Can the Watchtower Society survive without time reports?

by DT 37 Replies latest jw friends

• DT
    DT

There has already been much discussion about how the Watchtower Society has declared in Australia that going door to door is part of a personal ministry. This seems to be a lame attempt to avoid liability considering that they require time reports and have formal meetings for field service at the kingdom hall.

This is a bit of a dilemma. Reporting time and formal meetings for field service are important methods of control, however it's not clear if the organization is willing or able to handle the potential liability that may come from this.

Imagine what would happen if they lost these methods of control. Witnesses could take breaks from the ministry without consequences. The hounders would find it difficult to decide who to hound. The traveling overseers wouldn't have data to help them decide how a congregation is doing. It would be much easier to fade. Their recruitment efforts would likely be reduced to a small fraction of what it is today. They might have to consider changing their disfellowshipping policy to reduce their turnover rate to compensate for slower growth.

They might not even be able to survive in their present form.

This may be like an Achilles' heel that those who are still in for family may be able to exploit. Reporting time for not going in the ministry (or for discussing Bible topics online) or not reporting time while visibly engaged in the formal ministry (perhaps for the benefit of relatives) are great ways to undermine the system. A person could report literature placements, but not hours, based on the idea that the hours are none of their business, but there may be a need to keep track of literature.

Any recordings or documentation of efforts to get a person to report time could be of public interest and useful in the event of lawsuits regarding the organization's liability for the door to door ministry.

Other, more subtle, methods could be used like only reporting hours in multiples of two (two hours per Saturday morning), or only reporting one hour for every month, regardless of the amount of time. If questioned, the example of Ananias and Sapphira could be mentioned to show how God views those who report more than what was given.

A person could only report time when the brother who collects time calls them. This would be a good time to record the conversation.

Someone who has the assignment of handling time reports could stop calling people with reminders with the defense that this could expose him and the organization to liability.

A person could also agree to work with their spouse, but suggest that they don't meet at the hall because it's really supposed to be a personal ministry.

Reporting time is already a joke, but there is much that can be done to make this more obvious.

I look forward to your comments.

• DT
  • baltar447
    baltar447

It's got to be a real pickle for them. On the one hand, they are ramping up the rhetoric and control to a new maximum previously not seen before. On the other, you have the lawsuits potentially forcing BIG change on them. What to do, save money or lose some control. I don't think they will be able to have their cake and eat it too anymore.

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

apparently an all-knowing God needs lowly humans to fill out little slips of paper.

(Isaiah 40:26) 26 “Raise YOUR eyes high up and see. Who has created these things? It is the One who is bringing forth the army of them even by number, all of whom he calls even by name. Due to the abundance of dynamic energy, he also being vigorous in power, not one [of them] is missing.

Praise Rang in the highest.

• undercover
    undercover

Ring, Ring

"Hello"

"Brother Slack? This is Brother Hounder. How are you today?"

"Fine, you?"

"Just fine. Look, we're trying to get the monthly report to the Society filled out and we're short a couple of time reports. Maybe you just forgot to fill yours out and drop it in the box. Could you just give me your report over the phone and we'll fill a slip out for you."

"Well, Brother Hounder, since the letter was read at the hall that our ministry is a personal one and does not represent the Watchtower Society, I don't really see the need to turn in a time report anymore. It's between me and Jehovah what time I spend in the ministry."

"Um, well, see, I'm not..., well, that's not how we do things, okay? The Organization is called that because it is organized. In order to remain organized...and to improve how we preach the Good News, we need to know what you're doing. For instance, how many magazines did you place?"

"I just explained...my preaching work is a personal one. I don't represent the Organization. Therefore, I no longer need to use your magazines or books. I preach using God's Word, the Bible. I don't "place" anything. I share the good news of Christ by reading scriptures."

"Now look, Brother... just because that letter was read doesn't mean you can do things your own way...."

"Whoa, hold up there. 'My way?'. This isn't my way. This is the Watchtower's way, per the letter that was read. I don't represent them, so they have no say in how I perform my ministry. So...you look; you don't get a report, got it?"

"Look, you don't understand the situation. They're doing this to protect..."

"I don't need an explanation. I no longer represent the Society. Is that not what the letter said? There is no other way to intrepret such a clear cut statement."

"Okay, okay: Technically, per the instructions from the Society, you do not. But your love for Jehoavh is what motivates you to..."

"I don't need the party line. I no longer represent the Society. There's nothing else to discuss. In essence you have disassociated me from the organization without due cause while not putting sanctions on me. For that I thank you. Good day."

click

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

Here is a condensed version, UC:

Ring, Ring

"Hello"

"Brother Slack? This is Brother Hounder. How are you tod...."

"F#^k you!"

click

• undercover
    undercover

Ah, yes. The Reader's Digest version... LOL

• JWOP
    JWOP

If they were really thinking of self-preservation, they should start phasing out the whole reporting of time and numbers thing. After all, each year their numbers show an INCREASE in Memorial partakers. In fact, between 2005 and 2011 the number increased by 3,300 partakers! (and didn't some of the older ones die during this time as well?)

See this increase in the following publications:

Yearbook of Jehovah's Witnesses :
    2006, p.31 2007, p.31 2008, p.31 2009, p.31 2011, p.51 2012, p.55

This is gonna start raising some eyebrows.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

The number are not on their side, and as the western world slides into decline in the next few years, not having stats would be to their benefit.

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

No, removing time slips would be like taking their whip away, if you do that how else are they going to whip us into shape?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit