Anyone going to the KH Sunday to comment on the domestic violence paragraph?

by serenitynow! 48 Replies latest jw friends

• moshe
    moshe

It has been over 20 years since I sat in on a WackTower study- I was working out of state this past month and a KH was just down the road and guess what? I had no interest in enlightening them. I think my retirement from JW activism is finally going to work.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

could someone please scan the paragraphs in, or be so kind as to type them?

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Snare and racket: Paragraph 10 is about the "inspired counsel" Peter suplied for Christian l;iving. It ends:

"...Likewise a believing husband should conduct himself in a godly way and be a loving head of the household despite any opposition he may encounter from his unelieving wife.-1Peter 3:7-9.

Many modern-day examples illustrate the value of applying Peter's counsel. Consider the case of Selma. When she baegan to study the Bible with Jehovah's Witnesses, her husband, Steve, was not pleased. He admits, "I became angry, jealous, possessive, and insecure." Selma observes: "Even before I got the truth, living with Steve was like walking on eggshells. He was hot-tempered. When I started studying the Bible, this characteristic intensified." What helped?

Selma recalls a lesson she learned from the Witness who studied with her. "On one particular day," says Selma, I didn't want to have a Bible study. The night before, Steve had hit me as I had tried to prove a point, and I was feeling sad and sorry for myself. After I told the sister what had happened and how I felt, she asked me to read 1 Corinthians 13:4-7. As I did, I began to reason, "Steve never does any of these loving things for me." But the sister made me think differently by asking "How many of those acts of love do you show Steve?" My answer was "None, for he is so difficult to live with." The sister softly said "Selma, who is trying to be a Christian here? You or Steve?" Realizing that I needed to adjust my thinking, I prayed to Jehovah to help me be more loving towards Steve. Slowly, things started to change." After 17 years, Steve accepted the truth."

So, we see that the blame for Selma being hit lies squarely with her. She needed to adjust her thinking. She only had herself to blame.

How disgusting!

• blond-moment
  • Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

Do you think they will allow anyone to comment on this paragraph, or just prearranged a few select members to make comments that stick to the paragraph and quickly move on?

• flipper
    flipper

I haven't been to a meeting in over 8 years- but I'm tempted to go and wear my sunglasses and my long black wig and make this comment, " we see from this that if a sister gets beaten from her unbelieving husband she should just endure it as THAT is what Jehovah wants ! She should NOT feel sorry for herself because her being beaten is glorifying Jehovah's name ! " Then I'd hand the microphone back , stand up in the aisle take a bow, then walk out of the kingdom hall making a spectacle so the brain sterile Witnesses will notice

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I have not been to a meeting since 1968 but I am very tempted to go and say something. My rage and personal experience troubles me. I am so energized for a fight. I'm not use to such anger. Frankly, I am afraid of what else I might do. I don't want to lose my license or go through a long process if they call the police.

Also, knowing the Witness mind set and total lack of any true questions during WT study, my actions might lead them to believe that violence towards women is more justified. Silence, though, is affirming a very dangerous belief. I hope I would challenge Nazis. Without being too dramatic, this stuff hits my very essence. My personality wants a protest. Maybe civil disobedience.

Something visually striking-sort of like wire hangers at a pro-choice rally. I truly fear they will call the police. If there is one cause that could ignite me, this is it.

It would have been nice to organize a national protest. I would write a letter to the editor of the local papers but they won't print it. Maybe women could protest with signs and make up their faces to show symbolic bruises. Too late no w.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

nice Dream, they may indeed do that. The great thing about being a rebel apostate is that their procedures don't mean anything to me. They don't call on me to answer paragraph 6, that's fine I'll raise my hand a few more times and when i get called on, I'll say, "going back to paragraph 6..." I learned that from a study who was a bit wacko. Band on the run- Do it! Go give your comment! Now that i think about it, maybe i should give grandma's experience.

• DT
    DT

I hate to see this craziness on Sunday go by without more of a protest. I appreciate that there has been a commendable effort to inform the media and groups concerned with the treatment of women. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be as concerned about this as we are.

I think there is still great potential to record these meetings wherever possible and consolidate real comments into videos for YouTube. It may be that this could trigger a greater reaction than the article itself.

Can anybody clarify the legality of doing this? I believe that these are considered public meetings so there wouldn't be an expectation of privacy, even in states that normally require consent from those who are recorded.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Domestic violence... some women will justify what their husband is doing to them. The fact that the WT is not encouraging its members to put an end to that situation is disgusting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit