leaving your family for jesus

by serein 76 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

and he left for Tarsus to look for Saul, and when he had found him, he bought him to Antioch.............and the disciples were First known as Christians in ANTIOCH!! Acts ch11 v25-6

Um... okay, lol.

I'm not sure why you shared that with me?

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

Paul taught that one was NOT to leave one's spouse... (just as Christ taught that divorce was against God's will... other than for adultery)... Paul specified that if one's unbelieving spouse chose to leave them, then to let them go.

Paul is speaking of an entirely different point in the verse Tootired quoted... he was not advocating people leave their spouses. Though I agree that he seemed to also believe that the end was nigh... though he must later have revised his misunderstanding, because he seemed to e x pect to die before Christ returned.

We do seem them grappling about when the end comes - though Peter also taught that it is delayed out of mercy, for God wants all to come to Him - but Christ taught that no one knows, not even Him. And that it would come at a time when it was not e x pected.

Jesus disciples today are expected to live their lives the same as Jesus disciples did then

Yes, by following the truth. Which Sab's post makes a point of showing how that CAN cause contention and break families up, when some in those families choose to follow a lie.

Peace,

tammy

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

At least keep others' quotes in context Cofty please. Pharisaical Judaism wasn't 'normal', neither was it fair or kind or reasonable for any of the lesser peoples who were burdened down with strictures very often financial. These people were considered to be lowly and poor and beneath the concerns of the Jewish leaders. Jesus led them to a yoke of freedom, to be able to worship God without the legalistic laws and restrictions forced upon them. The fact that we too have experienced such similar oppression from the WTBS and it's leaders in our day should help us to have empathy for these disciples wanting to follow Jesus. This was the beginning of Christianity. And Christianity was/successful. It's men's handling of it with their religions that isn't.

Loz x

• cofty
    cofty
    but Christ taught that no one knows, not even Him. And that it would come at a time when it was not expected

And in the same sermon he said it would come within the lifetime of his generation and that his disciples would not complete a tour of the cities of Israel before he returned.

• cofty
    cofty

At least keep others' quotes in context Cofty please. - Loz

How so?

Cofty when Jesus asked those disciples to follow him and they talked about what they'd left behind, essentially they were leaving their Judaic law and communities. - Loz

This is incorrect.

The fact that we too have experienced such similar oppression from the WTBS and it's leaders in our day should help us to have empathy for these disciples wanting to follow Jesus. - loz

As I said above; People today who leave the borg may lose their family as we know all too well. Jesus by contrast was inviting men to walk out on their wives and children.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care
    Paul is speaking of an entirely different point in the verse Tootired quoted... he was not advocating people leave their spouses.

I never said he did! This quote just shows that following this unsustainable commitment that Jesus wanted of his followers was of far greater importance than having a "normal" family. So what are the side effects of this? I'll let you fill in the blanks.

• cofty
    cofty

tootired2care - Remember that Paul's apocalytic worldview also caused him to advise slaves to remember their place and obey their owners.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care
    though he must later have revised his misunderstanding, because he seemed to expect to die before Christ returned

tec - now that is an interesting thought that I hadn't considered. Do you perhaps know which bible verses speak to that changed view?

• tec
    tec

tootired, I would have to read through his letters, but this is the one I think of first (though I had to google to find the chapter, book and verse):

Galatians 1: 20-25

"I eagerly epect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be ealted in my body whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know!..."

That mostly shows that it did not seem to be an issue for him, if he died first or not.

Also his comment that those we are still alive will not precede those who have fallen asleep. (1Thessalonians 4:15)

This is supposition on my behalf (which is why I said seemed), and while I am pretty sure he revised thinking that he would not die before Christ returned (certainly as he got closer to death), I think, according to most of his writings, that he mostly thought Christ would return in his lifetime.

Peace,

tammy

• mP
    mP

it could be argued that jesus and his disciples were bandits. after all thry did carry swords and many were former militants. we have the story of peter cutting the ear of the slave. how is it that he was carrying a sword in the firsdt place without jesdus the peaceful one not demanding him to throw it away ? we have the same situation with d:avid and his friends wonfering around judea threatening locals and demanding food and drink. and somehow david ended up a hero!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit