Jehovah, the God of Parking Lots

by 00DAD 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 00DAD
    00DAD

This idea was brought up on another thread today, but I thought this particular angle deserved it's own thread.

Have you ever noticed that JWs that have completely swallowed the kool-aid are really whacked in their thinking when it comes to interpreting life's events. No matter how things turn out, good or bad, they always--and I mean ALWAYS--spin it to confirm the belief that Jehovah is blessing THEM and not unbelievers.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Food for thought: There are no atheists in foxholes, or so we're told. But we'll never know if the soldiers blown to bits were praying to their God at the very moment their body exploded.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

I knew a really annoying "Brother" that was always going on and on telling everyone how much God was blessing him in this or that. Now don't get me wrong, I think people should be appreciative, but he was always saying stupid stuff like, "Jehovah really blessed me today." but it was always about really trivial stuff and not ever about anything really important. Now mind you, this guy was an elder and regular pioneer, very respected in the circuit as well as in the congregation. He was a highly sought after speaker in congregations all over Southern California and frequently was featured on Circuit Assemblies and District Conventions. Nevertheless, he often fell victim to this fallacious way of thinking about God's alleged involvement in his mundane affairs of life that is sadly ubiquitous among JWs.

For example, when he'd tell me about his latest "proof" of God's blessing I'd ask, "How so?"

Brother Blessed (BB) might say something like, "Well when I went to the Post Office this morning, I got a parking space right away even though the lot was full!"

Me, "So Jehovah is the God of Parking Lots?"

BB, "Whaddya' mean? Are you making fun of me?"

Me, "Well, it sounds like you're saying that the Creator of the Entire Universe thought it was important enough to drop everything else He was doing and just focus on making sure that YOU found a place to park so YOU could mail your mail."

BB, "That's right."

Me, "And all those other people that didn't find a parking place, God's NOT blessing them. Is that right?"

BB, "Yes, that's right."

Me, "And why is that?"

BB, "Because I'm serving Jehovah and they're not."

Me, "And you know this how?"

BB, "Because I got the parking place and they didn't."

Me, "That's your proof?"

BB, "Yes."

Me, "This mail, was it something 'theocratic' or just ordinary correspondence?"

BB, "It was just me paying my bills is all."

Me, "Then what makes you think Jehovah would bless that?"

BB, "I know because he did. I got the parking spot and everyone else was just circling around with no where to park."

Me, "I see ... I think. So WHY would Jehovah bless YOU and not the other people in the parking lot, especially considering the letters you had to mail were not of any spiritual importance?"

BB, "Because I'm pioneering and needed to get out in service afterwards. Also, I have a Service Meeting part tonight I need to get home and prepare."

Me, "Oh-kay ... So all that pioneering and meeting attendance is just so you can get good parking places?"

BB, "No, them's just the perks."

Me, "So God will 'bless' you when it comes to parking even though you can't speak English properly, but that's OK because you spend 90 hours a months walking up and down Ventura Boulevard in a suit being ignored by the few people that are, for-whatever-reason, also walking down the street, but going the opposite direction."

BB, "Exactly! Now you're getting it."

Me, "What about your wife leaving you? I mean that was really tragic for you wasn't it?"

BB, "Yes it was. You know, she broke my heart! Why are you bringing that up? That really hurts!"

Me, "I know it does and I'm sorry. But where was Jehovah's blessing there? Wouldn't you rather have a faithful wife than a good parking space at the post office?"

BB, "Why are you saying this? You're making me mad. I don't like where this conversation is going ...."

Me, "No, I'm sure you don't and come to think of it neither do I!"

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Ive had arguments with nonWitnesses about this stuff. The gospel of prosperity does not seem to be in my Bible. Maybe I have a defective copy. I think of abused children, famine victims, all the Holocausts, 9/11 -Job. Why would God help me get a good buy on toilet tissue but others live the most horrid lives. Jehover is like that but Jesus is not.

I try to explain my point in a level voice but, often, I end up shouting. It deeply triggers me.

It reminds me of people who have near-death experiences or John Edwards and Sylvia Browne: You had access to almighty God. Why does the universe exist? Why does God permit suffering? Why do the Yankees sometimes lose? Their answers are so mundane. They never get good stock tips, either or info to patent a cure for cancer. No insight to wars and aggression. Fluff stuff.

I have yet to convince anyone. Joyce Meyers can drive me out of my mind. Jesus is easy and very hard. He is not only groovy. HIs apocalyptic sayings and some of his commandments are very, very hard. I would not want such a sappy God who worries about parking spots or coupons.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I know I get frustrated with those types of Witnesses too. I remember having a conversation like that with an older MS. He says he prays to Jehovah to help him find lost items. It's a shame we have to wait until the "new system" for starving children to be well fed and people dying of cancer to be cured. But,we just pray and find lost car keys and get the perfect parking spot,makes sense.

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

I love how Jayhoover's approval is only evident in the receival of small-fry blessings such as parking spaces, sales, punctuality, good hair days, getting the last ____ on the shelf, weather and so on, but when it comes to the big stuff he's silent and so are they.

It's just such idiotic circular reasoning.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Those kind of JWs creep out the "regular" JWs.

I had one of those types tell me one time Jah had granted her young son an incredible blessing earlier that day.

"Really, what happened?" I replied, secretly not wanting to know.

"He placed four sets of magazines this morning!" she replied.

Ugggghhhhhhhhhhh

• moshe
    moshe
    "He placed four sets of magazines this morning!"

Little did they know, but that the next day was recycling pickup in the neigborhood-

• still thinking
  • baltar447
    baltar447

Sounds like my mother in law: "Jehovah helped me find my car keys!"

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Kinda like when people are in life-threatening accidents. EMTs & surgeons work on them for hours, saving their lives. When they come to, they thank God for saving their lives. Credit should go to the doctors & EMTs, dontcha think?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Yes! I never thought of the medical professionals myself, though. So true. It isn't only medical profs. The whole infrastrucutre of roads and highways for an ambulance to ride on, the invention of motor vehicles, etc.

Maybe I am just annoyed b/c I prayed so hard and sincerely and no relief from a serious illness. They know what I went through and yet they glibly say how God arranged an eHarmony telephone call.

Some people told me to praise God for my illness. Those people heard screeches. Why are they so important to God? Anne Frank was chicken liver?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit