Can the Watchtower Society survive without time reports?

by DT 37 Replies latest jw friends

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

Don't be obtuse; "The Society" used to be shorthand for all things related to the WT and JWs. And don't pretend that the local congregations don't do everything they're told to by Bethel.

Changing the way a few "I"s are dotted and how a few "t"s are crossed on legal documents doesn't change the nature of the beast.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Can they survive without time reports? Definitely! Most JDubs will look favorably on no longer having to struggle to get their 10 hours to be "average".

I was kinda surprised because they have always put great emphasis on having that 10 hour average to qualify as a MS or elder, but more recently it looks like they have lowered the requirements to just being capable of fogging a mirror.

What they cannot survive without is MONEY. After cashing in on $1.5 BILLION$ (or more) from the sale of the Brooklyn real estate, I find it hard to believe they are really desperate for ca$h, but they sure sound desperate. While still a JW I was embarrassed by their begging (since they said that would indicate a loss of Holy Spirit), but they sure are groveling constantly now for money. Hard to believe that after the severe downsizing and slashing of their costs (almost no printing; staff size greatly reduced) that their expenses are higher than their receipts (ie, definite "rental fees" of assembly halls and now even guaranteed contributions from every congregation.

There is no transparency. It will take someone in the finance office defecting to know more.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    DesirousOfChange - “…After cashing in on $1.5 BILLION$ (or more) from the sale of the Brooklyn real estate, I find it hard to believe they are really desperate for ca$h, but they sure sound desperate…”

They got around $3B for the Brooklyn sales…

…but apparently, Warwick went crazy-over budget, there’ve been hundreds more pedo payouts that haven’t (and may never) hit the news, and from what I’ve heard, there were some significant outstanding debts specifically tied to the Brooklyn properties they were required by law to square away as part of the terms of the sale.

As a result, it’s all gone, baby, gone.

As to whether they’re “desperate”…

…the way they holler and mobilize their lawyers the moment their tax-exemption looks like it’s approaching the chopping block is all the proof I need.

• LV101
    LV101

Has there ever been a defector or turncoat from the financial arena of WT? The bean counters must get a cut 😂 -- not sure how they maintain privacy and protect/secure the group's secrecy other than execution of confidentiality agreements/clauses thus paying/retaining professional accounting firms. Use the in-house volunteers for basic bookkeeping only.

Professional CPA firms aren't inexpensive - can't imagine their legal/accounting costs.

• Listener
    Listener

Are JWs still assigned to field service groups headed by the one Elder? I understand they didn't get rid of this when the weekly book study groups were stopped.

If they are looking at the legal issues then I would think that they would stop this arrangement as well and possibly just have something like a ten minute service meeting every morning at the Kingdom Hall instead.

• LV101
    LV101
    Vidiot -- WOW -- that's some incredible info! Good news, indeed!
  • NotFormer
    NotFormer

Watch the Tower fall!🎊🎉🎇🎆

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

LV10116 hours agoHas there ever been a defector or turncoat from the financial arena of WT? The bean counters must get a cut 😂 -- not sure how they maintain privacy and protect/secure the group's secrecy other than execution of confidentiality agreements/clauses thus paying/retaining professional accounting firms. Use the in-house volunteers for basic bookkeeping only.

I’m going to respond to this in a mysterious way.

Remember the song’s lyric “it ain’t necessarily so” ?

Presuming a situation exists doesn’t make it true.

My own life experience (“let the reader use discernment”) leads me to express doubt about this proposition

Long-term posters here may understand where I’m coming from.

What we imagine is the situation for Bethelites who’ve served in that area may not be the reality.

Cheers,

Ozzie🍷

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit