leaving your family for jesus

by serein 76 Replies latest jw friends

• serein
    serein

matthew 19:29 says,

Anyone leaving there family home or what ever for him will gain 100 fold,

I asked this question once and the answer was it ment the ones who dont stay with the witnesses,

they are the ones who are left, to follow jesus, but i take it as like when you leave false religion like the jws,as they ignore you and so your leaving them for the right path and not the false one.

what im trying to say is like when i left catholic church they still were my freinds and my family were still talking to me, but when i left jws that was it cut off.

what does it meanin matt 19: 29,does it mean actualy leaving your family or does it mean leaving what they beleive to follow what you beleive,so your family casts you out othere life, or your casting them out of yourswhat does it realy mean.

• TOTH
    TOTH

I always thought that it meant if you dropped your faith to follow Christ then you should not sweat losing your family since you will gain God's family.

• Bella15
    Bella15

Have you read the Context ... read it many times ... and then read it again, you have to being at Matthew 19:16 and see what makes Jesus said those words (started with the rich guy or something like that). Ask God to give you insight into this - to send you the Holy Spirit to teach you.

JWs don't follow Jesus ... the Christ ... they follow a CORPORATION ... they mention Jehovah a lot, but if you read the Bible Christians get to the father THROUGH JESUS ... if you read what the Apostles wrote we have to follow CHRIST ...

My mom and most of my brothers and sisters are JWs and follow the Watchtower CORPORATION... I decided to follow Jesus, The Christ, if they want to shun me because of that they can take it up with my Father in Heaven I am done with them but I am always here for them, Jesus will never leave me, will never forsake me.

I don't think Jesus is advocating breaking families apart, but if it comes to a point when the condition to be with them is to denied JESUS when you know in your heart and Spirit that the Christ has been revealed to you, wow then you are in a big pickle but I believe by personal experience that the Holy Spirit helps you navigate all that ... but mostly only cultish so called "christian" groups will make you leave your family even if they don't oppose you to follow whatever god you want to follow ... JWs will ask you to stop associating with your family and friends even if they don't oppose to your beliefs... they want total control of your being ... so cults are very different and we have to see the difference ...

• mP
    mP

serein

how is jesus going to pay 100x and of what ? if you leave your family is he going to give you a 100x wives/husbands and 100x kids ? or is he going to pay you a dollar for each family member for your service ? that scripture is stupid, it makes no sense if we are talking about ppl.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Jesus can't pay back 100 times--he is dead. And that generously presumes he existed at all--outside the Bible (which I do not trust), there is almost no evidence of his existence. And if he did exist, he was just an apostate Jew that died trying to ruin Judeo-Christianity. For sure, not someone that would currently have the power to reward anyone.

In fact, you would be better off leaving your family for what Jesus (and some 20 other "saviors", including Horus) represent. And that is the sun. At least that is still around, and at least you are actually going to get some benefit from it. Which is more than can be said about Christ.

• bohm
    bohm

what WTWIZARD said.

I see no reason why you should not read the scripture as it is written, and though i am no new testement scholar, to me it seem like a marketing gimmick by the early christians to take a piss on the jews (see? Job got 10x his family again, we are going to give you 100x and a free juicer if you also quit your friends!)

In reality, jesus is dead. He is going to give you your family back the same way muhammed going to hi-five you in heaven and give you 72 virgins if you kill yourself the right way.

• serein
    serein

what i wanted to know was, what did he mean when he said if anyone leaves there family for him,to follow him,

• tec
    tec

I believe He simply means to follow Him. In the same way that today, one would follow Him right out of the JW's and the lie. That might mean that you lose family members... not because you cut them off, but because they refuse to follow with you, and remain instead in a lie. But if you remain in a lie with them, then you're both just caught in a lie. If you leave the lie, they might have the strength to leave the lie as well.

He made strong statements agains divorce, so it seems unlikely that he would have been approving of it. In the same way, Paul did not advocate leaving a non-believing spouse... only that you could not be responsible if a non-believing spouse left you. (for the fact that you believed)

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

For practical purposes... you do not have to leave your family to follow Christ around the countryside. You just follow Christ, leaving behind whatever lies you had been following instead, and that your family might still follow. You go where he asks you to go - be that a physical place, or a spiritual state of being. (as in practicing turning the other cheek instead of eye for eye... as in not practicing shunning, but rather practicing serving and mercy). You let your light shine, and perhaps those family members (or others) will see that and do the same.

Peace,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty

Tec - read the context.

Jesus was an itinerant preacher, Peter and others had walked away from families and businesses to literally follow him all over Palestine.

Peter answered him, “We have left everything to follow you! What then will there be for us?”

Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, at the renewal of all things, when the Son of Man sits on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life. But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first. - Matt.19:27-30

It was not about unbelieving partners any more than it was about unbelieving fields. Jesus did actually break up families.

Modern chrstians have no concept of how radical Jesus' demands were.

Of course it made slightly more sense in the light of Jesus' mistaken belief that his parousia was iminent.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit