Anyone going to the KH Sunday to comment on the domestic violence paragraph?

by serenitynow! 48 Replies latest jw friends

• james_woods
    james_woods

This may very well be the most stupid (and un-intentionally self destructive) thing that the Watchtower has published since that incredible Awake magazine with the pictures of kids who were killed by the idiotic blood policy.

Kill your kids, beat your women.

Not too different from radical Islam, when you think about it.

• strymeckirules
    strymeckirules

i second that the commenter for that paragraph will be pre arranged and most likely be given by an elders wife.

if they do not take this step, chaos will ensue.

everyone that had to pre study that article today probably read it for the first time, because nobody prereads magazines but us apostates.

so it should have some fresh anger attached to it.

i'd love to be a fly on the wall during that paragraph.

even the reader will feel awkward at reading that out loud. i wanna see everyones body language and physical response went it happens.

it just might pop on a few lightbulbs in the audience. especially if NOTHING happens.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Strymeck now I really want to go tomorrow.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I posted this on another thread,but my mother told me I was taking that paragraph out of context. That we wouldn't encourage someone to leave their husband for hitting them one time. I didn't realize how mind controlled she is,until now. It's going to go over their heads,people.

If I was still in,I probably wouldn't even notice either. I kind of numbed my brain for meetings and just sat there and daydreamed. That's probably how I managed to stay a Witness so long.

• blondie
    blondie

So how many times would your mom let someone hit her before she called the police?

Actually she shares the misguided thoughts non-jws have about abuse. That somewhere there is a rule, one hit, stay around to get hit again. The article also blames that woman for being hit because she spoke wrongly.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

blondie- I had asked her what advice she would give a progressive Bible student in this case. But,I wonder if it was her daughter,me,being hit by my husband,I doubt her first response would be to read Corinthians.

• Alfred
    Alfred

Any husband that hits once, is bound to hit many more times... Anyone who assumes that Steve only hit Selma one time is incredibly naive...

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

once a hitter.......

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

If a man hits a woman once, he's all the more likely to do it again.

Please can I draw everyone's attention one more time to the link in my post on the first page of this thread, to the story on the main UK news earlier this month?

That young mother lost both her eyes because she did exactly that, exactly what the article is advising women to do through the Selma story. Treat the abuser lovingly and try even harder.

This article should be sent to all domestic abuse organisations.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Oh, my born-in mother took it infinite times. She was such an ideal mother but she was an enabler. I have the most awful stories involving close calls of incest, brother being dangled over a cliff, being thrown down stairs in a body cast. This is the most personal issue of my life. Granted, my JW uncle was a gentle and kind as anyone.

He died from heart disease (my bro and I sought weapons from high school to defend ourselves). She was about 45. People noticed the total transformation in her within a few months. She looked people in the eye. As she interacted with world, she became so social and outgoing. Yet she was utterly convinced she had no options and if her children die, just cry. She refused to apologize me when I was 18 b/c she claimed she had no choice. I was in a rage and confused. Shortly before she died, she sincerely apologized to me. It was a moot point. She did the best she could. I had better circumstances than she did. She kept saying how unnecessary the abuse was. She was ashamed that she ever believed she had no power.

Perhaps not where I lived but many conservative Chrisitians still believe in a man's headship. They don't dwell on it as much as the Witnesses do. An article about male authority from scriptures is one thing. St. Paul certainly wrote those very unfortunate statements. The story, though, takes it to a different level. If more men were beat to a pulp, if women had the same body strength as men, men might change their tune.

What always puzzled me is why the male authority. Women can't enjoy beatings and it must interfere with sexual desire so the man truly loses in the long run. Male supremacy may seem nice to men on the surface but I don't see where it works after that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit