Anyone going to the KH Sunday to comment on the domestic violence paragraph?

by serenitynow! 48 Replies latest jw friends

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

They are doing that article about sister Selma getting the crap beat out of her to win her husband over to being a JW. Any suggestions as to the comment I should make? I was thinking about bringing up the old awake on domestic violence and ask if there has been new light and that women should stay with their abusers.

• agonus
    agonus

Perhaps a brief comment on the lack of Scriptural precedent for a battered wife being compelled to remain with an abusive husband (or call the authorities).

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Gotta sort of keep it on the downlow. Something like:

"Many JWs experience problems because we are living in the last days. Financial pressures or health problems might be affecting us. But we shouldn't complain after reading experiences like this. Some have to endure physical beatings at the hands of their spouse, yet they remain faithful to Jehovah. So if we are having trouble with something in our life, we can remember those in physically abusive relationships and realize we might not have it so bad"

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

Sooo wish I could go and say, "If you stay with anyone who beats the shit out of you you're a retard and anyone who tells you to stay should GO TO JAIL".

Then throw the microphone on the floor and shout, "PEACE OUT WIFE BEATERS!"

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Disillusioned Lost=Lamb,

I would join you. The comments shocked me and I was born-in. Growing up was agony b/c my father took his supremacy so literally and fervently. If you teach a literal interpretation of Paul, with no respect for how culture has changed, you should tread carefully.

Does anyone think that active Witnesses, sincere ones, raised the issue through back channels?

I would love to spit on the brother who actually wrote it but I know that people with AIDS were charged with severe crimes for spitting.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

how about someone taping a few priceless comments from the dubs

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I would give the gist of the experience from the paragraph. But,then add,in this situation her husband became a believer after many years of being abusive towards his wife. Evidently,he is working on putting on the "new personality". But,that being the case,we still have to be careful as to what advice we give someone in a similiar situation ,because we hear of too many cases where an abused woman ends up in the hospital or worse.

I don't think that comment would raise any red,apostate flags. And some women in the audience would be thinking of the same comment. I'm hoping some responsible conductors point that out.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Why not play devil's advocate (with exaggerated support of a preposterous idea)? Afterall being beaten up can be good for you, no?

Biometrics said:

"I think I'll go to the meeting this w/e and answer up:-

A loving christian wife may be able to sway her unbeleving mate by consitent good example. Even if this means she suffers years of physical abuse in an unloving environment. We can thank the slave for this timely advice. This is another example of how we are 'no part of this world' as worldy women would contact police and start divorce proceedings."

Fernando said:

"Love it! I dare you - I have a gut feel at least one woman will secretly react to that slap and start waking up. As for the rest maybe some of their husbands will slap sense into them...

Of course I'm ranting against the Pharisees' kingdom and not the women trapped in it."

Thread: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/225008/1/This-Weeks-Watchtower-Lesson-Approaching-your-spouse

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

I like wha happened's idea

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

If the WT conductor does not call you, you can still record other dubs comments.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit