leaving your family for jesus

by serein 76 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

Thank you, Loz. Eloquently stated, and I am veering off the point of what I originally stated. Going down the rabbit hole, so to speak ;)

Everyone here should be able to understand leaving a system of lies in order to follow and/or learn the truth.

And Cofty, I did not ask if you knew that anyone had been left... but rather how we know that anyone had been left without support.

Peace,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty
    essentially they were leaving their Judaic law and communities...Following a man who claimed to be the Messiah without the approval of the Jewish leaders would have meant that they would have been outcast from those communities. - loz

No. Jesus was a Jewish teacher who commanded his followers to keep the Law. You are conflating history.

But remember that probably most of their extended Jewish families would have shunned them for leaving their faith. - Loz

Again you are confusing the situation after Jesus' death with the years of his ministry.

Jesus knew that his time was short and they needed all the knowledge and strength that he could impart to them.

He taught that it was time to abandon all normal relationships and follow him because the end was nigh. He deceived them in the same way Russell and Rutherford deceived us.

• cofty
    cofty

Everyone here should be able to understand leaving a system of lies in order to follow and/or learn the truth. - Tec

Leaving what system of lies?

You aren't mistaking Jesus for a christian are you? He was a Jew.

• cofty
    cofty

there is no evidence of a wife or children left without support. - Loz

So you think its ok for a man to leave his wife and children and go off following an itinerant preacher as long as he has made arrangements for them to survive do you?

Should the husband and father not be at home supporting his family, sharing his life with his wife and raising his children?

Jesus' impossible demands were premised on his belief that the end was coming very soon. He failed them.

• tec
    tec

The pharisess (I doubt all) had become hypcrites; rigid and loading people up with burdens that they could not bear. Why else would Christ tell people to come to Him, whose burden is light? Why did he condemn so many things in the pharisees and teachers of the law, if they were doing everything according to truth? Why did he tell them that they were not entering the Kingdom, and they were not allowing anyone else to enter the kingdom as well, if they were right?

There was nothing wrong with the law... but the abuse of it (the traditions that actually took away from the law), the lack of mercy or love being shown (in violation of the law)... these things He condemned.

He helped to free people from that yoke. A lie is a lie, regardless of whether one is Christian, Jew, Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim, Pagan, Some other form of spirituality, or Atheist.

Peace,

tammy

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I am not conflating history nor confusing any situation. Even Jesus' own family spoke against him when he preached in his home area. This was the son of a carpenter from the midst of the community...there was shock and controversy about his baptism and his preaching against the Pharisees, leaders of the Jewish faith, it is you that is the one conflating history, and it seems ironic that you call upon this history which you evidently doubt, to further your points.

Loz x

• tootired2care
    tootired2care
    there is no evidence of a wife or children left without support.

My question is; if this is what Jesus wanted of future followers, why would he not provide more information on how those disciples worked those very important issues out? I mean that kind of decision is arguably a bigger one than getting married. The lack of detail that would help one make a rational choice just creates so much confusion. Perhaps this is by design, so that only a few make it through the narrow gate.

• cofty
    cofty

So what did Jesus condemnation' of the Pharisees have to do with him inviting men to abandon their families?

Back on this topic - d o you think its ok for a man to leave his wife and children and go off following an itinerant preacher as long as he has made arrangements for them to survive?

Should the husband and father not be at home supporting his family, sharing his life with his wife and raising his children?

it seems ironic that you call upon this history which you evidently doubt, to further your points. - Loz

I have never doubted that Jesus was an itinerant preacher in 1st century Palestine who attracted followers with the false promise that the end of all things was nigh. I fail to see the irony.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Furthermore, in line with what Tec has said, people leaving the JWs now and leaving wives and children behind in the org would equate on a lesser level. Jesus fulfilled his promise to those disciples. He made them sons of God with all that entails. Bros leaving the WTBS without their families offer their families a freedom too, if they choose to follow. Are you decrying these for following truth too?

Loz x

• cofty
    cofty

people leaving the JWs now and leaving wives and children behind in the org would equate on a lesser level. - Loz

Complete nonsense. People today who leave the borg may lose their family as we know all too well. Jesus by contrast was inviting men to walk out on their wives and children.

Are you decrying these for following truth too?

That was a dirty trick.

(edited to correct first quote)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit