling, which these ladies did.

I wish that I was there to see it. I'm not sure that I could approach JWs with any intelligent discussion. Certainly not like you did.

Regards,

Jim TX

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

AuntBee: She went completely ballistic, and took the paper with my info, held it up in front of my face, tearing it up. CONVERSATION OVER! As i left, she called out that i will die soon, but she'll pray for Jehovah for me. Yikes, i think a few people walking by heard her!

Cofty: That would have been really funny if you could have filmed them tearing up your magazine, it would have been a hit on YouTube.

Excellent, Cofty. These days many folks have cell phones with them at all times and most of them have video (along with audio) capability. You can easily delete the file later but you never know when you're going to run across something priceless -- like AuntBee's moment.

Len

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

I mentioned that i was out preaching, contrary to what they say that no one else preaches, but she said it didn't count because it's not door to door. !!

(and don't scold me for being a Protestant, or i'll never come back. pfff. LOL)

If they are sitting and hawking books at tables, that isn't door-to-door preaching, so it does't count either and they are wasteing their time. I could be wrong, but the Bible never states that the early Christians went dtd

and counted their time or placed any scrolls and made back-calls.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit