What is your favorite Restaurant in New York City?

by Iamallcool 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Junior's is awesome! Best cheesecake in the world. Best deli-Second Avenue, IMO. Formal teas- Pierre Hotel, Plaza Hotel. Slavic restaurants in East Village. 2nd Ave has a strip. Greenwich Village - Elephant & Castle on Greenwich Avenue, Pete's Tavern, Waverly Inn. Bars - Oak room at the Plaza, Carlyle Hotel bar, 30 Rock - can't think of name right now. Will recall.

Lincoln Center area has great restaurants.

Basically, the idea is to do ethnic and where NY residents would eat. SoHo also has awesome restaurants. The New York Times and NY mag have decent reviews.

It is restaurant heaven. Junior's Cheesecake is way up there. the 2nd Avenue deli's corned beef and pastrami sandwiches are unbelievable. The mushroom barley soup and chicken noodle soup are art forms.

I like the main restaurant at the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Museum of Modern Art. The cafeterias stink.

Olives, just north of 14th St., has great food and a bar. Pricey but worth every penny. Great European and resident crowd.

Asti's in Greenwich Village. The waiters sing opera to the customers. Food is mediocre but it is the show.

Restaurants open and close quickly. Word of mouth is good.

Balducci's, Dean and DeLuca, and Zabar's have great food.

Barney's Restaurant had a fantastic restaurant.

Sidewalk vendors can have good food.

Windows on the World had fantastic food and what a sight. It was my favorite.

Elaine's closed.

I would stick with local paper reviews. It changes all the time. A lot of people like the Korean grocers for food. The grocery stores tend to stink. I lived in Greenwich Village. People shopped European style, buying bread from the bread baker, coffee from the coffee shop, etc. I only bought cereal and milk from a grocer. An exception is the A & P on 14th st. You need subsidized rent for a decent grocer.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I loved Tad's growing up. The big steak house people rave about is Peter Luger's in Brooklyn. Pricey but worth every penny according to numerous reports. Chinatown has tons of inexpensive noodle shops.

Don't eat in McDonald's or Dunkin' Donuts.

John's in the East Village is legendary for Italian. I thought it was good, not great.

I found transitional neighborhoods and ethnic neighborhoods were the best places to eat.

• Dagney
    Dagney

@ James: I don't remember, sorry. I would typically get something like a specialty, no cheeseburger, lol. I have pics of us, looking very 80's, lol. What I remember was it was fancy, elegant.

I loved Windows of the World :( also. Very good memories eating sushi and dancing to a jazz combo, with the "Read God's Word the Bible Daily" sign glowing below. Lol. We went to the Rainbow Room as well.

The last time we went was in 2005 and stayed by Rockafeller center and ate all around there including middle eastern from a cart about 2am. I think the food is good anywhere there. I do remember my first maine lobster in oyster bay, don't think I've had better lobster since.

There are such high end eateries there now I'd love to try but I'd have to win the lottery first.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The Oyster Bar in Grand Central. All the eateries in Grand Central are nice.

Balthazar's is supposed to be superb.

I would ask people who look like residents. When my local church group had a trip to NYC, I prepared a special list of restaurants. They all were happy at Wendy's. I give up.

• DNCall
    DNCall

Marchi, 251 E 31st St. No menu, same 6 courses every time. Why mess with perfection.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

The Oyster Bar in Grand Central.

This place is incrediblel if you're into oysters/raw bar. Long Island oysters and a couple bottles of Sancerre. . . Mmmmmmm. . .

• ctrwtf
  • Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Whenever I'm in NYC, (twice a year, on average), I always seem to end up at Employees Only. Great food. Better cocktails.

• brooklynNY
    brooklynNY

Haven't posted in a while. Love Junior's , I live up the block from there. Went to Tavern on the Green about ten years ago, a bit over price and over rated if you ask me. Also they closed about 2 years ago.

I love the Oyster Bar, I'm a regular at the saloon there, I try to catch a quick drink or two be for I catch he train home from work. However, their are a ton of new restaurants in my area in Brooklyn (Clinton Hill/ Fort Green). I love Maggie Brown's, Luz and Chez Lola, good food and reasonable prices.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

If you're in Brooklyn and you love chocolate, check out The Chocolate Room in the Cobble Hill section. Amazing Spiced Hot Chocolate!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit